Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leon Hall injured, Nelson passes on iloka deal...
(04-12-2016, 04:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Joseph said that the Bengals deal was similar to the Texans. He asked them to match the guaranteed money, but they opted not to.

Yeah, and if you have less guaranteed money, it's not the same deal. It's why they only called their offer "competitive" at the time. They don't like to offer big guaranteed money. They have 5 people with at least $10m in guaranteed money on their roster. That is the third least of any team in the NFL.

It's fine if your front office's method or whatnot is to not offer large guaranteed money, but the problem comes when you pretend that you offered the same thing despite clearly not. Not many people want to rely on their billionaire boss' "reputation" of "generally" letting players see the entirety of their contract when an injury or something occurs. They want guarantees.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 05:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, and if you have less guaranteed money, it's not the same deal. It's why they only called their offer "competitive" at the time. They don't like to offer big guaranteed money. They have 5 people with at least $10m in guaranteed money on their roster. That is the third least of any team in the NFL.

It's fine if your front office's method or whatnot is to not offer large guaranteed money, but the problem comes when you pretend that you offered the same thing despite clearly not. Not many people want to rely on their billionaire boss' "reputation" of "generally" letting players see the entirety of their contract when an injury or something occurs. They want guarantees.
I didnt know the bengals actually came out and said what they offered. Here i thought this was from a cincyjungle article.

Either way i guarantee we made a competitive offer. He didnt take it. So we paid Iloka. That has pretty much how we have been doing it when we have two guys at the same position coming up. Jj and leon. Dunlap and MJ. Now iloka and nelson.

I'd rather have a boss that fulfills his commitments than one that cuts you a year into a 5-6 year contract. Hopefully Thornton keeps growing as an agent I know he has to respect the way the front office does business.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget that there's also the agent in all of the equation. Typically (as far as I know) the agents make the deals and the player either signs on for it or not. We'll never know what Reggies agent told him or not so it's forever a mystery that I really don't much care to waste my days pondering.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote