Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leon Hall injured, Nelson passes on iloka deal...
Hall was injured all season. Nelson was money hungry...
Aged bengals
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
If Fisher is so talented, why would that make him a guard instead of Whit's eventual replacement?

I appreciate Hall playing so well through an injury this year. I played high school football with a lower back injury and it feels like you're getting stabbed everytime your foot hits the ground.
Reply/Quote
I like Leon Hall but his legs are wearing thin. He will need to retire soon for his own sake. Damn good corner in his prime though.
Reply/Quote
Lot of respect for Hall. He put it all out there. I dont know if he felt he owed it for the 9mil salary or if he wanted a championship or both. Either way we appreciate it Leon.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 12:50 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: If Fisher is so talented, why would that make him a guard instead of Whit's eventual replacement?
Because Ogbuehi was the first rounder taken to replace Whit
Reply/Quote
This makes me not like Reggie Nelson as much as I used to.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 12:20 AM)CincyProduct Wrote: Hall was injured all season. Nelson was money hungry...
Aged bengals

Nelson bet on himself and lost. He's a solid player, but not elite and with his age, his avg tackling and avg cover skills, he got greedy and it backfired. While I think Oakland is building a solid team, he passed up an opportunity to actually win something here now and by the time I believe Oakland will be a legitimate contender he'll probably be done as I feel Oakland is still a year or two away.
Reply/Quote
"However, Lapham said the Bengals offered Nelson essentially the same deal they gave Iloka without as much guaranteed money and as many years."

So... not the same deal at all, then, got it.

If two of the three important parts of a contract (value, years, guaranteed money) are different, then it's 66% not the same contract, or only 33% similar. That's not the same at all. That's like saying AJ Green (6'4, 207 lbs, 4.50 forty time) and Devon Cajuste (6'4, 234 lbs, 4.62 forty time) from this upcoming draft are essentially the same physically. Sure the weight might be way different, and the speed too, but they're the same height. That's 33%!

Bengals do this a LOT. "Oh, we offered them the same money." or "We offered them the same contract as they signed with the other team." It's the perfect way to make people turn on the players they used to really like and make the Bengals look great for not signing them. How many people disliked JJo after they said they offered him the same money (even though it wasn't)? Now there's someone higher in the thread saying "This makes me not like Reggie Nelson as much as I used to."..... well, it worked, so why wouldn't the Bengals keep doing this?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 01:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "However, Lapham said the Bengals offered Nelson essentially the same deal they gave Iloka without as much guaranteed money and as many years."

If two of the three important parts of a contract (value, years, guaranteed money) are different, then it's 66% not the same contract, or only 33% similar. That's not the same at all. That's like saying AJ Green (6'4, 207 lbs, 4.50 forty time) and Devon Cajuste (6'4, 234 lbs, 4.62 forty time) from this upcoming draft are essentially the same physically. Sure the weight might be way different, and the speed too, but they're the same height. That's 33%!

Bengals do this a LOT. "Oh, we offered them the same money." or "We offered them the same contract as they signed with the other team." It's the perfect way to make people turn on the players they used to really like and make the Bengals look great for not signing them. How many people disliked JJo after they said they offered him the same money (even though it wasn't)? Now there's someone higher in the thread saying "This makes me not like Reggie Nelson as much as I used to."..... well, it worked, so why wouldn't the Bengals keep doing this?

At Reggies age, it was a very fair deal. This is not on the Bengals FO.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 01:04 PM)Garrus Wrote: At Reggies age, it was a very fair deal. This is not on the Bengals FO.

Except you don't know exactly what the deal even was and you're calling it very fair. We just know it was supposedly similar to $6m/yr, at an unknown number of years (could have been 1, they don't say conveniently) with less guaranteed money, and Iloka only got $5m guaranteed, or $1m a year, so less than $1m/yr guaranteed?

So if you think it's just a downsized contract of Iloka's with less guaranteed....

2yr/$12m, $1-1.5m guaranteed.... that's not particularly a "very" fair deal. He got $4m guaranteed with the Raiders, and that's even with the FA market dying out. Dude did just come off leading the NFL in INT and being a Pro Bowler. Bengals once again offer less, with less guaranteed money, and call it "similar".

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 01:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "However, Lapham said the Bengals offered Nelson essentially the same deal they gave Iloka without as much guaranteed money and as many years."

Meh, it works both ways.

If the Bengals say nothing then the haters all cry about how we never made him any reasonable offer or even tried to re-sign him at all.

Reggie got a 2 year deal with incentives that could push it close to $10 million (only $4 million guaranteed).  Even if the Bengals just offered a 2 year deal at $6 million a year like Ilkoa got it was a better deal for Nelson.

People who don't like Reggie because he tried to get more money from another team are wrong.  But the people who "don't understand why the Bengals didn't want to pay Reggie" are also wrong.
Reply/Quote
So other than the money and the time, the Bengals offered the same contract. LMFAO
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 01:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except you don't know exactly what the deal even was and you're calling it very fair. We just know it was supposedly similar to $6m/yr, at an unknown number of years (could have been 1, they don't say conveniently) with less guaranteed money, and Iloka only got $5m guaranteed, or $1m a year, so less than $1m/yr guaranteed?

So if you think it's just a downsized contract of Iloka's with less guaranteed....

2yr/$12m, $1-1.5m guaranteed.... that's not particularly a "very" fair deal. He got $4m guaranteed with the Raiders, and that's even with the FA market dying out. Dude did just come off leading the NFL in INT and being a Pro Bowler. Bengals once again offer less, with less guaranteed money, and call it "similar".

Perhaps the FO has more insight into the severity of RN's injury in the playoff game. I love Reggie, but would prefer to see the guaranteed money and longer term contracts invested in our younger core
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 09:48 AM)Crowe Wrote: Nelson bet on himself and lost. He's a solid player, but not elite and with his age, his avg tackling and avg cover skills, he got greedy and it backfired. While I think Oakland is building a solid team, he passed up an opportunity to actually win something here now and by the time I believe Oakland will be a legitimate contender he'll probably be done as I feel Oakland is still a year or two away.

Maybe like many of us, he didn't see ever winning the trophy with Marvelous Marvin as HC.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 02:11 PM)Derrick Wrote: Maybe like many of us, he didn't see ever winning the trophy with Marvelous Marvin as HC.

Yeah, right.  that is clearly why he went to OAKLAND!

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I have no issue with the Bengals or Reggie on his deal. I thought the Bengals offer was fair enough, based on Reggie's age and coming off of an injury. And for Reggie's part, he took the better financial option at this stage of his career. 

Reggie was a helluva player and I'll miss seeing him in stripes, but at the same time, I'm excited to see what Shawn Williams can do with his shot. 

As for Leon, the guy is a warrior and has always been tough as hell. The injuries over the recent years are unfortunate.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 02:02 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: Perhaps the FO has more insight into the severity of RN's injury in the playoff game.  I love Reggie, but would prefer to see the guaranteed  money and longer term contracts invested in our younger core

Perhaps that is so about the injury. I wanted Reggie brought back, but I am not devastated they didn't or anything.

My only point is how the Bengals always seem to pretend they offered the exact same as the other team/another player, but when the details are learned, it's never actually the same. Saying the offered him the same as Iloka, but less years and less money is just silly because then it's not the same at all. That's what I was really trying to get at. If you didn't offer him the same, don't pretend you did. At least own up to it rather than pissing on our shoes and telling us it's raining for the 10th time.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 03:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My only point is how the Bengals always seem to pretend they offered the exact same as the other team/another player, but when the details are learned, it's never actually the same. Saying the offered him the same as Iloka, but less years and less money is just silly because then it's not the same at all. That's what I was really trying to get at. If you didn't offer him the same, don't pretend you did. At least own up to it rather than pissing on our shoes and telling us it's raining for the 10th time.

And my point is that the Bengals haters around here always seem to pretend that the Bengals do not even make competitive offers top these guys.

If the Bengals were willing to pay Reggie 6 million a year like they did Iloka then don't act like all they do is low ball potential free agents.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And my point is that the Bengals haters around here always seem to pretend that the Bengals do not even make competitive offers top these guys.

If the Bengals were willing to pay Reggie 6 million a year like they did Iloka then don't act like all they do is low ball potential free agents.

I thought your point was we had to solve a riddle in order to cross your bridge?

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 01:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals do this a LOT. "Oh, we offered them the same money." or "We offered them the same contract as they signed with the other team." It's the perfect way to make people turn on the players they used to really like and make the Bengals look great for not signing them. How many people disliked JJo after they said they offered him the same money (even though it wasn't)? Now there's someone higher in the thread saying "This makes me not like Reggie Nelson as much as I used to."..... well, it worked, so why wouldn't the Bengals keep doing this?

Joseph said that the Bengals deal was similar to the Texans. He asked them to match the guaranteed money, but they opted not to.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote