Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's get stoned
I definitely have a lot more wasted material from messing up. Even with measure twice cut once it’s still off lol.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 09:34 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I definitely have a lot more wasted material from messing up. Even with measure twice cut once it’s still off lol.

Buy a decent saw and good miter gauge. and/or a good chopsaw with a nice, long bed.. Mark things with a mechanical pencil with thin lead, preferably .05 or lower.. Oh yeah..Use quality squares and not the cheap ones from harbor freight or even the box stores.. A real square makes all the difference. Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 06:29 PM)grampahol Wrote:  Oh yeah..Use quality squares and not the cheap ones from harbor freight or even the box stores.. A real square makes all the difference. Wink

Are you talking about using a T-square instead of an L-square?

Because even though I agree 100% in spending good money for higher quality tools I don't see how a cheap square would be any different from a more expensive one.  There are no moving parts, and you don't put any pressure on one that will cause it to break or wear out.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 03:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Are you talking about using a T-square instead of an L-square?

Because even though I agree 100% in spending good money for higher quality tools I don't see how a cheap square would be any different from a more expensive one.  There are no moving parts, and you don't put any pressure on one that will cause it to break or wear out.

Cheap squares, ANY KIND, usually don't end up being truly square.  And the rare ones that are within acceptable limits are easy to damage or warp because of the weaker materials.

Go to HF and look at a combination square from Pittsburgh.  Then go to HD look at one made by Empire and see the difference in the quality.  Then go find one from Starrett or Mitutoyo and see how poorly the Empire one is in comparison.

Measuring and layout tools are one of those things that you really cannot cut corners with, unless you are looking at them being a general reference tool only.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote