Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leslie Jones, under hateful barrage on Twitter, fights back
(07-20-2016, 03:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I met a gay conservative once.  Didn't know there was another.

They have their own lobby. Log Cabin Republicans.

http://www.logcabin.org/about-us/

Log Cabin Republicans is the nation’s original and largest organization representing gay conservatives
(07-20-2016, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They have their own lobby.  Log Cabin Republicans.

http://www.logcabin.org/about-us/

Log Cabin Republicans is the nation’s original and largest organization representing gay conservatives

"Log Cabin Republicans work to make the Republican Party more inclusive, particularly on gay and lesbian issues. Equality will be impossible to achieve without Republican votes. Working from inside the Party—educating other Republicans about gay and lesbian issues—is the most effective way to gain new Republican allies for equality. Log Cabin also exists as a voice for GOP values among members of the gay and lesbian community."

I may just have to donate to them.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-20-2016, 09:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did she call him racist? Mostly what I saw was a lot of racist attacks against her by his followers. There is no excuse for it, period. Even if she tried to call him racist, the response that came from his followers was atrocious.

Here is my thing, if you want to have a problem with Twitter censoring people, or with people crying racism too much, or whatever, then have a conversation about it. When you brigade someone with racist, sexist, hate filled tirades you are doing nothing but strengthening their position. I don't know what Milo said, nor do I give two shits about him being suspended, legitimately or not. What I'm concerned about is the vitriol in this world. No one deserves the shit she got from the people on there, and what's sad is that this is becoming more and more commonplace and seemingly acceptable.

I will freely admit that Leslie should have just ignored the asshole and moved on with life. She hasn't learned the lesson yet because this was her first major motion picture. But that doesn't come close to justifying what she endured as a result.

An asshole for what, calling the movie shit?

The entire thing escalated because of her response to his review. If she can't take criticism without playing a big role in it escalating into something else, maybe she should consider something aside from acting. Preferably something where you're not a public figure.
(07-20-2016, 12:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It wasn't just what others said. He said some things as well and was not completely innocent. IMO, this was a case of "this is becoming a regular occurrence with you, you're done."

If what happened can be described as "minor occurrences", Twitter isn't very consistent with the rules it has in place. Or at the very least vague.
(07-20-2016, 04:20 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: An asshole for what, calling the movie shit?

The entire thing escalated because of her response to his review. If she can't take criticism without playing a big role in it escalating into something else, maybe she should consider something aside from acting. Preferably something where you're not a public figure.

Him being an asshole has to do with more than just this incident. I find his behavior to be assholish all around, but that is why I don't consume his type of rhetoric.

It takes two to tango in these situations, or at least two I should say. Everyone involved made the decision to post what they posted and can take responsibility for it. She is responsible for being baited by a bad review just as he is responsible for being baited into returning fire. Goes both ways.

(07-20-2016, 04:26 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: If what happened can be described as "minor occurrences", Twitter isn't very consistent with the rules it has in place. Or at the very least vague.

And they don't have to be. Don't like it, don't use it. I agree it's consistent but you might as well whisper your concerns into a bottle and throw it in the Ohio river because that will do the same amount of good.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-20-2016, 04:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: "Log Cabin Republicans work to make the Republican Party more inclusive, particularly on gay and lesbian issues. Equality will be impossible to achieve without Republican votes. Working from inside the Party—educating other Republicans about gay and lesbian issues—is the most effective way to gain new Republican allies for equality. Log Cabin also exists as a voice for GOP values among members of the gay and lesbian community."

I may just have to donate to them.  

Yeah, they've been around for a while. A former neighbor and coworker of mine who ran off to work for the State Dept once he finished his PhD is a card carrying member. Very conservative, very southern, and very gay. It's very interesting sometimes.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-20-2016, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is a troll.  Everyone knows that but some people just don't care.

It is sad how many people LOVE trolls.  They think it is cool to be an asshole.  What the hell is wrong with people today?

This softball here.... nobody ?
Hilarious

More seriously though, there is a fine line between trolling and advancing discussion.
Sometimes, we all play devil's advocate to see where someone is going with their comments.
Sometimes, certain people steer a conversation to put someone in a corner.
This happens here, every day.
It is a chess match where we know the players and calculate the possibilities of their strategies.
Trolls generally upend the board, point, insult, and project spittle as they laugh.
So, take it as a compliment when I say there are some true craftsmen here.
ThumbsUp
Is Slimer in the movie?
(07-21-2016, 11:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is Slimer in the movie?

yes, bill Clinton makes a cameo.

Mellow
(07-21-2016, 11:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is Slimer in the movie?

Yes and there's also a Ms. Slimer in the movie too. Not joking, either.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
It was a Hollywood cash grab, which is what the majority of movies are these days. Most actors and actresses work in such endeavors and grin and bear the criticism that comes with them, knowing they got handsomely paid. To her--ignore the hate and laugh all the way to the bank. That's what the other participants are doing. You want to take on an icon, you are setting the bar high going in. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

To anyone getting racist or sexist or anything-ist about it--What the hell is wrong with you?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll