Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning from New England
Cincy Jungle has a link to stripe hype article explaining what Bengals could learn from the game plan used by the Pats against the Steelers.

It is an excellent article.

The main point - you need to do short passes on first and second down to stay out of third and long against the Steelers zone defense and blitz packages.

How many of us on this board have been saying this for years.

Why does Marvin always run on first and often times second down, gain little if any yards with our awful run blocking against 3-4 defenses, and put Dalton in a third and long against the Steelers.

They also criticize the Bengals for getting a lead and then playing itsafe.

Again- how many people on this board and the old board have banged their heads for years making this same criticism of Marvin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 05:29 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Cincy Jungle has a link to stripe hype article explaining what Bengals could learn from the game plan used by the Pats against the Steelers.

The main point - you need to do short passes on first and second down to stay out of third and long against the Steelers zone defense and blitz packages.

Why does Marvin always run on first and often times second down, gain little if any yards with our awful run blocking against 3-4 defenses, and put Dalton in a third and long against the Steelers.

Again- how many people on this board and the old board have banged their heads for years making this same criticism of Marvin.

So, in other words, they are preaching to the choir.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 05:29 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Cincy Jungle has a link to stripe hype article explaining what Bengals could learn from the game plan used by the Pats against the Steelers.

"Life gets tedious, don't it?"
Reply/Quote
This is on the topic of "Learning from New England". Did anyone see Chad Johnson on FOX the other day? They asked him about the culture in New England, and if anything surprised him when he first got there.

He said that his first day there they broke down film from the playoff loss that had ended their 2010 season, and that Belichick went off on Brady pointing out the things that he had done wrong. He said that put him on notice that no one in the organization was above being held accountable. That it let him know they "expect great things from everyone". Said it was unlike any meeting he had been in prior. Think that would happen with Marvin?
Reply/Quote

Bengals don't need to learn any of that. That's all journalistic jargon.

Model model for life.

(01-30-2017, 06:54 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This is on the topic of "Learning from New England".  Did anyone see Chad Johnson on FOX the other day?  They asked him about the culture in New England, and if anything surprised him when he first got there.

He said that his first day there they broke down film from the playoff loss that had ended their 2010 season, and that Belichick went off on Brady pointing out the things that he had done wrong.  He said that put him on notice that no one in the organization was above being held accountable.  That it let him know they "expect great things from everyone".  Said it was unlike any meeting he had been in prior.  Think that would happen with Marvin?

What if BB and Brady staged it all because they wanted to make a point to Chad Johnson on his first day, since he was Ochocinco then?

[Image: Keanu-Woah.jpg]

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
You beat me to it. I was thinking it was staged as well.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
We would never yell at our golden child Andy dalton, that would really hurt his feelings. Even Rey maualugacomes back next year, he's a seasoned vet. And plus with his severe alcohol problem, he has to have some sports activity in his life, doctors orders. Domato peko is expecting his 5the grandchild next year, and he needs the extra cash. And I also heard nugent will be brought back for the competition, since he can't find any work.
Reply/Quote
I heard probably 800 times that the Pats are successful against the Steelers because they go 3 or 4 wide and spread out those LBs, getting them caught up in mismatches with WRs. We have a QB that came out of a spread offense at TCU and loves when we spread teams out. Seems like a perfect match, but we're stuck with Conserva-Marv.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 09:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals don't need to learn any of that. That's all journalistic jargon.

Model model for life.

What if BB and Brady staged it all because they wanted to make a point to Chad Johnson on his first day, since he was Ochocinco then?

[Image: Keanu-Woah.jpg]

Ninja

They may have, but he said it was done in front of the entire team.  I'm not sure Chad was that high on their radar that they would have gone to that much trouble for him specifically.  I would think it's more likely it was staged so that everyone new to the team got the same message.
Reply/Quote
They have Tom Brady, that is the key to their success. He can shred you in any game plan and against a zone defense it is easy for him because he has a group of WRs who's whole thing is to sit down in zones.
Reply/Quote
You guys kinda stole my thunder, but I've watched us play games that we took off like gangbusters and scored just like we were not playing anybody! We were practically unstoppable ! Then after we had what seemed like an  unsurmountable lead, it's like well we don't need anymore points and then that unsurmountable lead suddenly disappears and we don't score anymore points and lose !!!!!  Shocked
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2017, 09:11 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: You guys kinda stole my thunder, but I've watched us play games that we took off like gangbusters and scored just like we were not playing anybody! We were practically unstoppable ! Then after we had what seemed like an  unsurmountable lead, it's like well we don't need anymore points and then that unsurmountable lead suddenly disappears and we don't score anymore points and lose !!!!!  Shocked

This is like half the games we ever played against the Steelers.  And we all know there's no such thing as halftime adjustments.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 03:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: They have Tom Brady, that is the key to their success. He can shred you in any game plan and against a zone defense it is easy for him because he has a group of WRs who's whole thing is to sit down in zones.

He's such a great decision maker. Even when he has a bad game, he still keeps plugging along and they usually win. Being extremely solid in the kicking game is another key to NE's success.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 06:39 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: We would never yell at our golden child Andy dalton, that would really hurt his feelings. Even Rey maualugacomes back next year, he's a seasoned vet. And plus with his severe alcohol problem, he has to have some sports activity in his life, doctors orders.  Domato peko is expecting his 5the grandchild next year, and he needs the extra cash.  And I also heard nugent will be brought back for the competition, since he can't find any work.

[Image: whaaaaaaat_family_guy.gif]

Those four key notes sum up many lives...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm convinced the Bengals don't change their gameplan game by game. They certainly don't change it during the game. This is what a superbowl team can do, like NE. Change their identity by the minute, and succeed.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I would love to know our yards per carry against Pittsburgh on 1st down. I'd bet a good deal it's under 3, yet we continue to go out there and get behind the chains against them. Marvin is stuck in like 1980. It's one of the bigger reasons his record is crap against them, plays right into their hands.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 09:39 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'm convinced the Bengals don't change their gameplan game by game. They certainly don't change it during the game. This is what a superbowl team can do, like NE. Change their identity by the minute, and succeed.

I remember watching a special on Peyton's Broncos, and Welker talked about how they made little tweaks every single week. I can't remember specifics, but he mentioned that the same formation/play would have different hot reads and tweaked routes.

It made it extremely difficult to get a bead on their offense. Ever since then, I've always had it in my head that we probably don't do anything like that. At least 3 times in the last couple years, I've seen where the Browns or Colts etc said that they "knew" what our offense was doing. 

Of course, Dalton predictably struggled in these games and fans just blame him, which I think is short sighted. If the offense is predictable, everyone will struggle.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 10:31 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I would love to know our yards per carry against Pittsburgh on 1st down. I'd bet a good deal it's under 3, yet we continue to go out there and get behind the chains against them. Marvin is stuck in like 1980. It's one of the bigger reasons his record is crap against them, plays right into their hands.

You are so on point.

And then after we get 1 yard or no yards on first down we run on second down and get stopped. Andy ( and Carson before him)  is then put in 3 and 7 or 8 and higher playing directly into the Steelers zone defense and blitz package.

When you play the Steelers you should use the passing plays to set up the running plays like New England.

We have done the exact opposite all the time Marvin has been the coach or we sit on the lead and our offense does nothing in second half.

I cannot believe the lack of creativity of Marvin's game plans or that the Brown family has not understood that why the Steelers have our number year after year.

Anyone who does not understand why this drove Carson crazy and why he wanted out is not paying attention.
Reply/Quote

Learning requires that one realize that he doesn't know it all already. Sadly I don't think Mikey has a clue. Marv isn't much better, if at all.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 05:29 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Why does Marvin always run on first and often times second down, gain little if any yards with our awful run blocking against 3-4 defenses, and put Dalton in a third and long against the Steelers.

He doesn't.

in '16 Marvin called a pass on 35 of 58 first downs against the Steelers.  That was over 60% of the time.

Same pattern as over the last 5 years where a pass was called on 167 of 281 (59.4%), and the number may actually be higher if some of Dalton's runs on first down were actually scrambles from when a pass was called.
Reply/Quote