Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let me propose a scenario...
Mods, please move this if this is not the appropriate forum for this. And granted this is premature, as the Zac Taylor thing is a rumor for now. But let me throw out this idea.

Zac Taylor's brother is currently the QB in Philly. They just won the Super Bowl last year with Nick Foles, and they are once again in the playoffs with Nick Foles. If Foles takes them deeper into the playoffs, hell if he takes them to the Super Bowl again, conversations are going to be had in Philly. Because this would be the second year in a row where their star QB got hurt going into the playoffs and yet they've still managed to have post-season success with their backup. I might be off base here, but if Foles continues to succeed, I have to wonder if the folks in Philly start asking the question - Wentz or Foles?

Let's assume they decide to ride on with their 1st round pick. Foles is expected to be a free agent after this season anyway. You know he and his agent will be looking to land him a starting gig somewhere.

So here's my proposition.

- Trade Dalton to a QB needy team for some draft picks. It's a weak draft class, and Dalton is proven. Someone will bite.
- Poach Taylor's brother from Philly.
- Sign Foles.

I look at it this way.

- After the Cousins deal, I do think we could get a decent haul from Dalton. Trading him now gives you more draft picks to continue solidifying this team and improving holes. And it avoids us having to ask the awkward question in two years when Dalton's contract is up and he's wanting a Kirk Cousins type contract.
- You have a QB that isn't too dissimilar to Dalton, but that has post-season success. He provides stability for the next couple of years. You can then re-evaluate the position in a few years if he can't get the job done here.

This is, of course, assuming Foles and his agent don't ask for a crazy salary.

Thoughts?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think everything is on the table at this point.

I think Philly may actually trade Wentz.

Foles has been fairly bad as a starter everywhere but Philly for some reason. Maybe he's just matured as a QB. I don't know.
Reply/Quote
I'll also say, I think there's a decent chance the Bengals draft and develop a QB at #11. Maybe Dalton is QB for another year.

The new school model seems to be getting a young QB on a rookie deal and building a team that way. Paying a QB $20 million crushes a salary cap.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Mods, please move this if this is not the appropriate forum for this.  And granted this is premature, as the Zac Taylor thing is a rumor for now.  But let me throw out this idea.

Zac Taylor's brother is currently the QB in Philly.  They just won the Super Bowl last year with Nick Foles, and they are once again in the playoffs with Nick Foles.  If Foles takes them deeper into the playoffs, hell if he takes them to the Super Bowl again, conversations are going to be had in Philly.  Because this would be the second year in a row where their star QB got hurt going into the playoffs and yet they've still managed to have post-season success with their backup.  I might be off base here, but if Foles continues to succeed, I have to wonder if the folks in Philly start asking the question - Wentz or Foles?

Let's assume they decide to ride on with their 1st round pick.  Foles is expected to be a free agent after this season anyway.  You know he and his agent will be looking to land him a starting gig somewhere.

So here's my proposition.

- Trade Dalton to a QB needy team for some draft picks.  It's a weak draft class, and Dalton is proven.  Someone will bite.
- Poach Taylor's brother from Philly.
- Sign Foles.

I look at it this way.

- After the Cousins deal, I do think we could get a decent haul from Dalton.  Trading him now gives you more draft picks to continue solidifying this team and improving holes.  And it avoids us having to ask the awkward question in two years when Dalton's contract is up and he's wanting a Kirk Cousins type contract.
- You have a QB that isn't too dissimilar to Dalton, but that has post-season success.  He provides stability for the next couple of years.  You can then re-evaluate the position in a few years if he can't get the job done here.

This is, of course, assuming Foles and his agent don't ask for a crazy salary.

Thoughts?

I think they could trade Dalton to the NY Giants or Jacksonville in a heartbeat but I do not know what they would give for Dalton.  

The Bengals in their current state have so many holes that I do not think one draft can fix.  But maybe in two drafts.  They still need an elite QB.  I don't know if Foles is elite but he seems to have the knack at winning tough games, something Dalton has not demonstrated enough.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll also say, I think there's a decent chance the Bengals draft and develop a QB at #11. Maybe Dalton is QB for another year.

The new school model seems to be getting a young QB on a rookie deal and building a team that way. Paying a QB $20 million crushes a salary cap.

With the rumored salary cap for next season, I think $20mil might be the ideal cost for bonafide starters.  Those $25-30mil ones will still kill teams though...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll also say, I think there's a decent chance the Bengals draft and develop a QB at #11. Maybe Dalton is QB for another year.

Seeing how this draft class isn't real deep in great QB's,  wonder what the chance of Haskins being there at 11 and the Bengals taking him?   If Taylor can polish him up he could be a great one some day.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:50 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: With the rumored salary cap for next season, I think $20mil might be the ideal cost for bonafide starters.  Those $25-30mil ones will still kill teams though...

But IF you could pay your starter $4 million for 4-5 years...then you have A LOT more to pay on other positions?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:51 PM)Goncrazzy Wrote: Seeing how this draft class isn't real deep in great QB's,  wonder what the chance of Haskins being there at 11 and the Bengals taking him?   If Taylor can polish him up he could be a great one some day.

Well, Murray entering helps A LOT. There's rumors Murray could go 1.

You know IF Haskins is there, the Bengals love OSU guys.

I think Drew Lock is a possibility too. Daniel Jones from Duke. All possibilities.
Reply/Quote
DO NOT waste a first round on Haskins it would be a horrible pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
If Dalton is traded anywhere its to Washington with Jay Gruden.

With that said I do think the Eagles would trade Went over Foles right now simply because of Wentzs injuries the last two season.s
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Really just want to see the team under new management for a year before we think about doing any of that.

Reply/Quote