Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk Extensions
I think Mixon plays out his contract but shouldn't get another because of Higgins, Burrow, Chase.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they re-sign Von Bell and let Bates go.

Reader is a toss up if his age is creeping up there and we can't afford him. Maybe he gets one more contract if healthy.

They'll re-sign the linebackers and I think Awuzie as well. Not sure on Apple if there are better options but he's been pretty solid.

Re-sign Williams for LT. Boyd likely walks and Higgens, Burrow, Chase get deals.
Reply/Quote
Jonah is likely going to finish the year strong as the line plays better so 12 million for a starting LT even if he’s just an average one is a good price. I would like to hope our draft position won’t be that high so what’s really our avenue to signing a better guy?

But still, if one falls in the draft and we let Jonah go we could get a guy for 1/2 the price and if we’re lucky the same production.

I’d like us to trade for an extra pick in next draft. We’ve got ALOT of guys we will have to replace after Burrows deal.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Really try to extend Williams, Bell, Awuzie, Pratt and Wilson, but it's going to be tough.

While I'd rather keep Higgins over Boyd, I think it's more viable to extend Boyd. Higgins is Marvin Jones 2.0. He's going to take a monster deal to be a team's WR1. And with seeing some WR contracts thrown around this offseason, good for him. Guy deserves it.

(10-04-2022, 03:42 PM)Housh Wrote: Jonah is likely going to finish the year strong as the line plays better so 12 million for a starting LT even if he’s just an average one is a good price. I would like to hope our draft position won’t be that high so what’s really our avenue to signing a better guy?

But still, if one falls in the draft and we let Jonah go we could get a guy for 1/2 the price and if we’re lucky the same production.

I’d like us to trade for an extra pick in next draft. We’ve got ALOT of guys we will have to replace after Burrows deal.

After trying something like that with Obueghi and Fisher I think we stay with the one in the hand when it comes to O-Line.
Reply/Quote
Bates and Mixon need to go. That could pay for Tee. That’s all I have. If you don’t have a guy like Tee to take advantage of the attention paid to Chase then you’ve lost both receivers.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
With Chase and Higgins, the Bengals don’t need to be looking for that flashy receiver to replace Tyler. He doesn’t have to be the fastest or the tallest. He needs to run perfect routes, be where he is supposed to be and catch everything. I would be scouring every college for the perfect fit. If you find him, you may not need to use a second round pick on him. To paraphrase Herb Brooks, at least from the movie, you don’t need the best player. You need the right player.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 10:37 AM)pally Wrote: The biggest kicker is Joe Burrow's contract.  They can start renegotiating with him this off-season.  How much and how they pay his new contract will dictate much of what happens with everyone else.  

That means we worry about 2024 after 2023, though knowing the Bengal's front office they have a plan.

Jonah still hasn't proven he is THE answer at LT so don't do anything with him yet.

The WR conumdrum is the biggest what-if out there.  I don't think the Bengals will pay Tee Higgens what he will get as a number 1 receiver on another team.  His agent will demand a huge signing bonus the Bengals won't do but some other team will.  You resign a healthy still producing Tyler Boyd if possible.  He hasn't had the injuries that shorten a WR's career

Jessie Bates is gone.  You re-sign Bell and probably Apple (another 1 year deal).  Right now I would say absolutely re-sign Chido but for a DB 1 3/4 seasons is a long time so you re-evaluate closer to contract time

Germaine Pratt has earned a 2nd contract but LB is one of our deepest room so don't overpay him

The biggest no-brainer on there is  2024 re-signing Logan Wilson

DJ Reader has earned another contract if he can be afforded.  Availability is his biggest issue but when he plays he is an All-Pro.  We get a chance to see how the team plays without him over the next 4-6 weeks.

3 of our 4 TEs are free agents in 2023.  It is also one of the deepest TE drafts in years.  Give Hurst a full season to see what he does.  He is the one player I see giving a home team discount if his career can be revived here.  Drew Sample is expendable but he fits the role he plays in this offense so I would bet he gets a 2nd contract.

I don't see that for couple reasons.  he is not going to get the targets in this offense to really justify paying him much more than he is making but starting all year will help his value to sign with another team plus if we make it to playoffs and win 1 to 2 games, his status just as CJ's will probably go up and he will be offered a bit more $$  and possible multi year contract with hopes of  more targets and will leave as he should
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 09:02 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Bates and Mixon need to go. That could pay for Tee. That’s all I have.  If you don’t have a guy like Tee to take advantage of the attention paid to Chase then you’ve lost both receivers.

I do agree a top end  2nd will help your 1 but history has shown great WRs can still play at a high level with a avg #2,  look what AJ did with Bengals and no way he had a Higgins type across ever.  Look what Adams did with Rodgers and had little help there also. 

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 10:22 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I do agree a top end  2nd will help your 1 but history has shown great WRs can still play at a high level with a avg #2,  look what AJ did with Bengals and no way he had a Higgins type across ever.  Look what Adams did with Rodgers and had little help there also. 

Marvin Jones was pretty nice in 2015... Wasn't a slouch in 2013 either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 10:26 PM)jason Wrote: Marvin Jones was pretty nice in 2015... Wasn't a slouch in 2013 either.

And we had an elite pass catching TE in 2015. It wasn’t just the AJ show.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 10:22 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I do agree a top end  2nd will help your 1 but history has shown great WRs can still play at a high level with a avg #2,  look what AJ did with Bengals and no way he had a Higgins type across ever.  Look what Adams did with Rodgers and had little help there also. 

They also need to do a better job of getting Chase the ball however they can and let him do his thing. Slants and crossing patterns etc.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 10:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They also need to do a better job of getting Chase the ball however they can and let him do his thing. Slants and crossing patterns etc.

This... I'm tired of hearing the double team excuse. We weren't trying to limit Tyreek Hill on Thursday night? They need to figure it out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 11:30 PM)jason Wrote: This... I'm tired of hearing the double team excuse. We weren't trying to limit Tyreek Hill on Thursday night? They need to figure it out.

Imo when you have a guy like Chase whose RAC ability may be the best in the league, and you can’t get him 10+ targets a game, that’s crazy to me.

Idc if i gotta call a damn run play to you, you are going to get your touches.

We did this a lot last year too. I have to imagine it’s Burrow and not Zac but coaches are idiots sometimes.

You remember that Texans playoff game where after the game the coach came out and said the gameplan was to use AJ Green as a decoy?

To me that was the dumbest s*** Iv ever heard a coach say.

So you PURPOSELY gameplanned against AJ touching the ball…..

There’s overthinking then there’s just being a bad coach
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 10:26 PM)jason Wrote: Marvin Jones was pretty nice in 2015... Wasn't a slouch in 2013 either.

again over his majority of career, he had little help on the other side.  Higgins is getting ready to put together 3 seasons that im sure tops Jones in all three probably.

A great WR can overcome with a average /good WR on other side. 
Reply/Quote
We have 18 unrestricted free agents next year
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cincinnati-bengals/

I think we need to focus on what the team will look like in 2023 so the guys whose contracts are up after 2024 are going to have to wait.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 09:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: With Chase and Higgins, the Bengals don’t need to be looking for that flashy receiver to replace Tyler. He doesn’t have to be the fastest or the tallest.  He needs to run perfect routes, be where he is supposed to be and catch everything. I would be scouring every college for the perfect fit. If you find him, you may not need to use a second round pick  on him.  To paraphrase Herb Brooks, at least from the movie, you don’t need the best player. You need the right player.

Personally, unless Mixon blows it up the rest of the season, with the way he has played so far, I can't justify extending him. Running backs have a short shelf-life.

I hope he does have a huge rest of the season because (1) we need him to be better and (2), at worst, he'll be auditioning for another team. This season might be his last chance to put together a season that will make a team want to offer him a good or even a decent contract. Teams need to know that he still has it.

I think we definitely need Higgins. Boyd would be nice to have but not as important as Higgins. 

I just hope they realize that we need to have enough money available to sign free agent linemen because Burrow can win games by himself but he can't win them on his back and it would shorten his career if he keeps taking these kind of beatings. I realize the last two games have been better but we can't have games like the first two, especially since Burrow was still avoiding pressure in the last two.

Hoping Bates comes back without breaking the bank but it will be tough, especially if we make another deep playoff run, but that might be the same for a few other guys, too.
Reply/Quote