Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Les Miles said Ja'Marr couldn't play WR
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kinda like Urban Meyer not believing in Joe Burrow as QB1…

As much as I think Urban Meyer can go piss up a rope...

Dwayne Haskins 2018: 13-1, Big 10 Champion, won Rose Bowl
70.0% Completion, 9.1 YPA, 50 TD/8 INT

Joe Burrow 2018: 10-3, won Fiesta Bowl
57.8% Completion, 7.6 YPA, 16 TD/5 INT

Burrow was objectively the worse QB in 2018, and college programs aren't like NFL teams where one year of adversity can bring you better picks and rebound. In college a year of adversity leads to recruits decommitting, guys graduating, declaring early, entering the transfer portal, and coaches being fired.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I imagine it is much easier to recruit top talent when they can show the high school prospects how many of their players got drafted into the NFL.  I bet there is a lot of behind the scenes talk like, "Commit to [university name here] and I'll do everything I can to make sure you go pro like I did for [insert names here]."

Oh, I'm sure it's a selling point for some coaches.  But I'm also sure there are plenty of programs that can get kids based on other reasons.  I'd also imagine there are coaches that think they've hacked something special in college and maybe it'll catch on in the pros.  Remember Oregon not that many years ago with their spread offense?  It did a hell of a job hyping up the team and Kelly but wasn't 1-for-1 transferrable to the pro game.  Still, I doubt he had issues recruiting to a team with that much buzz, winning big seasons and their crazy uniform deal.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:59 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Eh people overrate that choice. Joe was coming off injury and Haskins had played well in his limited time and outplayed Joe during the competition. College coaches don’t get the leeway to pick who they think will be better a year or two from now. They have to pick the best player today and hope the other guy is ok sticking on the bench.

Urban picked the guy who gave him the best chance to win a championship that season. OSU was a serious contender that year and Haskins way outplayed Burrow that year as well. Burrow gets the last laugh and is clearly the better QB in the long run but he wasn’t better that year and that’s why he wasn’t named the starter.

And don't underestimate what Haskins did against Mich.in throwing 3 TD passes to cement his status or,rather,give him a huge leg up going into spring practice against Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I imagine it is much easier to recruit top talent when they can show the high school prospects how many of their players got drafted into the NFL.  I bet there is a lot of behind the scenes talk like, "Commit to [university name here] and I'll do everything I can to make sure you go pro like I did for [insert names here]."

Calipari made his entire career off that, and Nick Saban so to an even greater degree. Just like Meyer, Saban isn't widely regarded for his ability to develop QBs, but skill position players and linemen from Saban's programs are amazing. Meyer also contributed a large share of top talent to the NFL, so its not like his system is devoid of development. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:47 PM)jason Wrote: "Throws like a girl" he said.

He would have lost it then if Mahomes went to OSU.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: We don't know . . . he might've been even more amazing as a CB.

Les Miles . . . visionary.

Nah, nevermind.

Yea I doubt anybody's football IQ who says Chase can't play WR... Now saying you may be even better at another position is completely different but he said you can't play WR?  Ignorance.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:36 PM)pally Wrote: When he was recruiting Ja'Marr he told him he couldn't play WR that he would be better off switching to CB.  Aren't we glad that LSU fired MIles and Ja'Marr didn't listen to that advice

Ja'Marr would be a crazy CB, but he is def better as a WR.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
EDIT

Les Miles is fired for a reason though, lol
Reply/Quote
Kind of glad Burrow transferred from OSU to LSU since it's only been a few million years since either OSU or Alabama has developed a QB who stuck around long in the NFL.. Both teams are like QB kisses of deaths.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Kind of glad Burrow transferred from OSU to LSU since it's only been a few million years since either OSU or Alabama has developed a QB who stuck around long in the NFL.. Both teams are like QB kisses of deaths.. 

Yeah, OSU has had bad luck with QB's...

But most colleges are the same. 
Reply/Quote
No wonder Les and Urb were eventually dismissed.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:12 PM)Go Cards Wrote: No wonder Les and Urb were eventually dismissed.

Urban...haha was drinking at a bar I used to visit. Good old columbus!  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Kind of glad Burrow transferred from OSU to LSU since it's only been a few million years since either OSU or Alabama has developed a QB who stuck around long in the NFL.. Both teams are like QB kisses of deaths.. 

Pretty much have to go back to David Woodley to find an LSU QB that stuck in the NFL before Burrow... Unless you wanna count Matt Flynn.

Where the hell do good NFL QBs come from?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:31 PM)jason Wrote: Pretty much have to go back to David Woodley to find an LSU QB that stuck in the NFL before Burrow... Unless you wanna count Matt Flynn.

Not a fan, but Purdue has had their share. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
My Cards have had a few good ones over the years, maybe not the best but we're proud

Lamar Jackson
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Unitas
Jay Gruden
Chris Redman
Jeff Brohm
Brian Brohm
Stefan Le Fors
Browning Nagle

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:46 PM)Go Cards Wrote: My Cards have had a few good ones over the years, maybe not the best but we're proud

Lamar Jackson
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Unitas
Jay Gruden
Chris Redman
Jeff Brohm
Brian Brohm
Stefan Le Fors
Browning Nagle

respectable list. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:46 PM)Go Cards Wrote: My Cards have had a few good ones over the years, maybe not the best but we're proud

Lamar Jackson
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Unitas
Jay Gruden
Chris Redman
Jeff Brohm
Brian Brohm
Stefan Le Fors
Browning Nagle

I really thought Brohm would be good. Brohm and Woodson made for some fun UofL vs UK games. I tell you who was fun to watch at QB at UK for the limited time he played QB, Randall Cobb.
Reply/Quote

Lamar Jackson
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Unitas
Jay Gruden
Chris Redman
Jeff Brohm
Brian Brohm
Stefan Le Fors
Browning Nagle

I was terrified at first when Redman was drafted by the Ravens. I thought he was going to be what they needed with that defense behind him.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:46 PM)Go Cards Wrote: My Cards have had a few good ones over the years, maybe not the best but we're proud

Lamar Jackson
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Unitas
Jay Gruden
Chris Redman
Jeff Brohm
Brian Brohm
Stefan Le Fors
Browning Nagle

lol to be fair, they ALL sucked hard, outside of the top 3.

(01-26-2022, 09:31 PM)jason Wrote: Pretty much have to go back to David Woodley to find an LSU QB that stuck in the NFL before Burrow... Unless you wanna count Matt Flynn.

Not too many good QBs have come from the SEC, for some reason.

The top AV QBs are as follows:

Brady: B1G
Brees: B1G
Manning: SEC
Favre: CUSA
Tarkenton: SEC
Rivers: ACC
Rodgers: PAC-12
Marino: ACC
'berger: MAC
Elway: PAC-12
Matt Ryan: ACC
Eli: SEC
Steve Young: Ind
Montana: Ind
Fouts: PAC-12
Moon: PAC-12
Ken Anderson: CCIW
Wilson: ACC/B1G
Unitas: ACC
Stafford: SEC

So, of the top 20, we have:

ACC: 5
SEC: 4
PAC-12: 4
B1G: 3
Ind: 2
CUSA: 1
MAC: 1
CCIW: 1

So if you're from the SEC, Georgia is your best bet or be a member of the Manning Family. Otherwise, evenly spread-out through the P5, save for the Big-12, which has 0.

EDIT* just realised I clicked on Randy White instead of Unitas, who was supposed to be the penultimate spot (out of it last night), have fixed and updated the list!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Lamar Jackson
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Unitas
Jay Gruden
Chris Redman
Jeff Brohm
Brian Brohm
Stefan Le Fors
Browning Nagle

Certainly better than UC's...

Tony Pike
Greg Cook