Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leading Rusher on SB Winning Teams

This year will mark the 9th year in a row that the leading rusher on a SB winning team makes 2% or less of the team's cap.

Joe Mixon counts toward 5.61% of the cap next year.

I knew that most Super Bowl winning teams were more pass-heavy, but I didn't realize it was this severe.

Does this sway anyone one way or the other with keeping Mixon?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Does this sway anyone one way or the other with keeping Mixon?

Not really, as far as me personally, I thought that his deal was too rich to begin with for what he actually brings.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really, as far as me personally, I thought that his deal was too rich to begin with for what he actually brings.

I've also been in that camp since before he signed his extension, but I know some want to keep him.
But this 9-year trend might help open some peoples' eyes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Good to see the proof.... but I've always thought you could get similar production from a RB on a rookie contract. They are no longer of value as they were in the past. So many good players that are running backs these days in every draft.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, as much as the team is doing things totally different these days, I have a feeling they will be overly loyal to Mixon and let him finish out his current contract. He’s well liked by both the FO and in the locker room, and they probably let his intangibles overvalue him as a player.

Personally, I’m ready to move on. You don’t pay a RB $12 million a season if you can’t trust him on 4th & 1 with a Super Bowl on the line. He also tips our hand and make our offense predictable.

Reply/Quote
I've been ready to move on from Mixon. We have to many needs to pay a guy that's only a so-so runner and stinks at pass pro that kind of money. Cut him and sign Perine and Williams and draft a mid round rookie.
Reply/Quote
It's the perfect time to move on from Mixon imo, the question is will the Bengals feel the same.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really, as far as me personally, I thought that his deal was too rich to begin with for what he actually brings.

To paraphrase Lou Brown:  Mixon isn't high-priced talent, he's just high-priced.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote:
This year will mark the 9th year in a row that the leading rusher on a SB winning team makes 2% or less of the team's cap.

I knew that most Super Bowl winning teams were more pass-heavy, but I didn't realize it was this severe.

I really don't think you need to sway the vast majority around here by posting negative stats. Folks have been ready to move on for some time now. 

WTS, JB might see the writing on the wall and restructure. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It just confirms what we all know. Mixon has to go,
Unfortunately. Will Perine sign for $1.5? I think he’s more than capable and I don’t want to waste a draft pick on a RB
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I really don't think you need to sway the vast majority around here by posting negative stats. Folks have been ready to move on for some time now. 

WTS, JB might see the writing on the wall and restructure

That's what i think. Add 3 more years low salary, convert some to bonus and not have to worry about replacing another position for a couple more years.
Reply/Quote
Did you guys forget..... Mike will honor the contract all the way out. Unless they change their philosophy/practices.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 01:42 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That's what i think. Add 3 more years low salary, convert some to bonus and not have to worry about replacing another position for a couple more years.

So then you are just committing even more years to a guy who gets bottom tier results as a rusher while also being unable pass block to save his life despite having 6 NFL seasons to learn?

Would rather have to worry about replacing a position than commit to subpar play at that position for years to come.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 08:47 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Did you guys forget..... Mike will honor the contract all the way out.  Unless they change their philosophy/practices.

That hasn't been true for years, because it is Katie and Troy. They have cut a ton of people under contract over the last 4 years.

EDIT:
Vontaze Burfict
Preston Brown
Cordy Glenn
Andy Dalton
BW Webb
Dre Kirkpatrick
John Miller
Geno Atkins
Giovani Bernard
Bobby Hart
Trey Hopkins
Trae Waynes

All released by the Bengals while under contract since 2019.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote:

Mixon at his current Contract no...  I like his running hate his blitz pickup
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Mixon at his current Contract no...  I like his running hate his blitz pickup

I might be ok if they tried to work something out where they took the remaining years and added another 2-3 years to spread it out.
Mixon gets $25+ mill over the next 2 seasons if he plays through his contract.
He'll be 28 when his contract ends currently. He'll only have another 2-3 years left probably anyway after that point.

With that said, I am one of those that thinks you can find a 1000+ yard rusher relatively easily in the draft.
Even if you don't get a 1000+ yard rusher, you can get someone who can put up ~800 yards on the ground and 200+ in the air.
The era of the bell cow RB is kinda fading away anyway, as it's continues to shift further and further toward a passing league.
Get a RBBC with some solid RBs that are a mix of cheaper veterans and draft picks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Samaje Perine out snapped Joe Mixon in the playoffs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Let's draft Bijan Robinson and watch him contribute to our Super Bowl win next season from the RB position. Maybe he can rush for about 155 yards and 3 TDs in the Super Bowl but still lose the game MVP to Burrow after he tosses 1 TD, 1 INT, and 180 yards - you know, it's a QB-driven league. Hilarious

Interesting post though. It's a passing league for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:41 AM)Synric Wrote: Samaje Perine out snapped Joe Mixon in the playoffs.

thats because Mixon was so ineffective outside of the buffalo game 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 03:07 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: thats because Mixon was so ineffective outside of the buffalo game 

And Mixon can't pass block
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote