Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazor's Offense
It is far too early to applaud Lazor for what he has done. The run game still looks a bit wonky, and the Dallas game we looked extremely timid (downright boring). That being said, I have noticed something, something that I'm sure has probably been passed around a lot (if it has, I apologize).

Perhaps this is something we SHOULD have saved for the regular season, but we are moving AJ everywhere. Seems like AJ has been primarily been on the outs, his entire career. I feel like that's almost detrimental to a man with that kind of talent, especially when you see what Pittsburgh does with their receivers (you can name others). When you shrink the field, I feel like that size can actually hurt you. Sure, you don't want AJ running across the field to get BLOWN up (I feel like Chad probably lost thousands of brain cells via this method). However, I've seen him line up in a variety of spots, and almost EVERY time, he's wide open.

Have you guys noticed any other minor details about the new offense that might have you happy or excited?

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 06:15 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Have you guys noticed any other minor details about the new offense that might have you happy or excited?

Dont know if I'd call it minor but our starting O has already scored more touchdowns then the first 4 preseason and 3 regular season games of last year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 06:45 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Dont know if I'd call it minor but our starting O has already scored more touchdowns then the first 4 preseason and 3 regular season games of last year. 

That's important, because in the NFL, it's usually the team that scores more points that wins.   Ninja 

R.I.P. - John Madden
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 06:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's important, because in the NFL, it's usually the team that scores more points that wins.   Ninja 

R.I.P. - John Madden

LOL. Maddenisms for the win. 

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 06:45 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Dont know if I'd call it minor but our starting O has already scored more touchdowns then the first 4 preseason and 3 regular season games of last year. 

That's actually pretty damn sad. 

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 06:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's important, because in the NFL, it's usually the team that scores more points that wins.   Ninja 

R.I.P. - John Madden

Don't do that. I was legitimately worried that John Madden died.

Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see this year what Lazor's offense truly is.......last year he was thrown to the wolves and had to work with the piano man and no O-line......Frank Pollack, a healthy John Ross, a healthy Tyler Eifert (fingers crossed) and a group of talented backs should provide a fun offensive year......just maybe the best offense we have seen the in the last 6 years
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Love the OP and definitely understand the concern. We’ve seen AJ get blown up before going across the middle. It only takes 1 play and AJ is done. Then we are avg at best.

Reply/Quote
The route trees are much improved. We see guys running free at various depths like we've not seen around here in a long time.

Now. Fix the damn Oline!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:37 PM)Shady Wrote: The route trees are much improved. We see guys running free at various depths like we've not seen around here in a long time.

Now. Fix the damn Oline!!

I also like they were running a few more pick plays than in previous years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:38 PM)Synric Wrote: I also like they were running a few more pick plays than in previous years.

Yep, and I can't wait to see Ross catch one of those and take to it the house! Hooah!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Even with the Zampese excuse I would feel better if we didn't have the 32nd ranked offense last year. Time will tell how much better we are this year.
Reply/Quote
I suspect we haven't even seen the tip of the Lazor Offense yet. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 08:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect we haven't even seen the tip of the Lazor Offense yet. 

Beat me to it Sled

Will it be top of the heap ? Will it be a dud ? we'll soon enough see
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 11:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Even with the Zampese excuse I would feel better if we didn't have the 32nd ranked offense last year.   Time will tell how much better we are this year.

I can only imagimagine what that coaches room looked like last year.

Zampese fired so Lazor was pulling double duty as OC and QB coach. The offensive line coach throwing a hissy fit because someone questioned his methods. Urban couldn't have been happy being passed on for OC not once...not twice...but three times. And of course Marvin Lewis just looked annoyed and you could tell by this press conferencees late last season how bad it all was...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:29 AM)Synric Wrote: I can only imagimagine what that coaches room looked like last year.

Zampese fired so Lazor was pulling double duty as OC and QB coach. The offensive line coach throwing a hissy fit because someone questioned his methods. Urban couldn't have been happy being passed on for OC not once...not twice...but three times. And of course Marvin Lewis just looked annoyed and you could tell by this press conferencees late last season how bad it all was...

Hey, like I said...there are excuses and we made changes and we should be a lot better this year.  Still, I realize we are talking about a unit going from dead last in the league to top 10 or so.  It can happen, but the Browns could go from 0-16 to 10-6 too, in theory.  They made changes and blah blah blah.

I'd feel better about this stuff if we weren't 32 last year after firing Zampese only 2 games in and if the running game looked competent in pre-season thus far.  Fingers crossed, and all that.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:09 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Beat me to it Sled

Will it be top of the heap ? Will it be a dud ? we'll soon enough see

Sounds almost like the commercial for the old board game from the 70s, Mystery Date. My sisters had that one and I never got to play! Cry
Geeez.. Why can I remember board game commercials from when I was a kid but can't remember much of anything that happened yesterday ? Short term memory loss I guess.. hmmm   If only I had gotten to play Mystery Date.. My life would be complete..
Just in case you missed all the excitement of Mystery Date.. https://youtu.be/XHsQpTbQ9Uo
Nobody can say I was ever a wierdo..huh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 06:15 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: It is far too early to applaud Lazor for what he has done. The run game still looks a bit wonky, and the Dallas game we looked extremely timid (downright boring). That being said, I have noticed something, something that I'm sure has probably been passed around a lot (if it has, I apologize).

Perhaps this is something we SHOULD have saved for the regular season, but we are moving AJ everywhere. Seems like AJ has been primarily been on the outs, his entire career. I feel like that's almost detrimental to a man with that kind of talent, especially when you see what Pittsburgh does with their receivers (you can name others). When you shrink the field, I feel like that size can actually hurt you. Sure, you don't want AJ running across the field to get BLOWN up (I feel like Chad probably lost thousands of brain cells via this method). However, I've seen him line up in a variety of spots, and almost EVERY time, he's wide open.

Have you guys noticed any other minor details about the new offense that might have you happy or excited?

have seen aj take plays from the slot before  we have used it a few times to get him mismatched and open for a big play... its not really new.  We might be doing it more often though which isn't bad
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 06:15 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: It is far too early to applaud Lazor for what he has done. The run game still looks a bit wonky, and the Dallas game we looked extremely timid (downright boring). That being said, I have noticed something, something that I'm sure has probably been passed around a lot (if it has, I apologize).

This may be an unpopular view but I actually think the OC who maybe looked to feature and get AJ involved the most was Zampese  - maybe you could argue he tried to rely on him too much...

That first year Zamp was OC , AJ Green was having his best career year to date and was comfortably going to break all his receptions and yardage highs for a season.  He did all that in just over half a season as he then got shut down - that was the year he lost his streak of 1000yd seasons Sad

Its a double edged sword I think for an OC and Aj Green.  

If you feature him he'll blow up and have an all pro 100+ , 1500+ year but the team may finish 7-9.   

He ONLY goes 90+, 1200+ as part of a more balanced offense and Andy Has a better year and we win 10+ games.
Reply/Quote