Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal tampering period begins Monday the 11th
(03-08-2024, 03:50 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Here is an updated list of the top 101 FAs post Henry signing with NE. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2024-who-are-the-best-players-available

I.  Our Guys 

45.  Reader, DT. Higher if not for injury. 
47.  J. Williams, OT 
50.  Awuzie, CB 
83.  Boyd, WR 

II.  Defensive Tackles (9)

1.  Jones, KC 
3.  Wilkins, Mia 
10. L. Williams, Sea 
33. Cox, Philly 
42. Stewart, Indy 
45. Reader, Cin 
51. Autry, TN 
90. Tart, Hou 
100. Rankins, Hou

III.  Safeties (11)

11.  Gardner-Johnson, Det 
14.  McKinney, NYG 
31.  Curl, Wash 
37.  Blackmon, Indy 
39.  Simmons, Den 
64.  Fuller, Rams 
65.  Chinn, Car
69.  Stone, Balt
80.  Whitehead, Jets 
86.  Gilman, Chargers 
89.  Hyde, Buffalo

Adams & Poyer & Gipson & Byard & Jackson & Diggs & Jenkins do not make the list. All former Pro-Bowlers save for Gipson & Jenkins, I think. 

IV.  Tight Ends (1)

71.  Fant, Sea

V.  OT  (8)

5.  Smith, Dallas 
9.  Onwenu, OG/OT, NE 
44.  Brown, NE 
47.  J. Williams, Cincy
48.  Eluemunor, LV 
67.  Nijman, GB 
85.  J. Jones, Hou 
99.  Smith, KC 

20 of the top 101 guys are DTs and S's. I just think the law of supply & demand dictate those would be good places to shop. And they match some of our biggest needs. 

TE is a need, but Fant is the only one left. Likely means his contract gets jacked up. Draft + bringing back Sample & Hudson seems a better value. Or Hurst. 

OT is not quite as barren in FA. But if you want better than Jonah, it is pretty much Smith at age 33 and Onwenu. Brown better when he plays, but has been over 600 snaps once in last 5 seasons. Fiscally, it might be better to give up the ghost on the Bowers dream at #18 (extremely unlikely) and just pick an OT. 

Everett Chargers is not a few lists in top 100, my guess if Bengals are looking at FA Tight end, Fant and Everett the two they are looking at
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 12:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Everett Chargers is not a few lists in top 100, my guess if Bengals are looking at FA Tight end, Fant and Everett the two they are looking at

Everett is a good thought.

Everett will be significantly cheaper. As will Hurst. Aside from not really liking Fant much as a player, I do not think we spend much, if anything on a FA TE, beyond bringing back Sample, Hudson, and maybe even Wilcox.

I know we don't have a TE signed, but I don't think soending $5+ mil on a FA is good value. 
Reply/Quote
Jones back to KC. Cox retired. DTs down to 7.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 10:19 AM)samhain Wrote: I agree.  However, if I could have one safety out there now, it would be him.  I personally think he goes to Philly to play in Fangio's defense again.

I agree and Stone will follow McDonald to Seattle.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 12:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hurst is risky due to the concussions, but he is apparently cleared. And likely pretty cheap. 

He should just retire, another big hit and he might be eating soup for the rest of his life.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 03:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: He should just retire, another big hit and he might be eating soup for the rest of his life.

HE wants to play. So...
Reply/Quote
I'm worried of big signings which IMO will prevent development of young players, especially on offense where we don't rotate players except at TE.

That being said I expect very little this week because except at safety and RT I think the Bengals would prefer to resign our own after they test free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 04:55 PM)puddycat Wrote: I'm worried of big signings which IMO will prevent development of young players, especially on offense where we don't rotate players except at TE.

That being said I expect very little this week because except at safety and RT I think the Bengals would prefer to resign our own after they test free agency.

I'm perfectly content with free agent signings that contribute to a Super Bowl run at the expense of younger players getting reps.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 05:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am very excited for FA, this is a different time than the way it used to be under Marv and Mikey Boy. We are willing to pay a lot to make us 
better, maybe not as much as some want but we have done a good job for the most part the last 3 or 4 years in FA. We have some misses here
and there but it hasn't been bad at all considering how other teams handle FA.

My wish is also to sign Justin Simmons and we can do this over the weekend since he was cut. I also would like to bring in Mitchell Morse the 
Center the Bills just cut over the weekend. Then once FA starts concentrate on getting a DT like Christian Wilkins, Leonard Williams or Rankins
and a RT in Onwenu, Eluemunor or Trent Brown.

Cap casualty? I know the Bills were in purgatory.
Reply/Quote
I am both excited and concerned about noon on Monday. We need to sign at least one DT, two TEs and one OT in free agency if we want any kind of flexibility in the draft. The DT market has ramped up leading into Monday and I'm concerned we're going to be outbid for Reader because we won't be willing to give him a 3 year deal and/or enough guaranteed money. And the OT market is pretty bad. I hope we get Eluemunor, but with so few viable starters on the market I could see him going for more than expected as well.

I hope we don't mess this FA period up.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2024, 08:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Cap casualty? I know the Bills were in purgatory.

Yes, that is exactly was Morse was along with Poyer and White.

I would be more than fine bringing in any one of these players from the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:24 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, that is exactly was Morse was along with Poyer and White.

I would be more than fine bringing in any one of these players from the Bills.

Morse pff was 64 and 61 the last 2 years not sure that helps us all that much IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:27 AM)pulses Wrote: Morse pff was 64 and 61 the last 2 years not sure that helps us all that much IMO.

I thought he was All-Pro in 2022?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:28 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I thought he was All-Pro in 2022?

If he was the OC's were horrible that year lol
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:29 AM)pulses Wrote: If he was the OC's were horrible that year lol

Anybody sniffin' All Pro should be on our OL radar.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Russell Wilson to the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Russell Wilson to the Steelers.

Damn, hope he continues his down trend for sure now. Have to hate Russell, bastid. Whatever
Reply/Quote
I'm definitely excited and worried. The legal tampering period has changed how free agency operates. Prior to the tampering period, the Bengals would basically sit out week 1 and wait for wave 2 or wave 3 to start bringing players in. Nowadays, wave 3 basically starts a couple of days after the league officially begins since deals the majority of players are agreeing to deals so early.

I have no clue what their strategy will be, but they definitely need to attack the DT position.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:31 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Anybody sniffin' All Pro should be on our OL radar.  Mellow

Not if it was 2 years ago and his pff was 64 and 61 that's no better than we have outside of Volson.
Reply/Quote