Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazor wants to push Andy past his limitations
“It’s how do you coach players?” Lazor said, via the team’s website. “You have to push him past his limitations. If you’re always practicing what he does well, then Andy will continue to be what he is. If I put him in tough situations [in practice], he can test his limits and grow as a player. I’ll be able to push him and I expect him to be up to the challenge.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/04/bill-lazor-wants-to-push-andy-dalton-past-his-limitations/
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
I’m all for Andy not being what he is.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 07:49 PM)Trademark Wrote: “It’s how do you coach players?” Lazor said, via the team’s website. “You have to push him past his limitations. If you’re always practicing what he does well, then Andy will continue to be what he is.  If I put him in tough situations [in practice], he can test his limits and grow as a player. I’ll be able to push him and I expect him to be up to the challenge.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/04/bill-lazor-wants-to-push-andy-dalton-past-his-limitations/

What? This doesn't sound like striving for mediocrity to me.

Weird.
Reply/Quote
Didn't not having a line push him pretty far?
Reply/Quote
I’m starting to really like Lazor...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd too would like to see Lazor in positions he's not comfortable with. Why not start with you've been a mediocre QB over the last couple years, the starting job is not your's to lose, but your's to earn, and have an open competition. I like that Rudolph kid out of not The OSU.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd too would like to see Lazor in positions he's not comfortable with. Why not start with you've been a mediocre QB over the last couple years, the starting job is not your's to lose, but your's to earn, and have an open competition. I like that Rudolph kid out of not The OSU.

Exactly. I want him to shove a gun in his face and say, “The next out of bounds throw pulls this trigger!”

Too much?

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Exactly. I want him to shove a gun in his face and say, “The next out of bounds throw pulls this trigger!”

Too much?

Just a tad bit...
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Exactly. I want him to shove a gun in his face and say, “The next out of bounds throw pulls this trigger!”

Too much?

....or just brandish a pair of scissors and let him know the next time he runs out of the pocket prematurely then rubber wedding band gets it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Dalton needs to go back to his one trainer and work on the deep ball and side line throws
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd too would like to see Lazor in positions he's not comfortable with. Why not start with you've been a mediocre QB over the last couple years, the starting job is not your's to lose, but your's to earn, and have an open competition. I like that Rudolph kid out of not The OSU.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but what round is Mason Rudolph looking to go? Was impressed with him too.

If we get the O-line looking good i still wouldn't mind bringing in one of these QB's to sit behind Andy for a few years.
Reply/Quote
What limitations could he have left? What is practice going to entail when actual games consisted of no OL and receivers running bad routes?

I'm not anti-Andy, but trying to 'push him to his limits' doesn't seem like it's going to fix the issues with his game. It's like Marvin Lewis said "Hey, Lazerbeam, come up with a retread of 'We've got to do things better' and you can handle any post game."
Reply/Quote
In the '81 opener Kenny wasn't getting it done. So, Forest told him to grab some pine and he threw Turkt into the game. The team rallied and won. Was Kenny so delicate and distraught that he collapsed into the fetal position the rest of the season? Nope, he got back on the horse and road it all the way to Pontiac. Wished to hell Marvin would have tried that with Andy...oh....any of the numerous times he's stunk up the joint over the years. No one should be above being yanked from a game, ever.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't want to hi-jack the thread but what round is Mason Rudolph looking to go? Was impressed with him too.

If we get the O-line looking good i still wouldn't mind bringing in one of these QB's to sit behind Andy for a few years.

He's currently being talked about as a late day 2, early day 3 prospect. 

I think the sneaky QB prospect is Lamar Jackson actually, who would be available.. but isn't our biggest need. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:36 PM)Benton Wrote: What limitations could he have left? What is practice going to entail when actual games consisted of no OL and receivers running bad routes?

I'm not anti-Andy, but trying to 'push him to his limits' doesn't seem like it's going to fix the issues with his game. It's like Marvin Lewis said "Hey, Lazerbeam, come up with a retread of 'We've got to do things better' and you can handle any post game."

The man already stated that he intends to implement more roll outs and designed throws from on the run.  I think that he looked at some Dalton college film, and decided it was time to use his mobility.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:43 PM)thillan Wrote: He's currently being talked about as a late day 2, early day 3 prospect. 

I think the sneaky QB prospect is Lamar Jackson actually, who would be available.. but isn't our biggest need. 
I predict Rudolph will not make it out of the second round.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 08:43 PM)thillan Wrote: He's currently being talked about as a late day 2, early day 3 prospect. 

Thanks Thillan, i actually like Rudolph cause he is a pocket passer and he can run if he wants to.

Not a fan of Lamar Jackson, great running QB, one of the best but have never been impressed with him passing out of the pocket.

(01-04-2018, 08:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The man already stated that he intends to implement more roll outs and designed throws from on the run.  I think that he looked at some Dalton college film, and decided it was time to use his mobility.

And this sounds like a good idea to me until the O-line improves. It isn't going to happen immediately even with a new O-line coach
and some draft picks. Face it, Lazor was put into this position and has to roll with what Zamp to a point and PA to a point gave him
early. Just will be nice that we moved on from these terrible coaches and have a chance at something new.
Reply/Quote
I'm listening...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I find it disheartening that we haven't been doing this all along. Would explain why he can look so off when things go awry.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 09:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I find it disheartening that we haven't been doing this all along. Would explain why he can look so off when things go awry.

Consistency has always been the problem with both Dalton and before him Palmer...

I blame Zampese probably most of all, but we cannot forget that dead horse that i just keep beating.
Reply/Quote