Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leslie Jones, under hateful barrage on Twitter, fights back
(07-20-2016, 11:47 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Wait, some guy got banned because of what other people said?

Now that's not right.

It's like inciting a riot.

Even if you don't flip a car or smash a window, you're just as accountable if you encourage it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-20-2016, 11:50 AM)Benton Wrote: It's like inciting a riot.

Even if you don't flip a car or smash a window, you're just as accountable if you encourage it.

Key words being "if you encourage it".
[Image: giphy.gif]
(07-20-2016, 11:51 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Key words being "if you encourage it".

It wasn't just what others said. He said some things as well and was not completely innocent. IMO, this was a case of "this is becoming a regular occurrence with you, you're done."
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-20-2016, 11:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Twitter is more than entitled to censor what they want.  That being said it is odd to me that these kind of things are, rightfully, censored but many tweets about the "pigs" deserving what they got after Dallas and Baton Rouge are not.  To me either be consistent with your censoring or don't censor at all.  Considering you can block or mute people at will I don't see the need for twitter to censor anyone except criminal organizations like Isis.

I get that. There is just a ton of hate on there and it is so ridiculous. I've seen so many public figures get pummeled with hate and leave Twitter. I've seen some extremely concerning stuff on there from people of all walks of life. It's one reason why I am so selective with who I follow on my main account because I really just don't want to see that. It's pretty insane.

(07-20-2016, 11:43 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I find myself conflicted. On the one hand, I liked Jones in GB2016. She was, IMO, the funniest of the 4. I understand the hate the movie got. I can't say it's completely unfounded, HOWEVER, that's no excuse to harass the actors/actresses that took part unless it was their fault the movie bombed. I mean, it'd be like digitally crucifying the guy that played Jar Jar Binks for the prequel trilogy when the guy that's to blame is George effing Lucas!

On the other hand, this is the internet. You should know that if you participate in anything online, you're opening yourself up to trolls and the more famous you are, the more likely to be harassed you are (and not all of it will be negative harassment). If you can't handle that, then stay away from the internet.

With that said, Twitter should have in place, SOME form of effective anti-harassment procedure, where if a user is bombarded by thousands/millions of negative and derogatory messages, there is a way to block/report them all quickly and easily instead of doing it one-at-a-time.

This comes back to what I mentioned before, this was her first big movie. People in movies for a while have learned over time to ignore the hate because it is what it is. But she's still new to the game of Hollywood. It's just so unfortunate how this all played out.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The review was pretty bad. Unnecessarily sexist. I'm not sure if I believe that he went into it with an open mind considering most of the reviews I am seeing can be summed up as "It's ok. Not awful, not great".

His review certainly wasn't racist. His mention of race was that he believed they made Leslie Jones' character, Patty, too much of a racial caricature.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-20-2016, 12:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It wasn't just what others said. He said some things as well and was not completely innocent. IMO, this was a case of "this is becoming a regular occurrence with you, you're done."

I've looked up the "Twitter fight" (and I made sure to look at both pro-Jones and pro-Milo pages) and I have STILL yet to come across where Milo encouraged people to dump on Jones. Yes, he's made some derogatory comments towards Leslie (as she has towards him) but I've not seen any site share a tweet from Milo encouraging or asking his followers/fans to harass or bombard Jones' twitter account. Now, if he did, then, sure, he should be punished for doing so, but until I see such a tweet, then either ban BOTH (because the things both said were pretty nasty) or don't ban EITHER.
(07-20-2016, 12:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The review was pretty bad. Unnecessarily sexist. I'm not sure if I believe that he went into it with an open mind considering most of the reviews I am seeing can be summed up as "It's ok. Not awful, not great".

His review certainly wasn't racist. His mention of race was that he believed they made Leslie Jones' character, Patty, too much of a racial caricature.

Have to agree with you. 
(07-20-2016, 12:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I've looked up the "Twitter fight" (and I made sure to look at both pro-Jones and pro-Milo pages) and I have STILL yet to come across where Milo encouraged people to dump on Jones. Yes, he's made some derogatory comments towards Leslie (as she has towards him) but I've not seen any site share a tweet from Milo encouraging or asking his followers/fans to harass or bombard Jones' twitter account. Now, if he did, then, sure, he should be punished for doing so, but until I see such a tweet, then either ban BOTH (because the things both said were pretty nasty) or don't ban EITHER.

Oh, I'm aware there is nothing out there that he encouraged it, and both were pretty bad. As I said, though, I think Milo got the ban hammer because of being a repeat offender. Leslie, if she were to get anything, may have gotten a suspension. But likely because of her being brigaded and because she was the one to cry foul about it her account was untouched.

Though we may not see her on Twitter for a while, if at all, either way.

(07-20-2016, 12:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The review was pretty bad. Unnecessarily sexist. I'm not sure if I believe that he went into it with an open mind considering most of the reviews I am seeing can be summed up as "It's ok. Not awful, not great".

From what I understand, that's his shtick. It's like getting upset if Limbaugh calls you a commie liberal because you don't vote RINO, or if you're fuming because Michael Moore wants to levy a 99% tax on 1% of the population.

Not defending him or the review (haven't read it), but I don't think he goes into any movie with an open mind.
Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

People on twitter are idiots? Wow!!! What a surprise!!!

Maybe Leslie Jones needs to grow thicker skin or delete her twitter instead of feeding the trolls. Jimmy Kimmel has a whole segment dedicated to mean tweets celebrities receive. Mellow

P.s. The new ghostbusters blew chunks. Laughed 2 times during the entire movie, and one of those times was because of how bad the CGI looked.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(07-20-2016, 09:29 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: She got all butthurt because Milo trashed her film(he never said anything racist in his Breitbart review), and then she went after him on Twitter, he fought back, and then his followers went after her. In the end Milo got the Twitter ban hammer, because she's too thin skinned and cant take criticism. Twitter being the left leaning platform that it is took action on her behalf.

Read Milos review for yourself and tell me where he's being racist. He always takes his shots at feminists but he never says anything remotely racist in it.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/18/milo-reviews-ghostbusters/

1) That site is awful to try and read.

2) The review itself seems like he's trolling.  Either that of he's a complete dbag.  Given the site it's hard to tell the difference.

Quote: Abigail is repellant and fat. Holtzmann is a clownish, lip-syncing drag queen. Erin is a forgettable, low-rent Jennifer Aniston clone. Patty is a two dimensional racist stereotype by even the most forgiving measure.

Patty is the worst of the lot. The actress is spectacularly unappealing, even relative to the rest of the odious cast. But it’s her flat-as-a-pancake black stylings that ought to have irritated the SJWs. I don’t get offended by such things, but they should.

Ghostbusters
, the film acting as standard bearer for the social justice left, is full of female characters that are simply stand-ins for men plus a black character worthy of a minstrel show. Remember, the original film not only represented women well, but also had Winston
Zeddemore, the character with his feet most firmly on the ground in the entire movie.

Ghostbusters
 is afraid to acknowledge the shortcomings of any of its female characters, perhaps fearing the wrath of their target audience, which, after all, is never satisfied. (Literally. Which is perhaps why Sony did a deal with Hostess to sell Ghostbusters-branded Twinkies.)

I want to see the movie now just to make all his, well, whatever that was he typed, even more worthless.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-20-2016, 12:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: 1) That site is awful to try and read.

2) The review itself seems like he's trolling.  Either that of he's a complete dbag.  Given the site it's hard to tell the difference.

I want to see the movie now just to make all his, well, whatever that was he typed, even more worthless.

Hes trolling. Its what he does best. He loves to get femnazi's all riled up.

But the whole point is that Leslie put him on Twitter blast for being racist, which in no way is he considering he's a gay dude who only sleeps with/dates black dudes.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
(07-20-2016, 01:25 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Hes trolling. Its what he does best. He loves to get femnazi's all riled up.

But the whole point is that Leslie put him on Twitter blast for being racist, which in no way is he considering he's a gay dude who only sleeps with/dates black dudes.

And the things she said about gay people were bad as well. I'm very surprised she got away with that.

Anyways, it's old news now. She swears her account was hacked etc, Milo was banned 10 minutes before his speech at the RNC convention (purely coincidental?).
(07-20-2016, 09:29 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: She got all butthurt because Milo trashed her film(he never said anything racist in his Breitbart review), and then she went after him on Twitter, he fought back, and then his followers went after her. In the end Milo got the Twitter ban hammer, because she's too thin skinned and cant take criticism. Twitter being the left leaning platform that it is took action on her behalf.

Read Milos review for yourself and tell me where he's being racist. He always takes his shots at feminists but he never says anything remotely racist in it.

Did I just witness a vagina hate crime?  After reading that review, first thing I thought was, "That dude has GOT to be gay. Because any guy would have to be gay to hate every actor with a vagina that much."

So I Googled him and sure enough. 

The only thing he liked was Chris Hemsworth. Imagine that. A gay guy effusively praising Chris Hemsworth's every scene while complaining about every actor with a vagina . . . and stereotypes. LMAO
(07-20-2016, 02:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did I just witness a vagina hate crime?  After reading that review, first thing I thought was, "That dude has GOT to be gay. Because any guy would have to be gay to hate every actor with a vagina that much."

So I Googled him and sure enough. 

The only thing he liked was Chris Hemsworth. Imagine that. A gay guy effusively praising Chris Hemsworth's every scene while complaining about every actor with a vagina . . . and stereotypes. LMAO

He's a gay super conservative who calls Trump "daddy". He's the rights mythical unicorn to try and garner some votes from the LGBT community. Shutting him down on Twitter 10 minutes before he was to do his thing at the RNC. You cant call that a coincidence.

I don't see how him being gay is an issue.

I seen the movie, and its terrible, no wonder why Bill Murray wanted no part in it.

Im sure a majority of African American females who watched it thought Leslie Jones gave an Oscar worthy performance. People are entitled to their opinions. However silencing someone because of them is just wrong.

He did take jabs at the actresses in it, but overall I'd say he was bashing the writers/directer/producers more than anything. And to be honest I agree with quite a bit of what he said. Once I heard that queef joke in the first 10 minutes, the tone of 'this move is going to suck' set in from that moment on. Any open mindness I had was lost just on that and I am regretting they made money off of me by whoring out a classic movie brand of the past.

That said, Jones didnt deserve the tweeter hate she got either. That hate should go to the amateur writers who wrote it for the teenage girl crowd.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-20-2016, 02:37 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He did take jabs at the actresses in it, but overall I'd say he was bashing the writers/directer/producers more than anything. And to be honest I agree with quite a bit of what he said. Once I heard that queef joke in the first 10 minutes, the tone of 'this move is going to suck' set in from that moment on. Any open mindness I had was lost just on that and I am regretting they made money off of me by whoring out a classic movie brand of the past.

That said, Jones didnt deserve the tweeter hate she got either. That hate should go to the amateur writers who wrote it for the teenage girl crowd.

She portrayed a campy "New York Black Female", which is pretty insulting if this is a movie that was written with female empowerment undertones. He pointed that out, and got hate for it.

He never once targeted her in any tweets, or called upon his followers to go after her, but yet he got banned.

Listen if your a celebrity who cant develop a thick skin, or know how to locate the block button, then maybe Twitter isn't the place for you. Twitter is a place where degenerates can act like asses freely.
(07-20-2016, 02:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: He's a gay super conservative who calls Trump "daddy". He's the rights mythical unicorn to try and garner some votes from the LGBT community. Shutting him down on Twitter 10 minutes before he was to do his thing at the RNC. You cant call that a coincidence.

I don't see how him being gay is an issue.

I seen the movie, and its terrible, no wonder why Bill Murray wanted no part in it.

Im sure a majority of African American females who watched it thought Leslie Jones gave an Oscar worthy performance. People are entitled to their opinions. However silencing someone because of them is just wrong.

Him being gay isn't an issue. I wrote I thought he was gay because hated every actor with a vagina. Okay, hate might be too strong a word. He is definitely vagina averse. Or vaginally challenged. Which ever you prefer. 

This place has rules and if you break them often enough you will be banned, usually after several suspensions. Was Milo silenced for his opinions or for repeatedly breaking the rules?  I don't know. I'm not sure I even care in this case. People have a right to free speech. People don't have a right to Twitter. If he wants to continue to troll Twitter can't silence him at Breitbart. 
I met a gay conservative once. Didn't know there was another.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

He is a troll. Everyone knows that but some people just don't care.

It is sad how many people LOVE trolls. They think it is cool to be an asshole. What the hell is wrong with people today?