Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazor breaks down the lack of Mixon's carries.
(10-24-2017, 01:55 PM)depthchart Wrote: I agree that Lazor brushed it off but should he ?

Establishing Authority as I suggest in Bill Belichick style would need to be applied team wide and just doing it now to Mixon may not help that much if it is not done as a New Principle. I say we need to establish some Authority but we likely won't.

This team has a number of players that like to Spout off after games and the 20 year old Mixon may start a bad pattern if he gets coddled in a way now.

As for Hill, I would expect him to do some thumping if given a 1st half start against the Colts. I doubt it would harm our chances of beating the Colts in the slightest if Mixon watched for the 1st half. It would, however, send Mixon a message that I think he needs to learn now before he becomes a Diva.

I agree with what you're saying......but then I recall Merv stepping all over Paulie G's sack when he called out the vets last season during the bye.  Might as well shitcan the whole bunch, and I've said as much in multiple threads.

That said, the premise of the thread here, is that I appreciated the insight Lazor provided versus hum-drum, giggle, giggle.  After all, Merv is the HC, not Lazor.  Merv did tell Mixon to essentially shut up, so I guess that part was good of him....but I just like the way Lazor opened up his philosophy.  Yeah, his plan didn't work out, but it was a solid plan on the fly, IMO.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: My how refreshing.  Instead of telling the kid to shut up and grow up, our OC says he understands Mixon's concerns, and breaks down why he didn't get many touches:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28659/bengals-oc-bill-lazor-explains-joe-mixons-lack-of-carries-vs-steelers

As I suggested. Inefficient passing in the 2nd half led to lack of touches for Joe.

I hope Andy takes it better when the OC says it than when a rookie RB says it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The problem with this statement, is that only three skill players on the Bengals deserve touches. 
Gio, Mixon and AJ. 

Right now the offense should be built around them. 
Who cares if Lafell, Boyd or Hill get touches?
They aren't good. 

The team stuck their neck out for Mixon they should be using him to maximize his skill set to show it wasn't for naught. 

What in the blue *HELL* is the point of drafting Mixon if you don't use him like he should be used?

F*ck the other teams defense. Force them to adjust to YOU. 

Except that, for now, just about every team in the league dictates to us what we can and can't do because of the shit show up front.  We saw what a coordinator that refused to adjust his scheme to what defenses were doing to us got us......

I think he absolutely features Green, Sunday, Pitt took him away.  We can't run the ball, regardless of who's toting it.  There weren't very many options at that point.  

Now, IF you have the horses up front, you absolutely do it your way.  With our limp wristed approach up front, we ain't forcing anyone to do shit....face it.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with what you're saying......but then I recall Merv stepping all over Paulie G's sack when he called out the vets last season during the bye.  Might as well shitcan the whole bunch, and I've said as much in multiple threads.

That said, the premise of the thread here, is that I appreciated the insight Lazor provided versus hum-drum, giggle, giggle.  After all, Merv is the HC, not Lazor.  Merv did tell Mixon to essentially shut up, so I guess that part was good of him....but I just like the way Lazor opened up his philosophy.  Yeah, his plan didn't work out, but it was a solid plan on the fly, IMO.

I see where you are coming from now.

Lazor actually explained some things versus talking but saying nothing like Marvin does.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I suggested. Inefficient passing in the 2nd half led to lack of touches for Joe.

5 untouched blockers, constant pressure, and two turnovers will do that to you every time.......still fail to see where Mixon said anything about Andy Dalton.  That's a YUGE reach.....don't really want a Dalton discussion here.  

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:40 PM)depthchart Wrote: I see where you are coming from now.

Lazor actually explained some things versus talking but saying nothing like Marvin does.

Right. :andy:

I appreciated the candor.....and actually learning what he was seeing and thinking.

Also, very much agree about the necessity for an authoritarian.  If you are going to take guys with red flags, you better have someone who will stay on their ass.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: 5 untouched blockers, constant pressure, and two turnovers will do that to you every time.......still fail to see where Mixon said anything about Andy Dalton.  That's a YUGE reach.....don't really want a Dalton discussion here.  

Yep, I agree. Just not sure how the QB can avoid being a topic in such discussions.

Reply/Quote
Maybe they shouldn't have drafted their third second-round RB if they were going to make him ride the bench.
That's what Day 3 RBs are meant for.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Except that, for now, just about every team in the league dictates to us what we can and can't do because of the shit show up front.  We saw what a coordinator that refused to adjust his scheme to what defenses were doing to us got us......

I think he absolutely features Green, Sunday, Pitt took him away.  We can't run the ball, regardless of who's toting it.  There weren't very many options at that point.  

Now, IF you have the horses up front, you absolutely do it your way.  With our limp wristed approach up front, we ain't forcing anyone to do shit....face it.

0 targets in the second half while it was still a game.
Mixon had 0 touches when it was a one score game.

Bull ***** shit. 

We took them away ourselves. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, I agree. Just not sure how the QB can avoid being a topic in such discussions.

This is kinda about how Lazor told about why Mixon didn't see the ball, but it's more about the fact that he actually bothered to tell us why instead of "Let's Go!"....."need to execute better"....."we did some good things".

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: 0 targets in the second half while it was still a game.

Bull ***** shit. 

Two targets in the second half, and one he fumbled......but I agree, before we down two scores, we should have seen what we had with him.

Still, we ain't doing shit against a good defense with this line.  

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: 0 targets in the second half while it was still a game.

Bull ***** shit. 

Exactly. It should be noted that it became a 12-point game with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and didn't go to a 15-point game until 5 minutes remaining in the game. They had plenty of time.
The Bengals act like a 12-point deficit is such a huge hole to get out of, which it's not. Ask the Packers, Patriots, Falcons, etc.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, I agree. Just not sure how the QB can avoid being a topic in such discussions.

Well, since you were the one that brought up the QB, maybe not mentioning the QB will go a long ways towards not making the QB a topic in a non-QB discussion. Just some food for thought. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The problem with this statement, is that only three skill players on the Bengals deserve touches. 
Gio, Mixon and AJ. 

Right now the offense should be built around them. 
Who cares if Lafell, Boyd or Hill get touches?
They aren't good. 

The team stuck their neck out for Mixon they should be using him to maximize his skill set to show it wasn't for naught. 

What in the blue *HELL* is the point of drafting Mixon if you don't use him like he should be used?

F*ck the other teams defense. Force them to adjust to YOU. 

Cannot argue with this, if Ross ever gets healthy he should be in this discussion cause he is very talented but
these guys have pretty much shown what they can do and it isn't anything special. No Eifert anymore which also
blowz. Kroft has done well though as of late.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I suggested. Inefficient passing in the 2nd half led to lack of touches for Joe.

Agreed two quick interceptions limited his second half touches, but because he was a huge reason they were moving the ball in the first half they should have went with the hot hand coming out of the locker room in the second half.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We have a way of draining the life out of talented young RBs by not giving them the blocking they need. Just give it a year or two and Mixon will look like a dead man walking out there on run plays just like the rest of our RBs.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly. It should be noted that it became a 12-point game with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and didn't go to a 15-point game until 5 minutes remaining in the game. They had plenty of time.
The Bengals act like a 12-point deficit is such a huge hole to get out of, which it's not. Ask the Packers, Patriots, Falcons, etc.

Reminds me of......dare I say.....the 2013 SD playoff game.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:24 PM)Synric Wrote: Agreed two quick interceptions limited his second half touches, but because he was a huge reason they were moving the ball in the first half they should have went with the hot hand coming out of the locker room in the second half.

Which is why I don't get letting Hill start the halves......

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, since you were the one that brought up the QB, maybe not mentioning the QB will go a long ways towards not making the QB a topic in a non-QB discussion. Just some food for thought. 

Lazor "brought up" the passing game plenty in the link. If you think a link that refers often to the passing game is a non-QB discussion then that's your right I suppose. I just felt the topic of the OP should be considered. 

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:24 PM)Synric Wrote: Agreed two quick interceptions limited his second half touches, but because he was a huge reason they were moving the ball in the first half they should have went with the hot hand coming out of the locker room in the second half.

I think they were going with the hot hand as Andy the passing game looked great in the first half. I would have loved to see them come out and try to establish the running game in the second half but perhaps Marvin is not conservative enough. 

Reply/Quote