Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk Linebackers
Let's talk about what we see at the combine and who looks good.  I will update this thread as we go, but to start it off... Darron Lee Runs a 4.47.  Who do you think will stand out in this group.  How many line backers do you see us drafting this year ?

Update 1 -  

Ragland doesn't really stand out to me.  I think our team needs a speedy line backer to compliment our starters.  Think he will be drafted more as a ILB for a 4-3 team and really doesn't fit the need of our team.

Deion Jones looks very athletic and could really physically develop into something special.

Darron Lee looks like the best Linebacker at the combine so far

** Jaylon Smith would be a perfect fit for the team for a 3rd or 4th round pick.  We can sit on the guy for a year and half to heal up because of the depth on this team.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I see us taking one LB in this draft. Think we'll bring back Vinny, and have our 3 starters coming back plus Dawson makes 5. That leaves room for one more (maybe two if we keep 7, but even with burfict's suspension i doubt we do because they seem comfortable going light at LB the last few years).

Then we have undrafted guys and I think Flowers if healthy to compete with the draft pick for the last spot or two. Also wouldn't be shocked to see lamur back on a cheap deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree I think rey comes back for rotation and what he does on special teams. Flowers has looked good.

Reply/Quote
Lee would be a great player to have in today's NFL with his coverage ability and athleticism.

Shame jaylon's injury appears to be even worse than first thought, but I'd still spend a pick on him later in the draft (probably the only way I'd take two LB's is if he is one of them and red shirts the year)

Looks like Scooby didn't run too well, I really like his tape tho and would love to grab him if he starts to slide

We really need someone like lee tho who can cover
Reply/Quote
Along with drafting a LBer would you take a flyer on James Laurinaitis?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 04:26 PM)Okeana Wrote: Let's talk about what we see at the combine and who looks good.  I will update this thread as we go, but to start it off... Darron Lee Runs a 4.47.  Who do you think will stand out in this group.  How many line backers do you see us drafting this year ?

Update 1 -  

Ragland doesn't really stand out to me.  I think our team needs a speedy line backer to compliment our starters.  Think he will be drafted more as a ILB for a 4-3 team and really doesn't fit the need of our team.

Deion Jones looks very athletic and could really physically develop into something special.

** Jaylon Smith would be a perfect fit for the team for a 3rd or 4th round pick.  We can sit on the guy for a year and half to heal up because of the depth on this team.

I like Jones and Lee and if he falls grab Smith, if the nerve damage isn't severe let him sit the year.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 05:38 PM)corpjet Wrote: Along with drafting a LBer would you take a flyer on James Laurinaitis?

I think if we go after a free agent Linebacker we need to go younger with a guy like Mark Barron.  Laurinaitis I tihnk will cost to much for his aging value regardless of the fact he's a good player.  We have two veteran starters now one of which is considered to be a top 3 guy.  We don't need a veteran presence we need a fast Linebacker who can play opposite Burfict.  

Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of Scooby wright
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Smith may be done.....I don't spend anything on him.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 04:26 PM)Okeana Wrote: Let's talk about what we see at the combine and who looks good.  I will update this thread as we go, but to start it off... Darron Lee Runs a 4.47.  Who do you think will stand out in this group.  How many line backers do you see us drafting this year ?

Update 1 -  

Sucks about Jaylon, RRL says he might never play again. Like Lattimore.

Darron Lee or Deion Jones would be great for us. I agree that i don't really like Ragland for our teams needs.

We need an athletic LB'er not a thumper.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, if we're looking at LB in the first, I'm hoping for Darron Lee. With the news about Smith's knee and Lee looking good at the Combine, I'm guessing he won't be around at our pick, but I'd be thrilled if he was our pick. He is a lean player, but his ability to cover ground quickly would be a breath a fresh air here.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
We don't really need a LB and we probably won't get one unless someone falls in the later rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 06:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We don't really need a LB and we probably won't get one unless someone falls in the later rounds.

This team needs to stop ignoring LBs. I'm sure we'll have another undrafted darling this year, but we don't really have any athletic LBs. Burfict is able to cover some ground because he's agressive, but we basically have nothing more than a bunch of down hill thumpers.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 06:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We don't really need a LB and we probably won't get one unless someone falls in the later rounds.

Yeah, you're probably right.  We already have too many really fast defenders with catlike reflexes, that tackle people really well in the open field..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 06:22 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This team needs to stop ignoring LBs. I'm sure we'll have another undrafted darling this year, but we don't really have any athletic LBs. Burfict is able to cover some ground because he's agressive, but we basically have nothing more than a bunch of down hill thumpers.

We have one of the best LBs in the league. And a prototype thumping 4-3 MLB. We just drafted one early last year who was considered by some to be the best LB in the draft. 

If we want coverage ability we put another DB out there. If we get Nelson and Iloka back what do we do with Williams? He showed well last year. If we really want to be trendy with an undersized athletic LB who can cover there is the answer.

Why give up on a 3rd round pick after 1 year who we dont even know if he can play? If he turns out to be as good as what people thought he would be we have a solid starting 3. And 3 will be on the field only about 50% of the time. 

Kirk barely got on the field his first year. Neither did dennard. Neither did ogbuehi neither did fisher. That is SOP. 

We barely missed having the #1 scoring D in the league. So we can make it work with our "unathletic" LBs.
Reply/Quote
For whatever reason it appears the Bengals don't want they smaller LB. We had the perfect candidate in Taylor Mays and he did well for us when he was forced to play there; however, we didn't continue it and we haven't tried it since. We just remove the LB and put in the extra DB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 10:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For whatever reason it appears the Bengals don't want they smaller LB. We had the perfect candidate in Taylor Mays and he did well for us when he was forced to play there; however, we didn't continue it and we haven't tried it since. We just remove the LB and put in the extra DB.

????

He didn't really do well there.

He did decent in the beginning of the 2013 season, but that's it. He hasn't really done much since then either. Shame, too. He did have a ton of potential. He just never played up to it.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 10:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For whatever reason it appears the Bengals don't want they smaller LB. We had the perfect candidate in Taylor Mays and he did well for us when he was forced to play there; however, we didn't continue it and we haven't tried it since. We just remove the LB and put in the extra DB.

I think I've read Hobson write about Lewis wanting LB's in the 240+ range. Might be a bad taste from the like of Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller when we tried to go smaller and speedier and they just got hurt and couldn't stop the run.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 12:25 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think I've read Hobson write about Lewis wanting LB's in the 240+ range. Might be a bad taste from the like of Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller when we tried to go smaller and speedier and they just got hurt and couldn't stop the run.

So our best hope is to take a big, athletic LB. 

Reggie Ragland
Joshua Perry
BJ Goodsen
Joe Schobert
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 06:22 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This team needs to stop ignoring LBs. I'm sure we'll have another undrafted darling this year, but we don't really have any athletic LBs. Burfict is able to cover some ground because he's agressive, but we basically have nothing more than a bunch of down hill thumpers.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote