Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leonard Fournette?
"If" the Bengals cut Joe Mixon for cap reasons, should they consider pursuing Leonard Fournette as a replacement? He's requested his release from Tampa Bay, and they seemed to have reached an agreement. A couple reasons to consider him in my opinion are his playoff experience. He's only 28 and has relatively few carries in his career with just 1132. He's a north and south runner that could be effective in the AFC North and he's a good receiver out of the backfield as well. He's not that dynamic as a runner, but he's still effective. He should be at least half the cost Joe Mixon, perhaps even less expensive. Him and Perine would form a pretty decent 1-2 punch with similar running styles. I realize he's has a few minor injury issues throughout his career and has missed a few games each season, but I think keeping his workload to around 250-275 touches while splitting time is worth considering.
Reply/Quote
Too slow
Reply/Quote
Fournette is one of the very few primary backs who actually performed worse than Mixon last year.

I guess he's a better catcher and cannot be a worse blocker, but why trade one subpar RB for another?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Don't forget he has the LSU tie. One year ago Playoff Lenny was one of only 4 RBs to have over 800 rushing yards and 400 receiving yards.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He’s not that good anymore and we don’t need to bring in a veteran at RB.

Reply/Quote
Nope.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Think the Bengals need to draft a fresh legged RB and have him on the cheap for a few years

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:38 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Think the Bengals need to draft a fresh legged RB and have him on the cheap for a few years

I agree, and preferable one that can pass protect, since that is the majority of what we ask from our running backs. I'm actually fine with making Perine the main back and drafting a speed back to compliment him. I like Mixon, always have, but his refusal or inability to improve his blocking is really getting to me, which is why I said it was a mistake to get rid of Gio.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 09:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree, and preferable one that can pass protect, since that is the majority of what we ask from our running backs. I'm actually fine with making Perine the main back and drafting a speed back to compliment him. I like Mixon, always have, but his refusal or inability to improve his blocking is really getting to me, which is why I said it was a mistake to get rid of Gio.

Gio was good in his time, but no player lasts forever.  He really didn't accomplish anything noteworthy in his time with the Bucs, so was it really a mistake to move on from him?  The mistake, as it would appear, is not having found another back with similar traits since his departure from the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There were multiple games last year where he would just kind of jog into the A gap standing straight up and just kind of fall over with first contact. Was very weird to see. Not sure he has many games left in him.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 10:01 AM)treee Wrote: There were multiple games last year where he would just kind of jog into the A gap standing straight up and just kind of fall over with first contact. Was very weird to see. Not sure he has many games left in him.

Yep, time to break out the B B King records, because the thrill is gone.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 09:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Gio was good in his time, but no player lasts forever.  He really didn't accomplish anything noteworthy in his time with the Bucs, so was it really a mistake to move on from him?  The mistake, as it would appear, is not having found another back with similar traits since his departure from the team.

But that's the thing, everyone screams to get rid of this player or that player, but you can't get rid of them until you have a replacement. We did not have a replacement for Gio's blocking abilities, and Burrow paid for it. There is more to being a Running Back than running the ball. The running back on this team HAS to be able to block effectively. Mixon is not getting it done. Gio may not be he runner he used to be, but he is still a premiere blocker. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 09:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree, and preferable one that can pass protect, since that is the majority of what we ask from our running backs. I'm actually fine with making Perine the main back and drafting a speed back to compliment him. I like Mixon, always have, but his refusal or inability to improve his blocking is really getting to me, which is why I said it was a mistake to get rid of Gio.

Absolutely we need one that can block as well as carry the rock. 

(03-02-2023, 09:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Gio was good in his time, but no player lasts forever.  He really didn't accomplish anything noteworthy in his time with the Bucs, so was it really a mistake to move on from him?  The mistake, as it would appear, is not having found another back with similar traits since his departure from the team.

Agree with this as well. On a whole its just not smart to keep RB's long term in this league anymore the way it's structured imo. 

Actually Gio fit the mold of what Jay Gruden was searching for and said that was his goal to find before the draft. We had the speed back already in in Bernard Scott and the plodder in the Law Firm, but Gruden said he needed a more versatile back in the mix.

Yet Gio was a tad light in the rear end to be the perfect back, yet he was a darn good one who would sacrifice whatever was needed for the team. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The line is the problem. No back will look good running into a brick wall.
Reply/Quote