Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lengthy Mock - November 2021
*Note: This does not account for any compensatory picks, as John Ross may not play enough snaps to warrant one. If he does, it's projected the Bengals would get a 4th round comp pick.

2022 NFL FA and Draft:
Estimated cap - $60 mill

Release Trae Waynes + $11 mill = $71 mill

Re-sign:
Bates - $15 mill APY
Spain - $8 mill APY
Uzomah - $6 mill APY
Reiff (or sign Morgan Moses) - $10 mill APY
Ogunjobi or Hill - $7 mill APY
--------------------------------------------
$25 mill remaining

FA:
Jason Kelce - 2 years, $22 mill ($11 mill APY) - Kelce just signed a 1-year, $9 mill ($12 mill with incentives), so I think $22 mill over 2 years is worth it. Kelce plus one more early OL pick would solidify the OL. I think the Bengals could be very appealing to Kelce, as he grew up in Cleveland and played at UC. Plus, KC already has Creed Humphrey, so it doesn't make sense for him to go to KC to play with his brother.
------------------------------------
$14 mill remaining (plenty left to give ability to add some to above deals if needed)

Draft:
1) Jaxson Kirkland, OL Washington (6'5", 315 lb)
- Currently at LT in college, but he's projected a better fit at RT or OG in the NFL. His size and demeanor should make him well suited on the right side. If Carman pans out by 2021 season end, Kirkland can be used as the 6th OL while being groomed as the eventual RT. If Carman doesn't blossom by then, Kirkland can compete with Carman for starting RG reps.

2) Roger McCreary, CB Auburn (6'0", 190 lb) - Outside CB to replace Waynes. Size and experience to stick outside. Good tackler, can stick in coverage, not afraid to come downhill.

3) Charlie Kolar, TE Iowa St (6'6", 260 lb) - Good sized TE who has proven receiving production, plus he has the size and willingness to block. He'll be a better receiving TE2 than Sample.

4) Chris Rodriguez Jr, RB Kentucky (5'11", 224 lb) - Thick, powerful RB who gets YAC. He isn't the fastest, but he does have some quickness and bounce for his size.  He only has 327 rushing attempts at UK, so he shouldn't be run down when he gets to the NFL. From what I have seen, I like, but maybe someone who has watched a lot of UK games can give better insight. CRJ would allow the Bengals the ability to move on from Perine but also not interfere with what Evans excels at - catching the ball.

5) Khalil Shakir, WR Boise St (6'0", 190 lb) - Explosive WR who can replace Tate as the WR4 or Thomas as the WR5. He has enough size to play outside, but he can also play slot.

6) Neil Farrell Jr, DT LSU (6'4", 320 lb) - Another guy from the 2019 championship team. Offers potential as a pass rusher and is good against the run.

7) Depth
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Decent mock, but if you're letting Waynes go and not signing anyone, you're going to need more than 1 CB high in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 07:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Decent mock, but if you're letting Waynes go and not signing anyone, you're going to need more than 1 CB high in this draft.

There's cap room to sign some cheaper backups.
The high pick, Awuzie, and Hilton would be the starters.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's cap room to sign some cheaper backups.
The high pick, Awuzie, and Hilton would be the starters.

I would hope so, I was just going off of your plan.  I don't think relying on a rookie to start is a great idea.  Our depth also needs some serious help as we've seen teams torch our 4th and 5th guys when they get on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 12:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I would hope so, I was just going off of your plan.  I don't think relying on a rookie to start is a great idea.  Our depth also needs some serious help as we've seen teams torch our 4th and 5th guys when they get on the field. 

I get all that, but this team is a mid-tier team at best. They can't address every single starting position and every depth position yet.
Per what I wrote in OP, there would still be ~$14 mill in cap to work with for additional adds, more money given to guys if it took a bit more to sign them, etc.
Also, this does not factor in any comp picks nor any trade-down scenarios to get additional picks.

What I will say though is don't be afraid of an early-round CB starting. This is a VERY deep CB class, and I think any CB drafted in Rd 1 or Rd 2 should be able to start and be decent or better.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 04:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get all that, but this team is a mid-tier team at best. They can't address every single starting position and every depth position yet.
Per what I wrote in OP, there would still be ~$14 mill in cap to work with for additional adds, more money given to guys if it took a bit more to sign them, etc.
Also, this does not factor in any comp picks nor any trade-down scenarios to get additional picks.

What I will say though is don't be afraid of an early-round CB starting. This is a VERY deep CB class, and I think any CB drafted in Rd 1 or Rd 2 should be able to start and be decent or better.

I'm afraid of just about any rookie that is being relied on for a major role.  

I wouldn't call this team mid-tier in terms of personnel.  They have all the key players in place to allow the front office to fill in the roster.  This shouldn't be a multi year fix, they should be able to do it next year if they go about it the right way.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 04:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm afraid of just about any rookie that is being relied on for a major role.  

I wouldn't call this team mid-tier in terms of personnel.  They have all the key players in place to allow the front office to fill in the roster.  This shouldn't be a multi year fix, they should be able to do it next year if they go about it the right way.

It's not a multi-year fix. You can get all the starters in place easily.
No team has perfect depth.
The mock addresses the starters and most of the depth, and as mentioned there is $14 mill still to play with for additional vets for depth.
I just didn't care to specify cheap depth vet signings.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Young experience FA Corner on a budget...Panthers Donte Jackson.

Jaxson Kirkland has put up alot of nice tape in his career but damn he looked so very bad vs Aiden Hutchinson. It looked like a Pro vs a High Schooler.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Young experience FA Corner on a budget...Panthers Donte Jackson.

Jaxson Kirkland has put up alot of nice tape in his career but damn he looked so very bad vs Aiden Hutchinson. It looked like a Pro vs a High Schooler.

This is why I've seen Kirkland projected anywhere from late-1st to in the 2nd round.
There's a lot of good, but there are instances of getting beat by other big-name prospects.
Think back to like when Chase Young got stonewalled by Rashawn Slater.

The way I see it is if you're taking an OL or DL in the back half of the 1st round, they probably aren't flawless.
And with the addition of Kelce to solidify the C position, I envision a battle at RG and either Carman or Kirkland (or both?) developing behind Reiff (or another FA like Moses) as the future starting RT.
Kirkland would probably be, at worst, the first depth OT/OG off the bench.
Edit - Maybe what sold me on Kirkland was this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WXstRmUo

I can understand though that if people would rather go CB in Rd 1 and then get an OL in Rd 2 to compete for an OL spot.
I just thought CB was deep enough that I could wait until Rd 2 for one and wanted to go ahead and get an OL in Rd 1.

If Kirkland falls far enough in Rd 2, I'd love to get someone like Kaiir Elam (CB Florida) in Rd 1, then Kirkland in Rd 2.
Elam has near-perfect size and good speed, plus he can stick to receivers.
I'd also be cool with Sauce Gardner or a number of other CBs in Rd 1.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Young experience FA Corner on a budget...Panthers Donte Jackson.

If I remember correctly, he pitched a shut out against Thibidoux.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 11:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If I remember correctly, he pitched a shut out against Thibidoux.

Thibodeaux had 0 sacks against Oregon this year, correct.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 11:37 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Thibodeaux had 0 sacks against Oregon this year, correct.

They'd probably be pissed if he did
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 04:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: *Note: This does not account for any compensatory picks, as John Ross may not play enough snaps to warrant one. If he does, it's projected the Bengals would get a 4th round comp pick.

2022 NFL FA and Draft:
Estimated cap - $60 mill

Release Trae Waynes + $11 mill = $71 mill

Re-sign:
Bates - $15 mill APY
Spain - $8 mill APY
Uzomah - $6 mill APY
Reiff (or sign Morgan Moses) - $10 mill APY
Ogunjobi or Hill - $7 mill APY
--------------------------------------------
$25 mill remaining

FA:
Jason Kelce - 2 years, $22 mill ($11 mill APY) - Kelce just signed a 1-year, $9 mill ($12 mill with incentives), so I think $22 mill over 2 years is worth it. Kelce plus one more early OL pick would solidify the OL. I think the Bengals could be very appealing to Kelce, as he grew up in Cleveland and played at UC. Plus, KC already has Creed Humphrey, so it doesn't make sense for him to go to KC to play with his brother.
------------------------------------
$14 mill remaining (plenty left to give ability to add some to above deals if needed)

Draft:
1) Jaxson Kirkland, OL Washington (6'5", 315 lb)
- Currently at LT in college, but he's projected a better fit at RT or OG in the NFL. His size and demeanor should make him well suited on the right side. If Carman pans out by 2021 season end, Kirkland can be used as the 6th OL while being groomed as the eventual RT. If Carman doesn't blossom by then, Kirkland can compete with Carman for starting RG reps.

2) Roger McCreary, CB Auburn (6'0", 190 lb) - Outside CB to replace Waynes. Size and experience to stick outside. Good tackler, can stick in coverage, not afraid to come downhill.

3) Charlie Kolar, TE Iowa St (6'6", 260 lb) - Good sized TE who has proven receiving production, plus he has the size and willingness to block. He'll be a better receiving TE2 than Sample.

4) Chris Rodriguez Jr, RB Kentucky (5'11", 224 lb) - Thick, powerful RB who gets YAC. He isn't the fastest, but he does have some quickness and bounce for his size.  He only has 327 rushing attempts at UK, so he shouldn't be run down when he gets to the NFL. From what I have seen, I like, but maybe someone who has watched a lot of UK games can give better insight. CRJ would allow the Bengals the ability to move on from Perine but also not interfere with what Evans excels at - catching the ball.

5) Khalil Shakir, WR Boise St (6'0", 190 lb) - Explosive WR who can replace Tate as the WR4 or Thomas as the WR5. He has enough size to play outside, but he can also play slot.

6) Neil Farrell Jr, DT LSU (6'4", 320 lb) - Another guy from the 2019 championship team. Offers potential as a pass rusher and is good against the run.

7) Depth

My favorite Mock so far. Love all the picks, Shakir could be a major steal in the 5th. Dude is like you said explosive and great at 
going up for the ball. I just hope we bring back Ogunjobi and BJ Hill so our DT room stays deep while adding Farrell. Kolar is a 
nice pick in the 3rd. Really like McCreary and it goes without saying that I love the Kirkland pick.

The only pick I don't know about is Rodriguez as I don't think I watched him play or the game I DID watch he didn't play well.

BTW, love the thought of getting Jason Kelce in FA for the middle of our OL. Would absolutely love this.
Reply/Quote
As a UK fan we DO NOT WANT Chris Rodriguez dude fumbles the ball more than I've EVER seen a Running back. It's a shame though cause he is a damn good running back.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's not a multi-year fix. You can get all the starters in place easily.
No team has perfect depth.
The mock addresses the starters and most of the depth, and as mentioned there is $14 mill still to play with for additional vets for depth.
I just didn't care to specify cheap depth vet signings.

We have $72 million in cap space, but only 23 players under contract.  That $14 million will get eaten up pretty quick.
Reply/Quote
Here's what I would do:

FA's-

Re-sign-

1) CJ Uzomah(TE)
2) BJ Hill(DT)
3) Jessie Bates(FS)-franchise if need be
4) Quinton Spain (G)
5) Tre Flowers (CB/S)
6) Eli Apple(CB)
7) Clark Harris(LS)
8) Kevin Huber(P)
9) Brandon Allen(QB)
10) Ricardo Allen (S/CB)

Outside FA's:

1) Brian Allen© Rams- we need a major upgrade over Hopkins, who becomes new G/C swingman.

2) Brian O'Neill(RT) Vikings- Reiff is getting older, and this move solidifies the O-Line. (J.Williams-Spain-Allen-Carmen-O'Neill)

Salary Cuts:

1) Tre Waynes-11 million

Draft: (4 rounds)

1) Perrion Winfrey(DT) -Oklahoma

2) Kyler Gordon(CB)- Washington

3) Tyler Smith(OT)- Tulsa

4) George Pickens(WR)-Georgia

4) Charlie Kolar(TE)- iowa St.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:52 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We have $72 million in cap space, but only 23 players under contract.  That $14 million will get eaten up pretty quick.

Per Spotrac, the Bengals have 36 players under contract for 2022.
35 if they cut Waynes.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2022/

Per the mock that was outlined, the Bengals would add 13 players to that (6 in FA, 7 in draft).
That would bring the list of players to 48.

The Bengals would have enough cap left to add the remaining 3 under cap (cap only is the Top 51), as those last few back-end depth players can be $1 mill or less players.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 06:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Per Spotrac, the Bengals have 36 players under contract for 2022.
35 if they cut Waynes.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2022/

Per the mock that was outlined, the Bengals would add 13 players to that (6 in FA, 7 in draft).
That would bring the list of players to 48.

The Bengals would have enough cap left to add the remaining 3 under cap (cap only is the Top 51), as those last few back-end depth players can be $1 mill or less players.

Odd, when I checked it a couple of weeks ago, that number was different.  That's better news, I thought we would have a hard time signing that many guys.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 03:31 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: Here's what I would do:

FA's-

Re-sign-

1) CJ Uzomah(TE)
2) BJ Hill(DT)
3) Jessie Bates(FS)-franchise if need be
4) Quinton Spain (G)
5) Tre Flowers (CB/S)
6) Eli Apple(CB)
7) Clark Harris(LS)
8) Kevin Huber(P)
9) Brandon Allen(QB)
10) Ricardo Allen (S/CB)

Outside FA's:

1) Brian Allen© Rams- we need a major upgrade over Hopkins, who becomes new G/C swingman.

2) Brian O'Neill(RT) Vikings- Reiff is getting older, and this move solidifies the O-Line. (J.Williams-Spain-Allen-Carmen-O'Neill)

Salary Cuts:

1) Tre Waynes-11 million

Draft: (4 rounds)

1) Perrion Winfrey(DT) -Oklahoma

2) Kyler Gordon(CB)- Washington

3) Tyler Smith(OT)- Tulsa

4) George Pickens(WR)-Georgia

4) Charlie Kolar(TE)- iowa St.
no Larry O for resign?? also, Id let B Allen walk. he looked terrible VS Browns. W e need a guy we can rely on ..a good savy vet like Fitz.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 07:45 PM)kalibengal Wrote: no Larry O for resign?? also, Id let B Allen walk. he looked terrible VS Browns. W e need a guy we can rely on ..a good savy vet like Fitz.  

Agreed on Allen. Wonder what it would take to bring a guy like minshew in Behind burrow? If at all possible... Minshew a reckless gunslinger...with our Weapons it may bode well for minshews game. He’s certainly a better option than Allen.
Reply/Quote