Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenten Dishes
Does anyone have any non meat dishes they like to eat on Fridays during lent?

Fish is alright every once in awhile but I get tired of it. I made a shrimp pasta last Friday that was pretty good, going to keep that in the rotation.

I dont mind veggie stuff but I need to eat foods that are higher in protein which is hard eating all veggie. I also do breakfast for dinner from time to time to get the protein in (eggs and high protein pancakes).
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Along with the fish and shrimp thing on Fridays, every year we'll have a grilled cheese eating contest.  dipping them in tomato soup.   but that's usually only done once during Lent.  We also do cheese pizza sometimes. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If you find an affordable source of some good, fresh Yellow fin Tuna steaks, you might rethink the notion of fish being alright every "once in a while". I was skeptical, until my old neighbor brought me some, and taught me how to grill it properly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 06:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Does anyone have any non meat dishes they like to eat on Fridays during lent?

Fish is alright every once in awhile but I get tired of it. I made a shrimp pasta last Friday that was pretty good, going to keep that in the rotation.

I dont mind veggie stuff but I need to eat foods that are higher in protein which is hard eating all veggie. I also do breakfast for dinner from time to time to get the protein in (eggs and high protein pancakes).

Pudding.

Wait... sorry, i forgot it is written, If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Reply/Quote
Work on Fridays and if not getting a fish sandwich I go with an onion, green pepper, cherry pepper, tomato and pineapple pizza.

Probably sounds odd but not a fan of olives or mushrooms.

When off ? Sometimes I take an onion, a yellow & red pepper, a squash, some garlic and an eggplant. Saute them and add a marinara of choice and mix with bow tie pasta.

Sprinkle cheese of choice over top. Even kids say they can not even tell it is meatless. Could use vegetables of choice in lieu of my selections too.

Or just eggplant parmesan, which I love.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Potato soup is another, made without any bacon obviously

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Lenten pun

What type of meat do priests eat on Friday?

Nun.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lenten pun

What type of meat do priests eat on Friday?

Nun.

Here's the recipe.

[Image: pic0tk0sE.jpg]

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/nuns-puffs-with-cream-187515

Reply/Quote
When I’m tired of fish on Lenten Fridays — which is rare because I love fish — I will go for vegetarian Indian fare like Nav Rattan Korma, Aloo Mattar, Mattar Paneer, or Saag Paneer.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: When I’m tired of fish on Lenten Fridays — which is rare because I love fish — I will go for vegetarian Indian fare like Nav Rattan Korma, Aloo Mattar, Mattar Paneer, or Saag Paneer.

Yep when you love fish it is not really much of a sacrifice. 

Nice Lenten loophole. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't eat meat on EVERY Friday of the year (its an Italian, Catholic thing).

Therefore, I generally:

- go out for sushi (Used to do this EVERY Friday for 4 years, until I started lviing on my own. Honestly.)
- make a Chinese shrimp dish with rice (from scratch; not too hard and I learned from watching my father make it and Iron Chef)
- make hand rolls, aka Sushi Cones (shrimp, calamari, salmon/tuna sashimi for the protein)
- Shrimp Alfredo pasta (use any pasta for this, though Spaghetti is my fiancée's fav)
- go to the local boil restaurant (where I don't have any boils lol), for fish and chips, oysters, soft shell crab, etc.
- make Iron Chef Sakai's breaded, pan-fried sole, with a large shrimp in the centre, garnished with chives/green onion and okra.
- make Iron Chef Kenichi's Prawns in Chili Sauce, which I failed miserably on the first few times I've made it.

So yeah, keeping a rotation of this is more than worthwhile and not too expensive, plus you get to eat out once in a while.

For lunch, I literally get a tuna salad from Subway (with my choice of fixings), Sofritas burrito bowl from Chiptole (haven't gotten this in a few weeks Sad)or a can of tuna.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: When I’m tired of fish on Lenten Fridays — which is rare because I love fish — I will go for vegetarian Indian fare like Nav Rattan Korma, Aloo Mattar, Mattar Paneer, or Saag Paneer.

I never plan on eating vegetarian, but often when I eat Indian food I don't even miss the meat.

My sister's (ex)husband is from Pakistan.  I've learned a lot about Indian food from them.  She has even made her own paneer from scratch at home. 
Reply/Quote