Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal fees consumed 40% of Trump campaign spending at year's end
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/31/president-trump-raises-big-sums-2020-racks-up-legal-bills/1083984001/

Quote:WASHINGTON — President Trump's campaign raised another $6.9 million during the final months of last year, helping him amass more $43 million during his first year in office.

Trump, who took the unusual step of filing for reelection on his first day in office, finished the year with $22.1 million banked for his 2020 campaign, filings Wednesday with the Federal Election Commission show.

Lara Trump, the president's daughter-in-law and a top adviser to his campaign committee, said Trump's cash-on-hand figure was an "unprecedented feat" for a first-term president.

"Our latest FEC report is just one reflection of a fundamental reality: Grassroots support for President Trump is stronger than ever,” she said in a statement.

But the filing also shows the president's campaign spent nearly $2.8 million during the final three months of 2017, and 40% of that money — or $1.13 million — paid legal bills. The lion's share went to Jones Day, which represents Trump on election-related matters and served as White House Counsel Don McGahn's employer before he joined the government.

A little more than $214,000, however, went to McDermott, Will & Emery, the firm of Washington-based lawyer Stephen Ryan, who is helping Trump's personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, navigate the federal investigation into Russian influence in the 2016 election.

Cohen did not immediately responded to a USA TODAY inquiry about the payment. 

Last year, the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee used hundreds of thousands of dollars in donors' money to cover Russia-related fees for Trump and his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. The president's lawyers announced last November that he would begin paying his own legal fees.

Special counsel Robert Mueller is investigating possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russian meddling in the presidential election. Trump has repeatedly denied any collusion with the Russian government.

Wednesday's filing underscores the aggressive fundraising strategy of Trump's campaign and the Republican National Committee. In 2009, during his first year in office, President Obama had total receipts of just $10.6 million and did not headline his first fundraising event until his third year of his presidency.

In his first year, Trump has delivered fiery speeches to campaign rallies around the country. During Tuesday night's State of the Union address, he raised campaign money by scrolling donors' names during a live stream of his speech to Congress. (On Wednesday, Trump's unorthodox move drew a formal ethics complaint to Congress from the liberal watchdog group Public Citizen, which argued that broadcast of official floor proceedings in the U.S. House cannot be used for political purposes.)

For its part, the Republican National Committee raised $11 million in December, bringing its total for 2017 to $132.5 million, a record off-year election haul.The RNC ended the year with $38.8 million in available cash.

"Our strong fundraising numbers reflect voters’ optimism and continued support as President Trump fulfills his promises to the American people," RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said in a statement.

The Democratic National Committee, meanwhile, seems near the edge of insolvency. It raised $65.9 million in 2017, half what the RNC took in last year. While the committee reported $6.5 million in available cash, its unpaid bills exceeded $6 million.

He never quit running for office so he can line his own coffers.

It is amazing how many rubes are falling for this.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
GMDino Wrote:He never quit running for office so he can line his own coffers.

Meet the new guy. Same as the old guy.

But, really? $213k in legal fees related to an investigation into his CAMPAIGN? Don't think I've ever seen a single thread from you on the TENS OF MILLIONS of suspect donations to the Clinton foundations. Or how about the MILLIONS in dollars in legal fees the Clinton campaign was paying for the fake Russia Dossier alone?

Of course, if he wants to "line his coffers" he's not raising money for a re-election campaign that he can't touch personally when it's far more profitable to walk away to a windfall (ala Clinton and Obama). Of course, you probably know this.,,,,or at least, should.
--------------------------------------------------------

(02-01-2018, 01:37 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Meet the new guy.  Same as the old guy.

But, really?  $213k in legal fees related to an investigation into his CAMPAIGN?   Don't think I've ever seen a single thread from you on the TENS OF MILLIONS of suspect donations to the Clinton foundations.  Or how about the MILLIONS in dollars in legal fees the Clinton campaign was paying for the fake Russia Dossier alone?

Of course, if he wants to "line his coffers" he's not raising money for a re-election campaign that he can't touch personally when it's far more profitable to walk away to a windfall (ala Clinton and Obama).  Of course, you probably know this.,,,,or at least, should.

Sorry to burst your image of the icon but Trump is one of a kind when it comes to campaigning after elected.  It's in the article.

And I am SURE there is verifiable sources for your claims.   I'll wait.
(02-01-2018, 01:37 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: But, really?  $213k in legal fees related to an investigation into his CAMPAIGN?   Don't think I've ever seen a single thread from you on the TENS OF MILLIONS of suspect donations to the Clinton foundations.  Or how about the MILLIONS in dollars in legal fees the Clinton campaign was paying for the fake Russia Dossier alone?

$168,000 was how much they actually paid for the dossier. In total they paid Fusion a total of $1 million for opposition research, $168,000 of which went to the third party firm that compiled the dossier. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-01-2018, 11:09 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: $168,000 was how much they actually paid for the dossier. In total they paid Fusion a total of $1 million for opposition research, $168,000 of which went to the third party firm that compiled the dossier. 

That's interesting.

But the point remains - there are a large percentage of legal fees associated with a campaign.  A lot of spending is funneled thru law firms for, I assume, discretion and legal protections.

Just not a story in anyone but Dabo's world.

(02-02-2018, 12:02 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: That's interesting.

But the point remains - there are a large percentage of legal fees associated with a campaign.  A lot of spending is funneled thru law firms for, I assume, discretion and legal protections.

Just not a story in anyone but Dabo's world.

Smirk

(02-01-2018, 09:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sorry to burst your image of the icon but Trump is one of a kind when it comes to campaigning after elected.  It's in the article.

ThumbsUp
(02-01-2018, 09:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sorry to burst your image of the icon but Trump is one of a kind when it comes to campaigning after elected.  It's in the article.

Sure, it's called READING.  I don't need to post - it's called google, and readily available to anyone who reads anything other than purely partisan dribble.

Obama was arguably the first perpetual campaigner, and I remember people on this forum defending it as "the new normal".  Obama was criticized plenty for never stopping campaigning, only slowing a little after his re-election.

In fact, Obama flew to Vegas for a fundraiser the day after the Benghazi attack.

But, here, I know you read WaPo.....but must be very selectively:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/07/16/president-obama-has-held-393-fundraisers-in-his-six-years-in-office/?utm_term=.6dcfb7d4d26c
393 fundraisers in just SIX years of office - 1 every 6 days.  The article you linked played a cute little game of semantics differentiating "re-election" from fundraising (which for the DNC or RNC often flows back significatnly to your campaign), and failing to discuss events vs. dollars.
In his first term, Obama attended more fundraising events than any other president in recent history. According to author Brendan J. Doherty, from 2008 to 2012 Obama went to 321 events, compared to just 80 for Ronald Reagan.  And, as the chart below shows, he’s done 72 events in his second term – 34 this year alone. So far, he’s ahead of  the pace of George W. Bush, who had been to 30 events at this point in 2006. In his two presidential terms combined, Bush hosted 318 fundraisers. Obama has already smashed that number with 393 events to date.

(02-02-2018, 12:07 AM)GMDino Wrote: Smirk

ThumbsUp

[Image: what-youve-just-said-is-one-of-the-most-...798259.png]

(02-02-2018, 12:16 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: [Image: what-youve-just-said-is-one-of-the-most-...798259.png]

Careful...you'll get kicked out of the club for using memes and not answering questions.   Cool
(02-02-2018, 12:15 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Sure, it's called READING.  I don't need to post - it's called google, and readily available to anyone who reads anything other than purely partisan dribble.

Obama was arguably the first perpetual campaigner, and I remember people on this forum defending it as "the new normal".  Obama was criticized plenty for never stopping campaigning, only slowing a little after his re-election.

In fact, Obama flew to Vegas for a fundraiser the day after the Benghazi attack.

But, here, I know you read WaPo.....but must be very selectively:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/07/16/president-obama-has-held-393-fundraisers-in-his-six-years-in-office/?utm_term=.6dcfb7d4d26c
393 fundraisers in just SIX years of office - 1 every 6 days.  The article you linked played a cute little game of semantics differentiating "re-election" from fundraising (which for the DNC or RNC often flows back significatnly to your campaign), and failing to discuss events vs. dollars.
In his first term, Obama attended more fundraising events than any other president in recent history. According to author Brendan J. Doherty, from 2008 to 2012 Obama went to 321 events, compared to just 80 for Ronald Reagan.  And, as the chart below shows, he’s done 72 events in his second term – 34 this year alone. So far, he’s ahead of  the pace of George W. Bush, who had been to 30 events at this point in 2006. In his two presidential terms combined, Bush hosted 318 fundraisers. Obama has already smashed that number with 393 events to date.

Apparently he included events from 2008 when Obama was running for his first term.  Very misleading.

So my article was right that Trump stands alone in running for re-election.

Good.

Quote:Wednesday's filing underscores the aggressive fundraising strategy of Trump's campaign and the Republican National Committee. In 2009, during his first year in office, President Obama had total receipts of just $10.6 million and did not headline his first fundraising event until his third year of his presidency.

In his first year, Trump has delivered fiery speeches to campaign rallies around the country. During Tuesday night's State of the Union address, he raised campaign money by scrolling donors' names during a live stream of his speech to Congress. (On Wednesday, Trump's unorthodox move drew a formal ethics complaint to Congress from the liberal watchdog group Public Citizen, which argued that broadcast of official floor proceedings in the U.S. House cannot be used for political purposes.)

But I know Trump's your boy so you won't see anything wrong with him.

Just like you couldn't admit you were wrong about the amount spent by the Clinton campaign on the Steele Dossier. I'm used to folks not being able to say the "w" word about themselves.  It's cool.

Have a good night!
(02-02-2018, 12:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: Apparently he included events from 2008 when Obama was running for his first term.  Very misleading.

You honestly should be banned for this stupidity. You should be banned for a lot of things....but this board leans far libtard.

(02-02-2018, 03:00 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: You honestly should be banned for this stupidity.  You should be banned for a lot of things....but this board leans far libtard.

"libtard" Now I have to take what you post seriously?  Cool

OK.

Obama's first year in office:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-first-year-by-the-numbers/

Quote:POLITICAL FUNDRAISERS: 28 

• The events raised at least $27.25 million. (3 of the events Mr. Obama attended declined to disclose how much was raised.
• George W. Bush did 6 fundraisers his 1st year raising over $48 million.

I'm sure the pace picked up as he got closer to re-election.  I am also sure he was elected using private money and not federal funds (unlike say Reagan who didn't have to fund-raise).  And I'm sure no other POTUS filed for re-election the day after been sworn in and attend campaign rallies within the first few months.

Trump is a conman.  And he's conning y'all to line his own coffers while crying that people are looking at what he does...something he didn't have happen in "the business world".
So keep defending your boy, and please do keep up with the insults as it does let me know how much effort I should put into this.  Smirk