Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leslie Jones, under hateful barrage on Twitter, fights back
http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20160719%2F7f2f37f6-cbf5-4b54-900f-200aa8759b32

Quote:NEW YORK (AP) — Under a barrage of hateful posts on Twitter, "Ghostbusters" star Leslie Jones said she was "in a personal hell" and urged the social networking service to do more to eradicate abuse.

In a series of posts Monday night, Jones said she had been pummeled with racist tweets. She retweeted numerous tweets directed at her with disturbing language and pictures of apes.

Jones said the messages were deeply hurtful and brought her to tears. The "Saturday Night Live" cast member called on Twitter to strengthen guidelines and for users to "stop letting the ignorant people be the loud ones."

"I feel like I'm in a personal hell," wrote Jones. "I didn't do anything to deserve this. It's just too much. It shouldn't be like this. So hurt right now."

The exchanges came at a career high point for the "Saturday Night Live" cast member. "Ghostbusters," which opened last week, is her first major film role. "It's like when you think, 'OK I've proven I'm worthy' and then you get hit with a shovel of (hatred)," she said.

She concluded a string of messages early Tuesday morning. "I leave Twitter tonight with tears and a very sad heart," wrote Jones. "All this cause I did a movie."

The tweets caught the attention of Twitter chief executive Jack Dorsey, who sent Jones a message asking her to get in touch with him. Twitter later responded in a statement.

"This type of abusive behavior is not permitted on Twitter, and we've taken action on many of the accounts reported to us by both Leslie and others," said a spokesperson for Twitter. "We rely on people to report this type of behavior to us but we are continuing to invest heavily in improving our tools and enforcement systems to prevent this kind of abuse. We realize we still have a lot of work in front of us before Twitter is where it should be on how we handle these issues."

"Ghostbusters," which also stars Melissa McCarthy, Kirsten Wiig and Kate McKinnon, has spawned an unusual amount of vitriol online, with many anonymous commenters targeting its female stars. The film debuted with $46 million over the weekend.

Many, however, have come to Jones' defense, tweeting support for the actress under the hashtag "LoveForLeslieJ."

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/with_replies

Probably Obama's fault or Benghazi.  Clearly it can't be all the racism in this country.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Yeah, this Ghostbusters movie has gotten a lot of hate. Some of it legitimate, but there has been a lot of just hate for it being a gender reversal. So sad that she has gotten such a huge amount of that hate.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
So why is all of this being directed at her? I mean I've seen a lot of black people in movies. Why her?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-19-2016, 05:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So why is all of this being directed at her?  I mean I've seen a lot of black people in movies.  Why her?

If there is one thing people in this country hate it is a black woman who is successful...or one who isn't successful and is a damn leech on society...or one that probably only got that "not so successful that I can be mad at her but still kinda successful" job only because she's a black woman.

God I hate this woman.  Who does she think she is?
(07-19-2016, 04:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20160719%2F7f2f37f6-cbf5-4b54-900f-200aa8759b32

Probably Obama's fault or Benghazi.  Clearly it can't be all the racism in this country.

Nobody had to go racist over that.  Just tell her the movie sukked and leave it at that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

How dumb can people get? The movie was fine. Not great, but fine. What did these people expect going to see a remake with Melissa Mccarthy in it. Jones played her part just fine. My 5 year old enjoyed it.
Blizzard, the creators of the Warcraft series, World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, the Diablo series and others has just implemented something called "Silence" in World of Warcraft. It's been in Heroes of the Storm for a while now but the implementation into World of Warcraft is huge since its a really big social game.

What "Silence" does is it will silence players from public chat in game if they break the ToS.

If enough people "Report" another person for abusive chat, that person will be flagged to be checked by a moderator to see if the chat was actually abusive. If the chat is abusive, that person will be silenced for:

First offence: 1 day or 24 hours
Second offence: 2 days or 48 hours
Third offence: 4 days or 96 hours
Fourth offence: 8 days
Fifth offence: 16 days
Sixth offence: 32 days
Seventh offence: 64 days

And so on. The amount of time "Silenced" from Public Chat doubles and there is no limit.

Before, each offence could get you up to a 3 day game suspension and maybe even get your account removed.

I like the new system since players still get to play and talk to friends and guildies but if they break the rules, they could be silenced for a very long time.

Imagine watching chat, reading everyone talking about whatever and you so desperately want to troll but can't, lol.

Maybe FaceBook and Twitter can get something like this together.
No, that would open them up to lawsuits.
(07-19-2016, 06:58 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Imagine watching chat, reading everyone talking about whatever and you so desperately want to troll but can't, lol.

Eh, I used to silence the world chats fairly often anyway. Especially trade. That would be brutal.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-19-2016, 08:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, I used to silence the world chats fairly often anyway. Especially trade. That would be brutal.

I have all public chat turned off and everything I do is with the guild. It's rediculous what you read in trade chat though and Blizz needed do do something about it. Maybe this new silence feature will curb a lot of the crap that goes on.
(07-19-2016, 06:58 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Blizzard, the creators of the Warcraft series, World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, the Diablo series and others has just implemented something called "Silence" in World of Warcraft. It's been in Heroes of the Storm for a while now but the implementation into World of Warcraft is huge since its a really big social game.

What "Silence" does is it will silence players from public chat in game if they break the ToS.

If enough people "Report" another person for abusive chat, that person will be flagged to be checked by a moderator to see if the chat was actually abusive. If the chat is abusive, that person will be silenced for:

First offence: 1 day or 24 hours
Second offence: 2 days or 48 hours
Third offence: 4 days or 96 hours
Fourth offence: 8 days
Fifth offence: 16 days
Sixth offence: 32 days
Seventh offence: 64 days

And so on. The amount of time "Silenced" from Public Chat doubles and there is no limit.

Before, each offence could get you up to a 3 day game suspension and maybe even get your account removed.

I like the new system since players still get to play and talk to friends and guildies but if they break the rules, they could be silenced for a very long time.

Imagine watching chat, reading everyone talking about whatever and you so desperately want to troll but can't, lol.

Maybe FaceBook and Twitter can get something like this together.

We had something similar, back on the old SOCOM:2-3 servers.
We had the option to mute them, or boot them off of the server.
If they had action from users against them enough, they'd be reviewed, punished, and possibly banned.

On topic.......

4chan (/pol)
(07-19-2016, 06:10 PM)McC Wrote: Nobody had to go racist over that.  Just tell her the movie sukked and leave it at that.

My guess s they are racist about everything so they just went with their normal way of handling things they don't like.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-20-2016, 08:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: My guess s they are racist about everything so they just went with their normal way of handling things they don't like.

Yeah, the usual subreddits full of racism are all over this. If the RNC wasn't going on at the same time it would've been their primary focus of discussion.

(07-19-2016, 04:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20160719%2F7f2f37f6-cbf5-4b54-900f-200aa8759b32

She got all butthurt because Milo trashed her film(he never said anything racist in his Breitbart review), and then she went after him on Twitter, he fought back, and then his followers went after her. In the end Milo got the Twitter ban hammer, because she's too thin skinned and cant take criticism. Twitter being the left leaning platform that it is took action on her behalf.

Read Milos review for yourself and tell me where he's being racist. He always takes his shots at feminists but he never says anything remotely racist in it.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/18/milo-reviews-ghostbusters/
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
(07-20-2016, 09:29 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: She got all butthurt because Milo trashed her film(he never said anything racist in his Breitbart review), and then she went after him on Twitter, he fought back, and then his followers went after her. In the end Milo got the Twitter ban hammer, because she's too thin skinned and cant take criticism. Twitter being the left leaning platform that it is took action on her behalf.

Read Milos review for yourself and tell me where he's being racist. He always takes his shots at feminists but he never says anything remotely racist in it.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/18/milo-reviews-ghostbusters/

Did she call him racist? Mostly what I saw was a lot of racist attacks against her by his followers. There is no excuse for it, period. Even if she tried to call him racist, the response that came from his followers was atrocious.

Here is my thing, if you want to have a problem with Twitter censoring people, or with people crying racism too much, or whatever, then have a conversation about it. When you brigade someone with racist, sexist, hate filled tirades you are doing nothing but strengthening their position. I don't know what Milo said, nor do I give two shits about him being suspended, legitimately or not. What I'm concerned about is the vitriol in this world. No one deserves the shit she got from the people on there, and what's sad is that this is becoming more and more commonplace and seemingly acceptable.

I will freely admit that Leslie should have just ignored the asshole and moved on with life. She hasn't learned the lesson yet because this was her first major motion picture. But that doesn't come close to justifying what she endured as a result.

If the alleged Jones comments are true, she should have been banned as well.
(07-20-2016, 11:22 AM)Benton Wrote: If the alleged Jones comments are true, she should have been banned as well.

There are claims they were edited and that she did not say them. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

People just need to learn to chill out.

(07-20-2016, 09:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did she call him racist? Mostly what I saw was a lot of racist attacks against her by his followers. There is no excuse for it, period. Even if she tried to call him racist, the response that came from his followers was atrocious.

Here is my thing, if you want to have a problem with Twitter censoring people, or with people crying racism too much, or whatever, then have a conversation about it. When you brigade someone with racist, sexist, hate filled tirades you are doing nothing but strengthening their position. I don't know what Milo said, nor do I give two shits about him being suspended, legitimately or not. What I'm concerned about is the vitriol in this world. No one deserves the shit she got from the people on there, and what's sad is that this is becoming more and more commonplace and seemingly acceptable.

I will freely admit that Leslie should have just ignored the asshole and moved on with life. She hasn't learned the lesson yet because this was her first major motion picture. But that doesn't come close to justifying what she endured as a result.

Twitter is more than entitled to censor what they want.  That being said it is odd to me that these kind of things are, rightfully, censored but many tweets about the "pigs" deserving what they got after Dallas and Baton Rouge are not.  To me either be consistent with your censoring or don't censor at all.  Considering you can block or mute people at will I don't see the need for twitter to censor anyone except criminal organizations like Isis.

(07-20-2016, 11:22 AM)Benton Wrote: If the alleged Jones comments are true, she should have been banned as well.

Their history suggests this to be an unlikely occurrence.
I find myself conflicted. On the one hand, I liked Jones in GB2016. She was, IMO, the funniest of the 4. I understand the hate the movie got. I can't say it's completely unfounded, HOWEVER, that's no excuse to harass the actors/actresses that took part unless it was their fault the movie bombed. I mean, it'd be like digitally crucifying the guy that played Jar Jar Binks for the prequel trilogy when the guy that's to blame is George effing Lucas!

On the other hand, this is the internet. You should know that if you participate in anything online, you're opening yourself up to trolls and the more famous you are, the more likely to be harassed you are (and not all of it will be negative harassment). If you can't handle that, then stay away from the internet.

With that said, Twitter should have in place, SOME form of effective anti-harassment procedure, where if a user is bombarded by thousands/millions of negative and derogatory messages, there is a way to block/report them all quickly and easily instead of doing it one-at-a-time.
Wait, some guy got banned because of what other people said?

Now that's not right.