Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leftist claims: practicing yoga contributes to white supremacy
https://nypost.com/2018/01/29/people-who-practice-yoga-contribute-to-white-supremacy-professor-claims/

Hilarious. Didn’t know there was a “yoga industrial complex”

Quote:People who practice yoga contribute to white supremacy, professor claims

By Fox News
People who practice yoga contribute to white supremacy, professor claims
White people who do a downward-facing dog are contributing to a “system of power, privilege, and oppression,” according to a Michigan State University professor.

Shreena Gandhi, a religious studies professor at Michigan State, claims in an article she recently co-authored that Americans who practice yoga are contributing to white supremacy and promote the “yoga industrial complex.”

White Americans should learn yoga’s history, acknowledge the cultural appropriation they engage in and possibly reduce the cost of yoga classes for poor people, a group that often includes people of color and “recent immigrants, such as Indian women to whom this practice rightfully belongs,” Gandhi argued.

She co-authored the piece titled “Yoga and the Roots of Cultural Appropriation,” with Lillie Wolff, a self-described “anti-racist white Jewish organizer, facilitator, and healer,” who has called for “decolonizing” yoga, the College Fix reported.

The two argued “the explosion of yoga studios, yoga video, apps, yoga pants, and other yoga swag over the last two decades is evidence” of the “(mis)appropriation of yoga” that “is part of systemic racism” built on “the labor of black people and people of the global south.”

“We would argue one of the goals of white supremacy is to buffer white people from the pain that comes from the process of exchanging cultural grounding for the unearned power and privilege of whiteness,” they wrote. “…this modern-day trend of cultural appropriation of yoga is a continuation of white supremacy and colonialism, maintaining the pattern of white people consuming the stuff of culture that is convenient and portable, while ignoring the well-being and liberation of Indian people.”

Gandhi and the Religious Studies Department at MSU did not respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Gandhi said few white people “make the connection between their attraction to yoga and the cultural loss their ancestors and relatives experienced when they bought into white dominant culture in order to access resources,” Gandhi wrote.

But white people who twist their bodies in different yoga positions can do something about it, according to Gandhi.

“Given a deeper analysis of yoga, white yoga practitioners and teachers can engage in yoga in a decolonizing way that reduces harm and seeks greater cultural accountability,” she wrote.

“Especially during this time when the underbelly of capitalism — white supremacy, cisheteropatriarchy, and xenophobia – is being exposed, it is imperative that everyone, especially those who have access to spiritual practices like yoga, ask difficult questions of ourselves and one another,” the two concluded. “We must ask, in what ways are we complicit in a system that harms people of color, ***** and trans people, poor people, people with disabilities, and immigrants?”
Crap I haven't published anything in a while. I'll make up something crazy enough that others won't even question it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If the left is against yoga does that mean a bunch of right-wingers are going to stuff themselves into some lululemon and start downward dogging in order to offend them?
(01-30-2018, 01:09 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Crap I haven't published anything in a while. I'll make up something crazy enough that others won't even question it.

Haha exactly what I thought when I saw this lol
Wasn't this already gone over last year?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-30-2018, 01:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wasn't this already gone over last year?

Perhaps.  I think the main non-political thing to take from this is that yoga is another one of those things that white people have turned into another overdone and overly-commercial commodity.  Yoga is something you can do for free while wearing rags, but we've managed to find a way to get people to pay to do it and also to wear an outfit that can cost damn near $200.

So the fact that we've taken something with humble eastern roots and made it into a high-priced trend could be tangentially twisted into some sort of "white power" statement if you really wanted to finagle. 
(01-30-2018, 01:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Perhaps.  I think the main non-political thing to take from this is that yoga is another one of those things that white people have turned into another overdone and overly-commercial commodity.  Yoga is something you can do for free while wearing rags, but we've managed to find a way to get people to pay to do it and also to wear an outfit that can cost damn near $200.

So the fact that we've taken something with humble eastern roots and made it into a high-priced trend could be tangentially twisted into some sort of "white power" statement if you really wanted to finagle. 

It happens!
(01-30-2018, 01:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wasn't this already gone over last year?

1. Part time professor needs to sell books
2. Makes outrageous claim in an article
3. Conservative tabloids pick up selected quotes and make claim
4. Claim gets promoted as legitimate position of liberals
5. Part time professor gets press and can sell books

It's a great business model 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-30-2018, 01:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 1. Part time professor needs to sell books

Isn't that the Michael Savage program?   Smirk
(01-30-2018, 01:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 1. Part time professor needs to sell books

No normal person is buying this book. Maybe leftists who want to virtue signal.

So I guess your right leftists are gullible and can’t help themselves when it comes to virtue signaling.
(01-30-2018, 02:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No normal person  is buying this book.   Maybe leftists who want to virtue signal.

So I guess your right leftists are gullible and can’t help themselves when it comes to virtue signaling.

What does it say about the person who posted a thread about this?

(01-30-2018, 02:35 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What does it say about the person who posted a thread about this?

That I enjoy a laugh. As do others on this board. You are the lone person trying to explain this crazy stuff. Which you shouldn’t be trying...... you should just respond the exact same way MichaelSean or Nately have responded. They get it.

Have a laugh at the expense of this leftist. You defending it is just allowing us all to have a laugh at your expense as well. Be better than that...
(01-30-2018, 02:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That I enjoy a laugh.   As do others on this board.   You are the lone person trying to explain this crazy stuff.    Which you shouldn’t be trying...... you should just respond the exact same way MichaelSean or Nately have responded.   They get it.  

Have a laugh at the expense of this leftist.   You defending it is just allowing us all to have a laugh at your expense as well.  Be better than that...

I had a laugh at the ramblings of a part time professor, people taking it way too seriously, and the fact that this hype only helps them. I don't know how I defended it, but I'm sure you won't tell me if I ask. 

(01-30-2018, 01:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If the left is against yoga does that mean a bunch of right-wingers are going to stuff themselves into some lululemon and start downward dogging in order to offend them?

Overpriced junk.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-30-2018, 03:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I had a laugh at the ramblings of a part time professor, people taking it way too seriously, and the fact that this hype only helps them. I don't know how I defended it, but I'm sure you won't tell me if I ask. 

The fact you attempted to explain it was enough. Thanks we had a good laugh.
(01-30-2018, 03:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Overpriced junk.

But it makes me feel soooooo good.
(01-30-2018, 03:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The fact you attempted to explain it was enough.  Thanks we had a good laugh.

You mean my joke? I guess I need to have more knock knock jokes so they don't go over anyone's head. 

(01-30-2018, 01:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Perhaps.  I think the main non-political thing to take from this is that yoga is another one of those things that white people have turned into another overdone and overly-commercial commodity.  Yoga is something you can do for free while wearing rags, but we've managed to find a way to get people to pay to do it and also to wear an outfit that can cost damn near $200.

Oh, that is some scary stuff there.  After the most recent flare up of my sometimes debilitating back injury (herniated discs), both my Dr. and Physical Therapist suggested that I add Yoga into my training regiment, as a way to enhance my recovery from injury.

Now, I won't be able to attend, as I'll feel like I'm that giant Nazi in the room...   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-30-2018, 03:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You mean my joke? I guess I need to have more knock knock jokes so they don't go over anyone's head. 

Mhm..... I’m gonna let you have your out here so you don’t have to have to come up with any more excuses.
(01-31-2018, 12:24 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Mhm..... I’m gonna let you have your out here so you don’t have to have to come up with any more excuses.

Nice out