Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's discuss the 4th WR on the depth chart- upcoming season
(03-22-2022, 11:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would like to see a 4th WR drafted but in no way should it be in the first 2 rounds imo.

If they sign a vet corner, I could very easily see them draft WR in the 2nd round. Heck idk. They could do it either way. They have shown no hesitation in getting Burrow weapons when there are other needs. It worked so well with Chase and Higgins, I could easily see them doing it again.
Reply/Quote
Really in today's game you are talking about a 5th/6th WR when you consider how teams split out TE and keep a RB on the field to give them flexibility of splitting them out also. So what u end with is probably a WR that might get 1 to 2 catches a game, no way would I waste a 2 to 5 pick on that type of player even with a specials guy. We have more important positions of depth to fill.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:36 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: I'm all for BPA, and I understand the intrigue of adding to a strength, but I'd rather upgrade a more pressing need early on. With Chase, Higgins, and Boyd as your 1-3, the WR4 is the 4th option at best (really, 6th, with Mixon and Hurst in the mix), and when you have that may good weapons demanding coverage it's easier for the guys lower on the depth chart to produce.

Of the guys we have, I like Morgan for his blocking (in addition to special teams). He can certainly carve out a role, and I hope we can get him more involved on offense. I also like Taylor as a second slot in 4 wide sets, and also as a substitute for Boyd when he needs rest. He has really good, reliable hands, which also play well on punt returns. I'm perfectly fine sticking with him as our primary punt returner, I cannot overstate how nice it is to not have to worry about a muff. I hope we see him a little more on offense too. Mike Thomas is a solid role player but I can see him being a camp cut, who possibly becomes a veteran PS stash. Ditto with Trenton Irwin, who I think has a future coaching.

On to possible hidden gems, Makai Polk in the 7th is someone who I'd like. Could be our Auden Tate successor, not quite as big but still has good size. Polk didn't do much in college until breaking out in 2021 with over 1000 yards and 9 TD. Those are impressive numbers in the SEC. Projected as a 7th rounder or UDFA.
Plus how can you not like his confidence?
https://www.si.com/college/mississippistate/football/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-wide-receiver-makai-polk-mississippi-state-football

I understand, but if one of the top 3 gets injured, WR4 is now a starter.  The Bengals ran three WR sets approximately 77% of the time and passed roughly 60% of the time. This is a passing team.  If your LT1 gets injured, LT2 becomes a starter, not LT4. In my mind, WR4 is like a #2 at most other positions. But, the team has more pressing needs, but I think they could still make an upgrade with available FAs or take a flyer on later round WR in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I understand, but if one of the top 3 gets injured, WR4 is now a starter.  The Bengals ran three WR sets approximately 77% of the time and passed roughly 60% of the time. This is a passing team.  If your LT1 gets injured, LT2 becomes a starter, not LT4. In my mind, WR4 is like a #2 at most other positions. But, the team has more pressing needs, but I think they could still make an upgrade with available FAs or take a flyer on later round WR in the draft.

Didnt we resign Thomas?
Reply/Quote
Bengals need to add another boundary WR. The Bengals have a couple guys that might be able to step in and play the slot in Mike Thomas, Trent Taylor, and possibly but unlikely Stanley Morgan but the only backup they have on the boundary is Trenton Irwin.

....That is Scary.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 11:03 PM)Housh Wrote: A WR that returns kicks is the idea for the draft I believe

Dunno if they need one that returns kicks, as they already have Evans, Wilson, and Taylor.
PR is more of a need, as they really only have Taylor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:41 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If we get a WR in the draft I hope we get someone with elite speed. If Chase gets dinged up, it would be nice to have another receiver that can burn a defense. Neither Higgins nor Boyd have that top speed.

This ^ we probably will draft cb in the first DT in the second and hopefully Alec Pierce or a speed receiver in the 3rd because like you said if Chase gets dinged Lord forbidding then defense’s will play everything up close because they feel we can’t beat them over the top.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I understand, but if one of the top 3 gets injured, WR4 is now a starter.  The Bengals ran three WR sets approximately 77% of the time and passed roughly 60% of the time. This is a passing team.  If your LT1 gets injured, LT2 becomes a starter, not LT4. In my mind, WR4 is like a #2 at most other positions. But, the team has more pressing needs, but I think they could still make an upgrade with available FAs or take a flyer on later round WR in the draft.

I agree with your thought process above and will also add that it’s far more likely that at least 1 of our 3 starting WR’s get hurt than our one OT or one starter at any given spot. 4th WR and 4th CB are two very important spots on a team in a pass happy league. Apple proved that last year for CB. We got lucky we didn’t lose one of our top 3 WR for extended periods but we can’t count on that every year. Look at the Rams WR injuries last year. They were lucky a star like OBJ was available mid season and then they still lost him late too.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 08:57 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If they sign a vet corner, I could very easily see them draft WR in the 2nd round. Heck idk. They could do it either way. They have shown no hesitation in getting Burrow weapons when there are other needs. It worked so well with Chase and Higgins, I could easily see them doing it again.

I disagree, but we shall see.  

But don't think it happens in first two rounds though. If there is a WR so coveted that falls into the Bengals lap I would trade the pick for more pics. 

Bengals have had success in later rounds too with Sanu 3rd, Marvin Jones 5th, TJ Houshmanzadeh 7th round. So its not impossible to find talented WR's late. Especially these days when they are more NFL ready than ever. 

Just depends on how thee Bengals grade the players in draft and who they think will fall. 

But if you're correct, would hate to be that 2nd round WR coming to a Bengals team where he will get very few targets though. Probably had dreams of being a star until that hand was dealt to him.

Yet who knows, Bengals are in position to go BPA so it should be fun to watch. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I am not sure they are looking to do anything at WR until after the draft. Time will tell, but will a stud fall in the draft like Williams because he tore his ACL on January 1st? He went from #1 WR on the board to anywhere from 3 to 7.

If he is sitting there at #31, I would argue he is the BPA and our team needs to draft BPA every round in my opinion. If he is gone, there are also a couple of other solid #1 picks.

Higgins will demand a huge contract, but I am not sure if he is restricted FA or UFA after 3 years. If restricted, there are ways for us to keep him or make a team pay us high draft picks to steal him.

The good news is we still have cap money so we are in good position to draft BPA. I do wish we would go after Tretter to play center and move Karras to guard and back up center position. Then Carmen can work to beat out someone on the OL and also be a possible back up at tackle and guard.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure they are looking to do anything at WR until after the draft. Time will tell, but will a stud fall in the draft like Williams because he tore his ACL on January 1st? He went from #1 WR on the board to anywhere from 3 to 7.

If he is sitting there at #31, I would argue he is the BPA and our team needs to draft BPA every round in my opinion. If he is gone, there are also a couple of other solid #1 picks.

Higgins will demand a huge contract, but I am not sure if he is restricted FA or UFA after 3 years. If restricted, there are ways for us to keep him or make a team pay us high draft picks to steal him.

The good news is we still have cap money so we are in good position to draft BPA. I do wish we would go after Tretter to play center and move Karras to guard and back up center position. Then Carmen can work to beat out someone on the OL and also be a possible back up at tackle and guard.

Not to derail the thread, but Wilson>Williams even when both are 100%. That said if any of those top WR picks fall they should definitely be in strong consideration for our pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:24 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Not to derail the thread, but Wilson>Williams even when both are 100%. That said if any of those top WR picks fall they should definitely be in strong consideration for our pick.
You may be correct, but only their careers will tell us if one is better than the other.

Is 1 great?
Will both be great?

Or will neither be great?

My point is WR may not be out of the equation for #31 due to Higgins future contract. But, we got Higgins in round 2 so possible we can find another gem in round 2 or 3 also.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking the Packers and now the Chiefs, after the Hill trade, are two late round teams that intend on drafting WRs. If we're improving the WR depth, I'm not sure any talent at pick 31 is worth the pick. Maybe a second or third round WR?
Reply/Quote
Alec Peirce from UC fits what we want at Wr also Kyle Phillips. Don't be surprised if we're looking for a 3rd Wr come draft time.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think a position thats up for grabs is that 4th WR behind
Higgins Chase Boyd. As much as this offense  likes to run
Empty sets and single back sets , the 4th WR has a important role.
There will be times defenses simply will have Chase and Higgins under lock and key. Hayden Hurst is new to the
System favored by ZT. It may take him time to get acclaimated. Boyd will get his targets but this offense still needs to find consistant 4th WR

Heres what we know.
Trent Taylor. He came.up.Big with a huge 2pt conversion
At Arrowhead. ZT likes him. Seems to be a precise route runner.

Mike Thomas. Just resigned last week. Another WR ZT likes from.his days in L.A. Pretty decent hands. Has 1 TD
In 2 years going off memory.

Trenton Irwin. Practice squad WR in 2021

Scotty Washington. Good sized framed WR.

The Bengals didnt really pursue a WR in FA. Signs could
Point to the Bengals drafting a WR.
Boyd is signed through 2023 I think.
Higgins is a free agent after next season.
I can see the Bengals drafting a WR in RDs 2 to 7.
I think.that 4th WR spot is wide open.
Does anyone see the Bengals signing a FA WR at
A bargain price in the immediate future.
It wont happen but the thought of AJ Green returning
Is intriqing.  How about a Jarvis Landry...

I think we draft a speedster like Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin around the 3rd round.

I know Austin is smaller but he is a freak as far as a speedster and a returner and I think he could play in both the Slot and
on the outside. Alec Pierce is big and fast though and more of an outside Receiver. Velus Jones is another option in the Draft.

I don't know if we will add a guy in FA but Jarvis Landry would be fantastic to steal from the Stains and get production out of.

AJ isn't coming back I don't think either.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we draft a speedster like Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin around the 3rd round.

I know Austin is smaller but he is a freak as far as a speedster and a returner and I think he could play in both the Slot and
on the outside. Alec Pierce is big and fast though and more of an outside Receiver. Velus Jones is another option in the Draft.

I don't know if we will add a guy in FA but Jarvis Landry would be fantastic to steal from the Stains and get production out of.

I've been wondering when Valdes-Scantling will sign.  Then I read his agent is looking for $7-10M/yr. Then I was like, Oh, nevermind.

I wonder if DaeSean Hamilton is healthy? I read Denver was going to trade him before he tore his ACL training last summer. I thought he had potential coming out of college. I'd kick the tires. Still a lot of WR FAs I think could be upgrades and affordable.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:53 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I've been wondering when Valdes-Scantling will sign.  Then I read his agent is looking for $7-10M/yr. Then I was like, Oh, nevermind.

I wonder if DaeSean Hamilton is healthy? I read Denver was going to trade him before he tore his ACL training last summer. I thought he had potential coming out of college. I'd kick the tires. Still a lot of WR FAs I think could be upgrades and affordable.

I like Hamilton, if he is healthy and available he would be cheaper than Scantling for sure coming off injury.

Sure would be nice to find a guy that could come off the bench and light a fire in the Offense if one of our guys goes down
for any amount of time. We don't have that right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:03 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I agree with your thought process above and will also add that it’s far more likely that at least 1 of our 3 starting WR’s get hurt than our one OT or one starter at any given spot. 4th WR and 4th CB are two very important spots on a team in a pass happy league. Apple proved that last year for CB. We got lucky we didn’t lose one of our top 3 WR for extended periods but we can’t count on that every year. Look at the Rams WR injuries last year. They were lucky a star like OBJ was available mid season and then they still lost him late too.

This.

WR4 and CB4 are like first back up for 3 different positions. Very likely to play a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we draft a speedster like Alec Pierce or Calvin Austin around the 3rd round.

Who was that WR that.broke the fastest 40 at the combine..Thornton whats his name. ??
He could be a sleeper pick in the 4 to 6th RD range.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 03:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Who was that WR that.broke the fastest 40 at the combine..Thornton whats his name. ??
He could be a sleeper pick in the 4 to 6th RD range.

Good question, I didn't watch the WR's much in the combine as I was looking at DT's, CB's and TE's the most.
Reply/Quote