Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Complain About Netflix
(06-05-2021, 02:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is one of the downsides to living in the instant gratification internet era. Back in the day, those 25 episodes would've been spread out and viewed once per week. Now people binge watch a series in a day or two.

Even if Netflix produced more episodes at a faster rate, they could never keep up with people eye guzzling 4-5 episodes per day. Tbh, I miss when TV was an event. When you planned for an episode of your favorite show, or movie night, or a TV special.

None of us would want to give up the comforts we're now used to, but I do feel like life was better before everything became so instantly accessible. Not to make this conversation super deep.

I actually had an interesting conversation with a younger coworker during the final season of Game of Thrones.  He said he was going to wait until the season was over so he could binge all of the episodes at once.  I told him I couldn't imagine waiting to watch when I know there's new episodes already available.  He explained that he can't watch episodes like that (once a week) because he'll forgot some of the plot.  I mean, that's his prerogative  but it left me scratching my head.

Fwiw, I just want Netflix to stick to a traditional release schedule.  Every year, at the same exact time, a new season drops.  I can live with less episodes but I can't live with less episodes and longer breaks between seasons.  If you look at their content output it's well less than 50% of Network.  Probably more like 25-40% the amount of episodes over multiple years.

Taking 2 years to release 8 episodes of Stranger Things is absurd.  Even more so when you consider that it's a show that revolves a round children and I think only a year or so has passed in the story but more than 5 years will have passed in the filming.  They're going to have to make these kids High School seniors for season 4.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 11:57 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I have some bad news for you.... Mindhunter is essentially done with.  The guy who runs it (David Fincher???) decided he wanted to do other projects so they released all of the actors from their contracts.  Why they didn't just get another showrunner is beyond me.

I suppose it could come back years down the line but it sounds like that's not very liklely.  Which is absolute BS because they did all the setup for the BTK Killer.  It sucks, was one of my favorite shows.

PS I really want to be excited for Dexter but I'm cautiously optimistic.  That last season was so damn bad.

Shit...didnt hear about Mindhunter. It would be nice to get some sort of comittment on these shows to at least tie up loose ends. I was looking forward to the BTK killer stuff. 
As for Dexter, I heard the sister Deb was going to play the role of the dad in the previous episodes...providing a sounding board from the dead...the thing is its been so long I cant recall that she died???  
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 11:57 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I have some bad news for you.... Mindhunter is essentially done with.  The guy who runs it (David Fincher???) decided he wanted to do other projects so they released all of the actors from their contracts.  Why they didn't just get another showrunner is beyond me.

I suppose it could come back years down the line but it sounds like that's not very liklely.  Which is absolute BS because they did all the setup for the BTK Killer.  It sucks, was one of my favorite shows.

PS I really want to be excited for Dexter but I'm cautiously optimistic.  That last season was so damn bad.

They’re making a new Dexter?

I’d say the space between seasons is on purpose. Networks don’t get paid if they don’t have new seasons every year. Netflix probably does a balancing act of keeping their current subscribers, getting new ones, and paying for new seasons. It’s probably why they cancel shows so quickly. They figure that show has attracted all the new subscribers it can so it’s time to move on.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 11:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: They’re making a new Dexter?

I’d say the space between seasons is on purpose. Networks don’t get paid if they don’t have new seasons every year. Netflix probably does a balancing act of keeping their current subscribers, getting new ones, and paying for new seasons. It’s probably why they cancel shows so quickly. They figure that show has attracted all the new subscribers it can so it’s time to move on.

Yeah, it's supposedly coming out later this year.  I'm hoping they come up with a really cool villian that brings Dexter out of retirement.

On the Netflix stuff, I think you're totally right.  It's pretty clear they've been focusing heavily on attracting new customers for a long time now.  That's why there's that joke that they'll produce anything.  They'll put money into all sorts of things hoping to land the next big hit that will lure in more people.

I think they're making a mistake at this point though.  They cancel so many shows, and wait so long to produce seasosns that I think they'll be losing more existing customers than they'll be gaining new ones.

Fwiw, I'm one of them.  I've had Netflix since it was just DVD only, so probably around 15 years.  I've had this entire time without a lapse.  I finally canceled it last month.  I'll just add it a for a month a time a couple of times of year to catch up on what I need to do.  There's no reason for me to pay for 12 months when I get about a two months worth of content out of it.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 12:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I actually had an interesting conversation with a younger coworker during the final season of Game of Thrones.  He said he was going to wait until the season was over so he could binge all of the episodes at once.  I told him I couldn't imagine waiting to watch when I know there's new episodes already available.  He explained that he can't watch episodes like that (once a week) because he'll forgot some of the plot.  I mean, that's his prerogative  but it left me scratching my head.

Fwiw, I just want Netflix to stick to a traditional release schedule.  Every year, at the same exact time, a new season drops.  I can live with less episodes but I can't live with less episodes and longer breaks between seasons.  If you look at their content output it's well less than 50% of Network.  Probably more like 25-40% the amount of episodes over multiple years.

Taking 2 years to release 8 episodes of Stranger Things is absurd.  Even more so when you consider that it's a show that revolves a round children and I think only a year or so has passed in the story but more than 5 years will have passed in the filming.  They're going to have to make these kids High School seniors for season 4.

I feel ya. 8 episodes after that long is ridiculous. Not sure what the issue is with Stranger Things, but it seems like old school Hollywood would've been more consistent. Maybe the problem is that network TV feels more direct pressure to keep highly rated shows going, whereas Netflix only concern is subscriptions?

Is this an issue with Hulu as well? Or any other subscription services?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, it's supposedly coming out later this year.  I'm hoping they come up with a really cool villian that brings Dexter out of retirement.

On the Netflix stuff, I think you're totally right.  It's pretty clear they've been focusing heavily on attracting new customers for a long time now.  That's why there's that joke that they'll produce anything.  They'll put money into all sorts of things hoping to land the next big hit that will lure in more people.

I think they're making a mistake at this point though.  They cancel so many shows, and wait so long to produce seasosns that I think they'll be losing more existing customers than they'll be gaining new ones.

Fwiw, I'm one of them.  I've had Netflix since it was just DVD only, so probably around 15 years.  I've had this entire time without a lapse.  I finally canceled it last month.  I'll just add it a for a month a time a couple of times of year to catch up on what I need to do.  There's no reason for me to pay for 12 months when I get about a two months worth of content out of it.

looks like they are bringing back john lithgow  as the trinity killer.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 01:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: looks like they are bringing back john lithgow  as the trinity killer.

Well, I hope it's just as flashback, otherwise they're going to have retcon his death.  Dexter clearly killed him with a hammer.

He was my favorite character that Dexter went up against though.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 01:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, I hope it's just as flashback, otherwise they're going to have retcon his death.  Dexter clearly killed him with a hammer.

He was my favorite character that Dexter went up against though.

whatever they have to do to erase that horrible final season and series finale.. lol...  i cant remember a show having such a bad ending. (well other than GoTs but thats a whole other thing lol)
Reply/Quote