Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Perine left
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/24/samaje-perine-explains-choosing-broncos-over-bengals-free-agency/
Reply/Quote
I don't know how splitting time in Sean Payton's system will get him more PT than the 47% of the snaps he got last season with the Bengals, but go Samaje. Hope that it works out well for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know how splitting time in Sean Payton's system will get him more PT than the 47% of the snaps he got last season with the Bengals, but go Samaje.  Hope that it works out well for him.

I read the article earlier and was thinking the same thing. He was already splitting snaps, so I have to think it was just the allure of playing in Payton's scheme. Kamara and Ingram were both scoring TDs in bunches at one point. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:57 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I read the article earlier and was thinking the same thing. He was already splitting snaps, so I have to think it was just the allure of playing in Payton's scheme. Kamara and Ingram were both scoring TDs in bunches at one point. 

Hard to say, exactly.  I mean for a back at 28 to be looking to be a part of an offense that runs the ball as much as they do in Payton's system, one might think that he could be looking at shortening his lifespan as a player.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:57 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I read the article earlier and was thinking the same thing. He was already splitting snaps, so I have to think it was just the allure of playing in Payton's scheme. Kamara and Ingram were both scoring TDs in bunches at one point. 

He said in an earlier interview he liked the idea of a more 'ground and pound' style of offense.
Reply/Quote
In theory it sounds good. Does Denver have the offensive line to get it done though? They weren't even close last year.
Reply/Quote
Best of luck to him (Unless we are playing them) but If the money was the same I don't understand that move.
Reply/Quote
In my opinion we should have made Perine #1 and let Mixon's contract go and draft a possible 1 or 2. Instead we are left with the reverse. At the minimum Perine was the superior pass blocker.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 12:12 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: In my opinion we should have made Perine #1 and let Mixon's contract go and draft a possible 1 or 2. Instead we are left with the reverse. At the minimum Perine was the superior pass blocker.

This...
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 12:12 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: In my opinion we should have made Perine #1 and let Mixon's contract go and draft a possible 1 or 2. Instead we are left with the reverse. At the minimum Perine was the superior pass blocker.

I think a lot of people thought that was going to happen.  Mixon would be cut saving the team 10 million in cap space and Perine would be the #1.  Who knows, maybe thats what the Bengals were going to do.  The problem is they had to sign Perine first before they cut Mixon that way they made sure they had a #1 RB signed.  They couldnt cut Mixon first then have Perine sign with another team because the Bengals wouldnt have a #1 or #2 RB.  Perine might have messed up the Bengals plans to move him to the #1 RB spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 01:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If they were going to cut Mixon they tell him you are #1 and pay him as a number #1 and it’s sealed and delivered. Instead they told him Mixon was still #1 and paid him that way.

I dont think they would tell Perine they would be cutting Mixon.  Thats too much personal front office decision making they would be letting Perine in on.  Also, it would inevitably have Perine wanting a larger contract which would hurt cap space.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know how splitting time in Sean Payton's system will get him more PT than the 47% of the snaps he got last season with the Bengals, but go Samaje.  Hope that it works out well for him.

Percentage of snaps and percentage of carries is different. The majority of snaps Samaje got here were on passing downs where he was in to ptoect Joe. He wants to be the one running the ball. Can't blame him, he's pretty good when he gets the chance. I wish him well. 
Reply/Quote
I think him and Mixon were/are friends. And taking somebody else's money meant his friend might keep his job.
Reply/Quote
There's a part of me that thinks that they may let him play out his contract as a reward for being a solid Bengal over the years. MB seems to do things like that to guys that have remained loyal.

Paying Mixon that much money is asinine. The Free Agent pool is deep and fresh legs are always good. From a business standpoint it makes absolutely zero sense. From a loyalty approach Mike Brown is somewhat of a wildcard. I wouldn't mind seeing Joe play for less and the team draft a young RB. 

I recently read a mock that included S.Tucker from Syracuse being scooped up by Cincy. As for Perine, I believe that he was licking his chops to play the Ingram role in Payton's offense. He was probably presented with an amazing highlight reel of thumper backs scoring TDs. Aka Ingram, Murray, T.Hill...ect. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 08:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He said in an earlier interview he liked the idea of a more 'ground and pound' style of offense.

Yep, we are much more of a passing Offense with Burrow. That is why any RB we bring in I hope is a very willing blocker, unlike Mixon.

Trayveon seems to be willing in the few plays I noticed him in pass blocking last year which is a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 09:04 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m familiar with both of them. They are longtime teammate friends. Absolutely nothing alike. Perine left because it was clear to him that Joe was still going to be the starter. If they were planning to move on from Joe they’d have kept Samaje. They don’t want a backfield of new running backs next year. If they end up getting somebody great like how Orlando Brown falling in their lap or they need Joe’s money it could change.

That obviously wasn't the case because as Katie stated, there are a 'whole myriad of things that can happen' with Mixon. 

Samaje has made it clear why he left...he loves the idea of being a part of Payton's offense, and even with that being the case, it was still a very tough decision to leave for him.
Reply/Quote
I think it has less to do with whether or not it's Joe Mixon who got the most handoffs, and more to do with that the guy who was going to get the most handoffs even if Perine stayed was not going to be Perine. Or even if it somehow was due to injuries to other RBs, he wouldn't get a lot of carries in this offense. Remember, Perine has the NCAA record for most yards in a single game in a game when Mixon was suspended, so I think he's disappointed that he doesn't get to put up a lot of stats.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, we are much more of a passing Offense with Burrow. That is why any RB we bring in I hope is a very willing blocker, unlike Mixon.

Trayveon seems to be willing in the few plays I noticed him in pass blocking last year which is a good thing.

I'm actually right there with you on this. Williams was a stud RB in the SEC. I think there may be some untapped potential with him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, we are much more of a passing Offense with Burrow. That is why any RB we bring in I hope is a very willing blocker, unlike Mixon.

Love what he brought to ST's and believe he will be productive if given the chance at RB. 

Although we will not know for certain until he gets thrown into the fire.

A rookie could get in the way of this though. Only time will tell, but really like the kid. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote