Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's get stoned
[Image: 51838195444_ca37c8716d_b.jpg]

[Image: 51838575180_5324342d9e_b.jpg]

Got this up the last couple days, probably took 12 hours.

Don't know how I'm configuring the basement, analysis paralysis, have too many ideas. I removed some solid core doors because I felt claustrophobic in what would have been a theater room. Kind of scrambling trying to get the area at least walkable by the superbowl, probably not going to happen but have made a lot of progress the last few months.
Reply/Quote
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Looking good!!

Now lets really get stoned! Rock On
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
When's The Force Awakens arriving?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Looks great (Empire Strikes Back poster would have been better but that one’s not bad).
Post some pics of the whole room and we will all chip in with unsolicited advice on what you should do.

I used to work for a stone veneer company.
Do you know who made that stone you used?
Reply/Quote
Bro, that is sweet looking! Really should be proud. Please no jokes of why I may or may not have wandered in here because of the nice thread title. But dude, that is very impressive.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:46 PM)magikod Wrote: Looking good!!

Now lets really get stoned! Rock On

Cool  I agree.  And I also, agree.  Both statements.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Looks nice! I dig it. Love stonework when it's done well. Interested to see what you do with the rest of the space!
Reply/Quote
World's shortest climbing wall?

J/K

Looks good.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 04:25 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Looks great (Empire Strikes Back poster would have been better but that one’s not bad).
Post some pics of the whole room and we will all chip in with unsolicited advice on what you should do.

I used to work for a stone veneer company.
Do you know who made that stone you used?

Yep, it's stonecraft kingsford grey. I'm using SRW vertical instalock glue on concrete board, it's so much cleaner than mixing mortar when I did my first wall witih stonecraft (below).

[Image: 51850463930_f1bd0ebaea_b.jpg]

Yeah that poster should show us how long it's been for my basement to be under construction after I demolished it, lol. Seems like I only work on it on weekends in the winter. It's getting tough to find double sided posters, this is actually a light box but I have to find an electrician, I don't like doing new electric work.

I used Halquist manchester stone on the deck/firepit:

[Image: 51850143509_5b99f92164_b.jpg]

[Image: 51848855562_98a0b8eba4_b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
You really have created some beautiful living spaces Reuben.

I'm pretty sure I recall you posted before shots of that outdoor area, and the end result was quite impressive.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 12:44 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You really have created some beautiful living spaces Reuben.

I'm pretty sure I recall you posted before shots of that outdoor area, and the end result was quite impressive.

Thank you! I've now reached the age that I'm too lazy to upkeep it I think, we will see come spring.

How about this? I feel like a fulltime mason now, part time carpenter, part time programmer.

[Image: 51850146061_e927fde676_b.jpg]

[Image: 51850800130_956853b174_b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Looks cool and good job. I've got several projects I still want to do around the house, tile work and other renovations. I used to be rather handy and would take on such things on my own like you have. But over the years for some reason I've gotten a bit timid when it comes to DYI home stuff. I don't know why. Everyday I stare at this non-load bearing wall I want to take out and just can't get myself to do it for some reason.

So good for you that you have been able to complete projects like that on your own. That's especially true now that material costs have gone up and finding a good contractor to actually do the work is getting harder to come by. My Mom has been trying to get someone to renovate her bathroom for over a year and has had a very hard time trying to get someone to finally commit to the job. It isn't a very big job so my guess is the people she has contacted ended up getting bigger jobs so bailed on her for the higher dollar bids.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 03:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Looks cool and good job.  I've got several  projects I still want to do around the house, tile work and other renovations.   I used to be rather handy and would take on such things on my own like you have.  But over the years for some reason I've gotten a bit timid when it comes to DYI home stuff.  I don't know why.  Everyday I stare at this non-load bearing wall I want to take out and just can't get myself to do it for some reason.  

So good for you that you have been able to complete projects like that on your own.   That's especially true now that material costs have gone up and finding a good contractor to actually do the work is getting harder to come by.   My Mom has been trying to get someone to renovate her bathroom for over a year and has had a very hard time trying to get someone to finally commit to the job.  It isn't a very big job so my guess is the people she has contacted ended up getting bigger jobs so bailed on her for the higher dollar bids.

The amount of people who no call no show, or call and say they're coming and no show, is amazing. I think it's the only business to be able to get away with this behavior? lol.

My electrician neighbor said he's closing about $10,000 of electrical invoices a week (him and 1 other in a company he started). It's probably all new home construction so when I ask him to install a ceiling fan for me (although I can but I don't want to get on a 15ft ladder lol), it's not worth $150 lol.

I usually make a lot of mistakes the first time I do something lol. I'm finding there is some creativity involved with carpentry/finishing things, and a lot of math involved. I have a carpenter friend I get help from on things I want him to show me (that google didn't lol), and I noticed the main thing is carpenters can fix their "mistakes" while our DIYers are afraid to make a mistake. I usually end up foiling something up worse than when I started before learning how to fix the problems and finish lol. I guess 1 way to learn is by messing it up first.

I'm not working full time anymore (by choice) which has given a lot more time to working on the basement. There are a lot of times I'm tired and say "Kobe wouldn't do this" when I try to stop lol. I think Kobe practiced 3 times a day IIRC and didn't sleep much. Even though I'm a Jordan fan.

My first sink/tile job, I've done very little plumbing before this, other than putting PVC together with glue. The tile took me way longer than anyone probably because I don't know what I'm doing and I didn't have the right cutting tools to bevel the cut pieces.

[Image: 51850829932_4119e5895a_b.jpg]

[Image: 51851793951_482594aeec_c.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Good job...better not let my wife see this thread.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 10:37 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: mount of people who no call no show, or call and say they're coming and no show, is amazing. I think it's the only business to be able to get away with this behavior? lol.

My electrician neighbor said he's closing about $10,000 of electrical invoices a week (him and 1 other in a company he started). It's probably all new home construction so when I ask him to install a ceiling fan for me (although I can but I don't want to get on a 15ft ladder lol), it's not worth $150 lol.

I usually make a lot of mistakes the first time I do something lol. I'm finding there is some creativity involved with carpentry/finishing things, and a lot of math involved. I have a carpenter friend I get help from on things I want him to show me (that google didn't lol), and I noticed the main thing is carpenters can fix their "mistakes" while our DIYers are afraid to make a mistake. I usually end up foiling something up worse than when I started before learning how to fix the problems and finish lol. I guess 1 way to learn is by messing it up first.

I'm not working full time anymore (by choice) which has given a lot more time to working on the basement. There are a lot of times I'm tired and say "Kobe wouldn't do this" when I try to stop lol. I think Kobe practiced 3 times a day IIRC and didn't sleep much. Even though I'm a Jordan fan.

My first sink/tile job, I've done very little plumbing before this, other than putting PVC together with glue. The tile took me way longer than anyone probably because I don't know what I'm doing and I didn't have the right cutting tools to bevel the cut pieces.

That's awesome.  It's great to bring craftsmen in to get the job done, but there's something (a lot, actually) to be said for rolling up your sleeves and learning to do it yourself.  Obviously there are some things best handled by people with a lot of experience and knowledge of code, but the pride in doing a job yourself is great, and it's just cool to learn new skills.  I worked for a GC through college and was amazing how much those guys just got after a project and had to hack it together.  Yes, there were some amazing carpenters and welders and electricians etc I worked with.  But it seemed most guys had to guess at how to solve a problem and then troubleshoot as they went.  That gave me a lot more confidence in doing home projects knowing you didn't have to perfect every skill of the project to start it. 

Since Covid hit, it's also been so hard to find contractors.  I had a couple things I was going to do at my house about 18 months ago (refinish all the hardwood floors, replace all my kitchen cabinets/counters, some finishing work in my basement) and I'd get one returned call from a contractor for every 10 calls I was making.  And then those guys were telling me it was going to be 6-10 months before they could fit me in.  I ended up scrapping the kitchen project and doing the rest myself.  It's been the wildest time finding anyone to do work because they're so busy and overloaded with people spending more time at home and many having extra money. 

You're doing some solid work there, and I love seeing the pics! 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 11:04 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Good job...better not let my wife see this thread.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 10:37 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I usually make a lot of mistakes the first time I do something lol.

That is the same with everyone.

I don't mind struggling to do something the first time, but the problem is that many times I will never do the same job again. Especially mechanical issues. Home improvements are much more common and a young guy like you may do these same things again.
Reply/Quote
You have done some good work there. Keep going because it’s looking really good and we want to see what it looks like when it’s finished (so now you have to do it for us)
Reply/Quote
You know that old carpentry saying? Measure twice, cut once? Measure 15 times, cut 14 times then start over..  Smirk
 You should use a story pole whenever you're going to cover any area where there are multiple measurements in a single line.. A story pole never lies, but individual measurements often do..  ThumbsUp Personally I like using the Fastcap story pole tape measure.. Great tool to have..and cheap as dirt.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote