Poll: ?
Dalton is a legitimate team leader.
Dalton is a try-hard/fake leader, and NFL players can detect that.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leadership is earned, not appointed.
McCarron showed far better leadership than Dalton ever has in leading the team back from that abortion of a game with an 80 yard TD drive. Does anyone find it troubling that Marvin/Whit said they "passed" the leadership baton to Andy Dalton? Maybe he's just not cut out to be a leader. You can't force somebody to be something they're not. How can you be a leader and tell other people what to do -- call them out for their mistakes -- when you're constantly sailing interceptions left, right, and center? (and you come off as a complete cornball but that's another story) I kind of laughed when I read about Dalton "chewing out" Bodine for snap issues. At least he's doing that during practice and not during games. For Dalton it's the reverse -- front-runner when everything is going right, absolutely panics and self-destructs when the chips are down. We're in serious trouble if this is who we appointed as "leaders."

A lot of people blame Green, anybody but the QB, but when you have "fake leaders" running the show, people trying to assume roles they're not good at, does this not hurt team morale and have a trickle-down effect? I am 100% sure elite players would not be making so many sloppy errors if Peyton Manning (even the hobbled, no-feeling-in-fingertips form) were running the show. He just wouldn't allow it. When Dalton hits you with the "Aww shucks, please stop that" try-hard "leadership," it rings hollow.

Do you want this man leading your team?

The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
Meh, I'm not one to defend Dalton but did you even watch the game last night? McCarron either has a dead arm or he has some sort of aversion to throwing the football. The last play rather than chuck up a prayer he just decided to take a sack like a real "winner." Meh.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A leader wouldn't have concerned himself with fixing his hair just messy-metrosexual enough and garnering a joker-esque smirk for an in game interview after he completely shit the bed on national TV. Been done with this guy for years.
Reply/Quote
None of us can judge Dalton's leadership because we are not inside of the team.

Seriously, how do you guys decide if Dalton is a leader or not? You can't just base it on how well the team plays Otherwise you would be stuck arguing that Mark Sanchez was a great leader when the Jets were playing in back-to-back Conference Championship games or that Brett Favre was a poor leader in '05 when the packers went 4-12.

So how exactly are we supposed to tell if dalton is a leader or not?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm not one to defend Dalton but did you even watch the game last night?  McCarron either has a dead arm or he has some sort of aversion to throwing the football.  The last play rather than chuck up a prayer he just decided to take a sack like a real "winner."  Meh.

His short/medium throws were more crisp than Dalton's.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:22 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: Do you want this man leading your team?

Hysterical

Probably jamming to Christian rap
Reply/Quote
So McCarron is a better leader because he was able to dink and dunk on 2nd/3rd stringers who were basically playing prevent defense? Yeah, that really inspires confidence.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm not one to defend Dalton but did you even watch the game last night?  McCarron either has a dead arm or he has some sort of aversion to throwing the football.  The last play rather than chuck up a prayer he just decided to take a sack like a real "winner."  Meh.

Agree.  McCarron did not look that great.  
Reply/Quote
While I agree that Dalton doesn't appear to be the best leader; your synopsis on why he's a bad leader and how McCarron "showed far better leadership" is simply baffling. I understand it was a horrible game to watch and a pitiful performance by the team, but come on man.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:45 PM)Interceptor Wrote: His short/medium throws were more crisp than Dalton's.

Yea playing against 3rd stringers in prevent-D really shines that arm talent.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of us can judge Dalton's leadership because we are not inside of the team.

Seriously, how do you guys decide if Dalton is a leader or not? You can't just base it on how well the team plays  Otherwise you would be stuck arguing that Mark Sanchez was a great leader when the Jets were playing in back-to-back Conference Championship games or that Brett Favre was a poor leader in '05 when the packers went 4-12.

Actually, you are right. I wish I could change my answer on the poll. Some are saying Dunlap's actions during Dalton's live interview showed disrespect and proved Dalton's not a leader.  I think they show that Guenther has lost control of the defense.  I doubt he would have done that under Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:56 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Some are saying Dunlap's actions during Dalton's live interview showed disrespect and proved Dalton's not a leader.  I think they show that Guenther has lost control of the defense.  I doubt he would have done that under Zimmer.

Or it could be you know.... guys having fun being close teammates in a pointless pre-season game.... you know cause it doesn't matter?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:54 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Yea playing against 3rd stringers in prevent-D really shines that arm talent.

What's Dalton's excuse?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:58 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Or it could be you know.... guys having fun being close teammates in a pointless pre-season game.... you know cause it doesn't matter?

It was disrespectful to do that on live tv.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of us can judge Dalton's leadership because we are not inside of the team.

Seriously, how do you guys decide if Dalton is a leader or not? You can't just base it on how well the team plays  Otherwise you would be stuck arguing that Mark Sanchez was a great leader when the Jets were playing in back-to-back Conference Championship games or that Brett Favre was a poor leader in '05 when the packers went 4-12.

Look no further:

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Pregame-Huddle-Wild-Card-Colts/15e8ffa9-dfc2-4dd5-bc7f-836839c932dc

This off-season, it felt like Whit just said "$%&@ it, we'll let Dalton do it" after he got upset about his future with the team. You can also watch interviews with Andy and get a feel for what he's like (cornball, would make a great summer camp leader but not an NFL huddle). If you think he becomes some kind of convincing leader when the cameras are off him, you will probably be disappointed. All this to say it's disturbing that Dalton was "given" the leadership role; the baton was "passed" to him.

Adam Jones, please save us. [Image: default_pray.gif]

Sweetness Wrote:While I agree that Dalton doesn't appear to be the best leader; your synopsis on why he's a bad leader and how McCarron "showed far better leadership" is simply baffling. I understand it was a horrible game to watch and a pitiful performance by the team, but come on man.

I never said he played stunning or mistake-free football. He did not have the deer in the headlights look that Dalton has any time things go wrong. There were many things that went wrong, but the entire time he looked like he commanded the huddle and believed he'd come back on the next drive and right the ship (which he did on the TD drive). When things start going horribly wrong, Dalton has that familiar look like he just soiled himself a little and you can't say it doesn't rub off on the whole team when "Bad Andy" shows up. Can it really be argued McCarron looked like a more confident, convincing leader? After the safety he was like "ain't no thing" and came back for a TD drive. The "Dalton Way" is letting it snowball, being a try-hard and throwing them another pick.
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:00 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: I never said he played stunning or mistake-free football. He did not have the deer in the headlights look that Dalton has any time things go wrong. There were many things that went wrong, but the entire time he looked like he commanded the huddle and believed he'd come back on the next drive and right the ship (which he did on the TD drive). When things start going horribly wrong, Dalton has that familiar look like he just soiled himself a little and you can't say it doesn't rub off on the whole team when "Bad Andy" shows up. Can it really be argued McCarron looked like a more confident, convincing leader?

Dalton has multiple come from behind victories in his NFL career.  

And I saw nothing that made McCarron look anymore like a leader than Dalton.  I'd like to know what exactly he did that made you think he "looked more like a leader".  Was it the fact that he completed some passes in the fourth quarter of a preseason game that was already over?  Really?  If not then what was it?

All of your claims about "how they look" makes no sense.  It reminds me of the threads where people claim that every time Green looks upset on the sidelines it means he hates Dalton and wants out of Cincinnati.  It is nothing more than people projecting their own thoughts into the heads of other people. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:58 PM)Interceptor Wrote: What's Dalton's excuse?

Uhm maybe playing against a 1st team D that ran blitzes and stunts in a preseason game that sacked him 3x and hurried him on a constant.

A running game that was ineffective and when it did something right fumbled the ball.

Or you know when your star receiver doinks a ball that violently almost makes him catch it.

And Andy making a bad throw trying to manufacture something that was not there.........

There is quite a lot of blame to go around including Dalton.
On to the next pointless game.

\
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:00 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: It was disrespectful to do that on live tv.

I guess......  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton has multiple come from behind victories in his NFL career.  

And I saw nothing that made McCarron look anymore like a leader than Dalton.  I'd like to know what exactly he did that made you think he "looked more like a leader".  Was it the fact that he completed some passes in the fourth quarter of a preseason game that was already over?  Really?  If not then what was it?

All of your claims about "how they look" makes no sense.  It reminds me of the threads where people claim that every time Green looks upset on the sidelines it means he hates Dalton and wants out of Cincinnati.  It is nothing more than people projecting their own thoughts into the heads of other people. 

It reminds me of when O'Reilly has his body language "experts" on his show.  It's ridiculous speculation and nothing more.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:09 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Uhm maybe playing against a 1st team D that ran blitzes and stunts in a preseason game that sacked him 3x and hurried him on a constant.

A running game that was ineffective and when it did something right fumbled the ball.

Or you know when your star receiver doinks a ball that violently almost makes him catch it.

And Andy making a bad throw trying to manufacture something that was not there.........

There is quite a lot of blame to go around including Dalton.
On to the next pointless game.

\

Looked like the 1st team was playing their usual regular season prime time game.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote