Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let’s Talk Defense
The Cincinnati defense tackled beautifully today. I saw players out of position but those in position made nice form tackles, especially Nick Vigil. I didn’t see any of those missed tackles where a Cincinnati defensive player launches themselves at a player’s ankles and misses. Those drove me totes cray cray!

Teryl Austin also emphasized creating turnovers and this happened in a big way against the Colts. It’s hard to intercept a pass by Andrew Luck but Preston Brown did it expertly and what can I say about Clayton Fejedelem? He is a playmaker and a lot faster than I thought.

Okay, the pass rush wasn’t there except the occasional Carlos Dunlap sighting. This needs work badly but even if the defensive line could have gotten through, Andrew Luck got the ball out too fast. It’s the same reason why it’s so hard to sack Andy Dalton. Joe Flacco gets the ball out fast as well so pressuring him isn’t so easy either.

The Bengals’ run defense wasn’t bad at all — but against Baltimore it will have to be like an immovable wall.

Don’t worry about letting Andrew Luck complete the quick slants, etc. Teryl Austin had the Bengals’ safeties playing one- or two-deep to prevent Luck from going over the top.

All the ingredients for a shutdown defense are there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was disappointed in the pass rush but other than that I was okay. They tore us apart in the middle though.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense tackled beautifully today.  I saw players out of position but those in position made nice form tackles, especially Nick Vigil.  I didn’t see any of those missed tackles where a Cincinnati defensive player launches themselves at a player’s ankles and misses.  Those drove me totes cray cray!  

Teryl Austin also emphasized creating turnovers and this happened in a big way against the Colts.  It’s hard to intercept a pass by Andrew Luck but Preston Brown did it expertly and what can I say about Clayton Fejedelem?  He is a playmaker and a lot faster than I thought.  

Okay, the pass rush wasn’t there except the occasional Carlos Dunlap sighting.  This needs work badly but even if the defensive line could have gotten through, Andrew Luck got the ball out too fast.  It’s the same reason why it’s so hard to sack Andy Dalton.  Joe Flacco gets the ball out fast as well so pressuring him isn’t so easy either.

The Bengals’ run defense wasn’t bad at all — but against Baltimore it will have to be like an immovable wall.

Don’t worry about letting Andrew Luck complete the quick slants, etc.  Teryl Austin had the Bengals’ safeties playing one- or two-deep to prevent Luck from going over the top.

All the ingredients for a shutdown defense are there.
Vigil was impressive all day. Luck through 53 passes to get over 300 yards, around 6 yards an attempt. Dalton completed 75% of his passes for 243 yard or around 8 yards a attempt. My point is you are correct, they let them throw 5 and 6 yard completions to make sure nothing went top. I recall the long TD to Ebron where Evans dropped coverage, but they kept fast receivers in front of them and then tackled well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We did have 2 sacks and Luck took some hits so wouldn’t say I’m disappointed in our pash rush. More just surprised the Colts Oline did as well as they did. But like you say, Luck was getting the ball out quickly. I don’t think they took a deep shot all game.

Reply/Quote
11/17 on third down was the big negative for them today. True. They were short passes... but 1st downs nonetheless.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:22 PM)Goalpost Wrote: 11/17 on third down was the big negative for them today.  True.  They were short passes... but 1st downs nonetheless.

No doubt, a lesser team does not overcame a stat like that one.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Some questionable roughing the passer calls kept drives going as well. I think they were fine letting Luck work underneath and Luck did it well. I mentioned in another thread the Colts kind of hinted during preseason based on Lucks average attempt depth that this dunk and dunk offense would be their new approach. Problem with it is when you have a really smart QB who can change the play it’s tough to stop.
Reply/Quote
MJ had quite a few snaps at DE today. MJ had very little pressure from DE. Don't know why they insist on playing him there ?
Reply/Quote
I can think of 55 reasons we'll only get better. Just hang in there for 3 more weeks
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
These refs were so bad, it seemed like they were making up the rules as they went.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:12 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: I was disappointed in the pass rush but other than that I was okay. They tore us apart in the middle though.

Pass rush was fine in the second half. First half was a bit rough.

(09-09-2018, 09:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We did have 2 sacks and Luck took some hits so wouldn’t say I’m disappointed in our pash rush. More just surprised the Colts Oline did as well as they did. But like you say, Luck was getting the ball out quickly. I don’t think they took a deep shot all game.

Bingo. I'd consider the Ebron TD the only deep shot.

(09-09-2018, 09:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: MJ had quite a few snaps at DE today. MJ had very little pressure from DE. Don't know why they insist on playing him there ?

Said that too; he was out there too much, but at least Lawson and Willis ad a good amount of snaps.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 10:00 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: These refs were so bad, it seemed like they were making up the rules as they went.

We got the benefit of a few calls as well today. The OPI on Hilton was bogus and we had a drive stay alive from 2 penalties. The only ones that really hurt us were the Dunlap penalties. One he has to be smarter on given the way the game has been officiated over the past few years and the other where he sneezed on Lucks legs was absolute crap. The only other one that was real bad was the Jackson call when Hilton scored the TD. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 10:24 PM)Sweetness Wrote: We got the benefit of a few calls as well today. The OPI on Hilton was bogus and we had a drive stay alive from 2 penalties. The only ones that really hurt us were the Dunlap penalties. One he has to be smarter on given the way the game has been officiated over the past few years and the other where he sneezed on Lucks legs was absolute crap. The only other one that was real bad was the Jackson call when Hilton scored the TD. 

Absolutely not.

Sick of these receivers getting away with stiff-arming CBs and getting away with it; Dre was step for step, then he got stiff-armed and all of a sudden, Hilton is 5 yards open.

I don't think people have a grasp on physics.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Our LBers are the weakest link on defense, we need to drop a safety down to help or simply play with 3 safeties on passing downs.

Why Hardy Nickerson was in on 3rd and long at the end of the game has me scratching my head.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 10:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Absolutely not.

Sick of these receivers getting away with stiff-arming CBs and getting away with it; Dre was step for step, then he got stiff-armed and all of a sudden, Hilton is 5 yards open.

I don't think people have a grasp on physics.

As you said, receivers get away with this all of the time. AJ does this at the top of pretty much every route or cut and it almost never gets all. It was a crap call. If we're going to cry about how maligned the Bengals are by the refs every single week every single year at least be fair when a call goes our way  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 10:32 PM)corpjet Wrote: Our LBers are the weakest link on defense, we need to drop a safety down to help or simply play with 3 safeties on passing downs.

Why Hardy Nickerson was in on 3rd and long at the end of the game has me scratching my head.

Weren't they running hurry up offense? May not have been able to sub him out. Agreed though, our LBs arent good on passing downs. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 10:24 PM)Sweetness Wrote: We got the benefit of a few calls as well today. The OPI on Hilton was bogus and we had a drive stay alive from 2 penalties. The only ones that really hurt us were the Dunlap penalties. One he has to be smarter on given the way the game has been officiated over the past few years and the other where he sneezed on Lucks legs was absolute crap. The only other one that was real bad was the Jackson call when Hilton scored the TD. 

He has to be smarter ?

He didn't go low, he didn't give him a blow to the head, it wasn't helmet to helmet, he didn't pile drive him.

It was a textbook tackle followed by a BS flag. Even NFL peeps are saying it was BS
Reply/Quote
Luck threw 50+ times for a little over 300 yds. Most of which were 6-8 yd completions at a time with quick hit passes which rendered the pass rush ineffective for the most part. Luck took 1-2 big shots downfield and we were letting them have the small stuff banking on some incompletions to halt drives. We never really unleashed an all out consistent pass rush probably because they didn't know what to expect from Luck so they gave some cushion and decided to bend but not break on the road. I would expect a more aggressive Defense Thursday against Flacco.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can think of 55 reasons we'll only get better. Just hang in there for 3 more weeks

If Mixon can run behind this line, then the sky's the limit.  No matter what you think about the mental mistakes (AJ), there's no doubt that this offense can move the ball.  If they clean a couple of things up and the new line gels, then watch out.  

Also, you have to love Andy spreading the ball to all of his receivers.  

It's still a work in progress, but the team as a whole is trending up for sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 10:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He has to be smarter ?

He didn't go low, he didn't give him a blow to the head, it wasn't helmet to helmet, he didn't pile drive him.

It was a textbook tackle followed by a BS flag. Even NFL peeps are saying it was BS

I'm not disagreeing with you but you cant even give the refs a chance to make that call. And "NFL peeps" = Bengals plays. That doesnt count lol
Reply/Quote