Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazor and Lewis want a fast paced style
The football life of Bob Bicknell, which began in junior high when he held the cord of his father's headsets and had to duck the incoming fruit when Jack Bicknell called the right play to get Boston College into the Tangerine Bowl, just got even more interesting Monday when he was named A.J. Green's position coach.
"That's probably the next best thing about this was an opportunity to work with someone like him," said Bicknell, the Bengals' new receivers coach who arrives via a one-year stint coaching the Baylor receivers. "You just watch what he does as a player and everyone can see that, but (also) everything I've heard about him as a person and a professional."

The first best thing for Bicknell is his reunion with Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, the quarterbacks coach in 2013 when Bicknell coached the wide receivers during Chip Kelly's first season as the Eagles' cutting edge head coach that took the NFL by storm with an up-tempo, no huddle offense.

Lazor and head coach Marvin Lewis have indicated they feel that fast-paced style suits Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, although it remains to be seen how they'll deploy it.

http://bengals.com/s/30838/embeddedNewsPath?itemUri=-1379441029/141467118146151413984303179
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:40 PM)Trademark Wrote: The football life of Bob Bicknell, which began in junior high when he held the cord of his father's headsets and had to duck the incoming fruit when Jack Bicknell called the right play to get Boston College into the Tangerine Bowl, just got even more interesting Monday when he was named A.J. Green's position coach.
"That's probably the next best thing about this was an opportunity to work with someone like him," said Bicknell, the Bengals' new receivers coach who arrives via a one-year stint coaching the Baylor receivers. "You just watch what he does as a player and everyone can see that, but (also) everything I've heard about him as a person and a professional."

The first best thing for Bicknell is his reunion with Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, the quarterbacks coach in 2013 when Bicknell coached the wide receivers during Chip Kelly's first season as the Eagles' cutting edge head coach that took the NFL by storm with an up-tempo, no huddle offense.

Lazor and head coach Marvin Lewis have indicated they feel that fast-paced style suits Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, although it remains to be seen how they'll deploy it.

http://bengals.com/s/30838/embeddedNewsPath?itemUri=-1379441029/141467118146151413984303179

My response would be if Lewis wanted that style, who was keeping them from doing it before?

Call me a Negative Nancy, but I'm not buying all these changes these coaches are preaching until I see some evidence in the offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:40 PM)Trademark Wrote: Lazor and head coach Marvin Lewis have indicated they feel that fast-paced style suits Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, although it remains to be seen how they'll deploy it.

Allow me to help them: go to a No Huddle Offense. Dalton has shown he is more than capable of thriving in the No Huddle.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My response would be if Lewis wanted that style, who was keeping them from doing it before?

Call me a Negative Nancy, but I'm not buying all these changes these coaches are preaching until I see some evidence in the offseason.

No doubt......everyone knows Hue Jackson was an ultra conservative playcaller...... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Bad news for the Defense.

Chip Kelly killed his defenses. Everywhere he went. That's one reason why his system doesn't work. Fast paced offense sound good until you go 3 and out and then the D is back on the field after less then 1 minute (off the play clock).

Chip Kellys' D's are pretty much done come the 4th quarter. Hopefully there was a lesson learned during his time with him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 05:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bad news for the Defense.

Chip Kelly killed his defenses. Everywhere he went. That's one reason why his system doesn't work. Fast paced offense sound good until you go 3 and out and then the D is back on the field after less then 1 minute (off the play clock).

Chip Kellys' D's are pretty much done come the 4th quarter. Hopefully there was a lesson learned during his time with him.

I'd like to see them run a quicker pace more like what they had under Hue who preached the same thing in Cincy. Right now they are going into the huddle almost every snap...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

You don't go no huddle or hurry up until you get a first down.  Problem solved.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My response would be if Lewis wanted that style, who was keeping them from doing it before?

What was keeping him from doing it before was his entire game philosophy, which was get up a score or two and then play ultra-conservative.

My only problem with this is Marvin needs to know when to run this and when to slow it down and go to a huddle.  If we're up two scores or a score, then you don't want to go ultra-conservative in a run-only mode, but you also don't want to run hurry-up and leave time on the clock.  First downs milk the clock.  

Another example would be at the end of the first half and we're driving because, sure, we want to score, but we also don't want to go three and out or even get a first down or two but do it so fast that the other team has time on the clock to put together a drive of their own.

This makes me nervous  Nervous
(01-09-2018, 04:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Allow me to help them: go to a No Huddle Offense. Dalton has shown he is more than capable of thriving in the No Huddle.
See above.  I agree that we need to do it some, but we can't do it all the time and, with Marvin's failures to make in-game adjustments, I'd rather us not do it if we're not going to huddle up sometimes (some entire drives when we need to slow the game or control the clock).

Like I said, I'm PRAYING that we don't do it all the time.

I'm going to make it a priority to go to training camp to tell that to Marvin and Dalton because I'm sure they'd value the opinion of a cripple  ThumbsUp

Hilarious
(01-09-2018, 05:53 PM)McC Wrote: You don't go no huddle or hurry up until you get a first down.  Problem solved.

That's a good theory, and you also don't have to run it all game every series.  It's good to be able to switch it up a bit.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:40 PM)Trademark Wrote: The football life of Bob Bicknell, which began in junior high when he held the cord of his father's headsets and had to duck the incoming fruit when Jack Bicknell called the right play to get Boston College into the Tangerine Bowl, just got even more interesting Monday when he was named A.J. Green's position coach.

I like it. Switch it up. Glad we are going a more aggressive style on Offense. Dalton is always pretty good when we go more
no huddle and he can get into a rhythm. It is all about rhythm with QB's and RB's, need to have both Mixon and Gio on the
field at the same time. Really like the fact both these guys can run good routes and play the Slot in a pinch.

Also like hearing Lazor having some say and being able to bring in his guy for the new WR coach.

I liked Urban but for some reason he wasn't able to get anything out of Core this year after all the hooplah in the Offseason.
Reply/Quote
Even if they plan on doing so, why offer this up?  You don't even know what your personal will be to run it significantly.  You don't even know if Andy will have to run for his life or maybe most important if you can even run the ball.

This comes across like crumbs to appease the fans that give the team the benefit of the doubt at all times, and to distract the others.  Change for the sake of change. That may not be why you say this, but it would be like Austin and Marin saying they're going to blitz more.  Wait I didn't listen to the presser, did they?
Reply/Quote
 You still need an offensive line to run this style right ? Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Glad to hear they are talking change. Yet just need to mix it up enough to keep them off balance.

Maybe as suggested wait until after a 1st down or two to keep defense fresh.

Plus seems it would work better after maybe two 1st downs because their defense would be a little winded then anyway.

Or when you want to exploit a certain defensive package.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Actually this is the style I remember most in 2015,more no huddle and hue preaching faster pace ,along with more fire and drive by the whole team till Andy got hurt.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:35 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Actually this is the style I remember most in 2015,more no huddle and hue preaching faster pace ,along with more fire and drive by the whole team till Andy got hurt.

We’ve had a lot of success with it before.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 06:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What was keeping him from doing it before was his entire game philosophy, which was get up a score or two and then play ultra-conservative.

My only problem with this is Marvin needs to know when to run this and when to slow it down and go to a huddle.  If we're up two scores or a score, then you don't want to go ultra-conservative in a run-only mode, but you also don't want to run hurry-up and leave time on the clock.  First downs milk the clock.  

Another example would be at the end of the first half and we're driving because, sure, we want to score, but we also don't want to go three and out or even get a first down or two but do it so fast that the other team has time on the clock to put together a drive of their own.

This makes me nervous  Nervous
See above.  I agree that we need to do it some, but we can't do it all the time and, with Marvin's failures to make in-game adjustments, I'd rather us not do it if we're not going to huddle up sometimes (some entire drives when we need to slow the game or control the clock).
Like I said, I'm PRAYING that we don't do it all the time.

I'm going to make it a priority to go to training camp to tell that to Marvin and Dalton because I'm sure they'd value the opinion of a cripple  ThumbsUp

Hilarious

That's a good theory, and you also don't have to run it all game every series.  It's good to be able to switch it up a bit.

This is my point. Are we really to expect Marvin is JUST coming to this realization that the offense was slow-paced? Or is it more likely Marvin is saying these things but will ultimately go back to his same old ways because it's ingrained in his approach after 15 years? I'm leaning the latter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 06:34 PM)phil413 Wrote: Even if they plan on doing so, why offer this up?  You don't even know what your personal will be to run it significantly.  You don't even know if Andy will have to run for his life or maybe most important if you can even run the ball.

This comes across like crumbs to appease the fans that give the team the benefit of the doubt at all times, and to distract the others.  Change for the sake of change. That may not be why you say this, but it would be like Austin and Marin saying they're going to blitz more.  Wait I didn't listen to the presser, did they?

(01-10-2018, 12:01 AM)lone bengal Wrote:  You still need an offensive line to run this style right ?  Sarcasm

I am as down on this deal and the offensive line as anyone, BUT, you gotta admit the line looked better when Lazor switched up the blocking scheme to suit the players we have.  The run game was much better, and the protection became at least adequate.  The elephant in the room is gone now, I'm very cautiously somewhat optimistic at this point.  May as well be.

Reply/Quote
Every year in the off-season we hear about changing the style, to more aggressive approach, offense, defense, free agency you name it. So I'll believe it when I see it
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 11:42 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Every year in the off-season we hear about changing the style,  to more aggressive approach,  offense,  defense, free agency you name it.  So I'll believe it when I see it

Agree with that.....time will tell.  The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope was the changes to the blocking scheme seemed to work.....along with playing different players.

Reply/Quote

Who else thinks that Marvin wants this so his team might FINALLY be able to run a hurry-up/2 minute drill?  But, he probably doesn't understand that it is more about matching personnel without subs than actually working faster.  Poor, Marv...15 years and zero hurry up offenses...
Reply/Quote