Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Le'Veon Bell Threatens To Sit Out Next Season If He's Franchised
Bell doesn't want to be franchised, but will the Steelers pay him big bucks?

Who's going to blink first?

If I had to guess, I'd say Bell caves, but he's trying to be the tough guy right now:

Quote:Le'Veon Bell played on the franchise tag in 2017. The Steelers star running back said he won’t do it again.

Bell threatened to sit out, or retire, if the Steelers franchise him again in 2018.

“I hope it doesn’t come to that, but I would definitely consider it,” Bell told Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.

He wants a long-term deal in Pittsburgh or elsewhere, leaving the Steelers with a decision.

Bell earned $12.1 million on the franchise tag in 2017. That number projects to around $14.5 million for next season. Bell, who, in the offseason, turned down a deal worth up to $30 million in the first two years, via Fowler, said the Steelers need to “value” him.

“Just get the numbers straight, exactly where we want them,” Bell said. “I’m not going to settle for anything. I know what I do and what I bring to the table. I’m not going out here getting the ball 400 times if I’m not getting what I feel I’m valued at.”

Bell, 25, earned first-team All-Pro honors after rushing for 1,291 yards on 321 carries and catching 85 passes for 655 yards. He scored 11 total touchdowns.

Bell told Fowler if he sits out the 2018 season, he is unlikely to return.

“It will eventually come down to me playing on the tag or not,” Bell said. “They tag me again, it will be me [saying], ‘OK, do I want to play on the tag or do I not want to play on the tag?’ That’s what it comes down to. If I was a free agent and they let me go, be a free agent, then yeah, I’m going to go explore free agency, test the market.”
Reply/Quote
He flapped his gums about this last year then showed up for game #1. 

It's all hot air and drama. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
A: He didn’t even rap it terribly in a video? Ripoff.

B: Why run his weed canal about it now? So much for all that patience.
Reply/Quote
To be fair, they are trying to run the legs right off him. If Ben retires, it won't matter if he plays or not.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Who?

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 08:25 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Who?

My thoughts exactly. He’s only good because of that Oline always stretching cloth. And they know that, that’s why they are reluctant to pay him.

Reply/Quote
He's talking about this now? During the playoffs? How about a "no comment."

I do like the genius of taking zero and possibly retiring because $14 million doesn't cut it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 10:33 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: My thoughts exactly. He’s only good because of that Oline always stretching cloth. And they know that, that’s why they are reluctant to pay him.

I wish they’d ‘stretch cloth’ when he’s out too, because there’s definitely a drop off in those instances.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:01 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I wish they’d ‘stretch cloth’ when he’s out too, because there’s definitely a drop off in those instances.

Is there? Legitimate question, because I don’t know.

If they ran the backup into the ground with the same usage rate of Bell I would bet they’d put up similar numbers. I hope they break the bank for him.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:01 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I wish they’d ‘stretch cloth’ when he’s out too, because there’s definitely a drop off in those instances.

But I thought John Conner was the second coming?

Reply/Quote
If Ben retires, you've got to pay the man while you draft/develop a QB while bringing in a mid tier FA. If not, then they'll be okay if they resign Ridley and Conner. IMO Bryant is the X factor. The Steelers have him for 1 more year and if he can play like he's capable (like he has the last 2 or 3 games), then the offense will do just fine with R&C.

The loss of Shazier is what is more concerning to me, long term. Defense has been on the rise and will take a step or two back without him. Not only was he good, but he was the brains of that D.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:35 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: If Ben retires, you've got to pay the man while you draft/develop a QB while bringing in a mid tier FA. If not, then they'll be okay if they resign Ridley and Conner. IMO Bryant is the X factor. The Steelers have him for 1 more year and if he can play like he's capable (like he has the last 2 or 3 games), then the offense will do just fine with R&C.

The loss of Shazier is what is more concerning to me, long term. Defense has been on the rise and will take a step or two back without him. Not only was he good, but he was the brains of that D.

Aside from the Oline stretching cloth, Bell excels from having ben. If ben goes, his play will drastically fall. Bell will become average at best because then he will only have the Oline to fall back on.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:48 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Aside from the Oline stretching cloth, Bell excels from having ben. If ben goes, his  play will drastically fall. Bell will become average at best because then he will only have the Oline to fall back on.

Not if you have a good enough QB to get the ball to Brown/JJ/Bryant. Go ahead and stack the box and leave anyone of those guys one on one. Even Andy Dalton could get it there.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 08:25 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Who?

How old are you, 15?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 10:33 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: My thoughts exactly. He’s only good because of that Oline always stretching cloth. And they know that, that’s why they are reluctant to pay him.
Your a real expert on football. You should pass some of that vast knowledge you have onto your Bumgals so they stop being Cleveland south. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 08:04 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: How old are you, 15?

(01-13-2018, 08:06 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Your a real expert on football. You should pass some of that vast knowledge you have onto your Bumgals so they stop being Cleveland south. ThumbsUp

Seriously?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 08:06 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: You should pass some of that vast knowledge...

To the left, in honor of it being a Bell thread.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 08:14 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Seriously?

He’s a real expert on spelling.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 08:06 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Your a real expert on football. You should pass some of that vast knowledge you have onto your Bumgals so they stop being Cleveland south. ThumbsUp

Aww poor little balls (heh) did the truth hurt you, little guy?

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 10:31 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Aww poor little balls (heh) did the truth hurt you, little guy?
Hi Brad. Why would the Bumgals being Cleveland south hurt my feelings?
Reply/Quote