Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lessons learned?
While I've never hated the Marvin era of the Bengals, I find it immensely frustrating this organization needs to learn every lesson... Sometimes more than once.

With that in mind, I've tried to think about the teachable moments/lessons from this season... (I just can't live in the post-loss rage. It eats me up, and that's just not healthy for me)

Andy Dalton: I've got two lessons I hope Andy has learned this season. 1. All of that hard work you put in this offseason paid off. You can't let off the gas, though. You have to work at least as hard this off season. Tom House needs to be in your life for the rest of your career... 2. No matter how bad you felt after your interception, you have to control yourself. Don't try to tackle anyone, EVER. You can't help the team if you can't play. Shrugging off the last mistake is something you do well. Living to see the next play is something you have to learn.

Vontaze Burfict: 1. You have to keep your head for 60 minutes... 2. The refs will never give you the benefit of the doubt, because you haven't shown you deserve it. You need to step back 6 inches from the line of dirty play. Playing right on the line doesn't work. 3. Stop arguing your point with the refs. You can't win, and can only make things worse.

Adam Jones (and the rest of the team): Don't engage. Walk away. When you play football, you win. When you talk, confront, and retaliate, bad things happen EVERY TIME.

Jeremy Hill: Your position requires a level of focus you lacked this year, and it burned you at critical moments. It wasn't just one play.

That loss was epic. It can either eat you up, or fuel your drive for redemption. What's it gonna be?
Reply/Quote
Exceptional post that contains much wisdom, kudos sir
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't really disagree with any of this.

I don't know what conversations the coaches are having with the players, but I would hope that for the most part is it this.

Especially Hill.

For me, I would use the footage of the fumble to illustrate 2 things to him.

1. Run like this EVERY play you get the ball. Sure he fumbled, but there is no denying that he was decisive and aggressive. He ran hard and fought for yards. If the game is not on the line, I would have 0 problems with him running like this. He runs like this every time, and our run game will be through the roof. Especially when Dalton is back in the line up.

2. Focus and be mindful of the situation. less than 2 minutes to play we are up by 1 score, that is not the time to run with the ball in one arm and only have one hand on it. Cradle it and protect it. Keep it secure. It is better to only get 3 yards on 1st down, 3 yards on 2nd down and only 3 yards on 3rd down and end the play with a kick, than to try for any heroics. Getting the 5 yards were great, but you have to know to hit the ground quickly to eliminate the other team from even having a chance for a fumble.

That is what a good coach would do with him. No matter how we fans feel right now, it is important that a good coach, talk to him and let him know that if he remembers what he is being told and has a performance year next year then we fans will be quick to forgive him.

I would use Dalton as an example. For Dalton years 2, 3 and 4, he was questioned and even loathed by the fans. However, he had a performance year and everyone embraced him. So next season if Hill responds well and Dalton continues to improve and plays at this same level, then boy oh boy, do we have a great offense.
Reply/Quote