Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's talk DT's
Just thought I would bring this up as food for thought.

NFL Combine Weigh-In

Player A: 6'1", 293 lbs, 32" Arms, 9 5/8" Hands
Player B: 6'1", 293 lbs, 32 5/8" Arms, 9 5/8" Hands

Player A Strengths:
He plays with great intelligence and instincts and was a good student
Displays impressive quickness off the ball and good lateral agility in pursuit.
Has impressive pass rushing ability for a defensive tackle.

Player B Strengths:
Outstanding quickness off snap...Noticeably quicker than guards attempting to block him when rushing from inside.
Quick hands and wastes no time shedding single blocks.
Lateral quickness could make him a terror in twisting pass ­rush.

Player A Weaknesses:
He's undersized as a defensive tackle lacking adequate height and bulk.
Doesn't have the power to consistently hold up at the point of attack against the run and is overpowered by bigger blockers.
Must become more consistent with his hand use

Player B Weaknesses:
Frame is lacking the pure bulk to make a living inside.
Doesn't have power to be consistent bull­-rush threat.
A good double team will overwhelm him at point of attack.

Player A: Geno Atkins (10 letters)
Player B: Sheldon Day(10 letters)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 07:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Has there ever been any official talk about us coming close to drafting a DT in the first under Marvin? It seems we hear pretty often so and so got picked right before our pick and that is who we had targeted. Like the DT in the 2nd last year. I dont ever remember hearing about how we were close to getting the DT we wanted in the first. Seems like they fall every year too.

Seemed like half the board said we absolutely had to take Malcolm Brown last year if by some miracle he fell to us in the first. Well he did. Then kept on falling. 

I dont think a DT we go get in the first is going to be that much better than one that is available in the 2nd.

Yes, two years ago when Aaron Donald was coming out. There were many mocks that had him going to the Bengals.

Donald shot up after the combine and we select Dennard, who many were surprised when he fell to us.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just thought I would bring this up as food for thought.

NFL Combine Weigh-In

Player A: 6'1", 293 lbs, 32" Arms, 9 5/8" Hands
Player B: 6'1", 293 lbs, 32 5/8" Arms, 9 5/8" Hands

Player A Strengths:
He plays with great intelligence and instincts and was a good student
Displays impressive quickness off the ball and good lateral agility in pursuit.
Has impressive pass rushing ability for a defensive tackle.

Player B Strengths:
Outstanding quickness off snap...Noticeably quicker than guards attempting to block him when rushing from inside.
Quick hands and wastes no time shedding single blocks.
Lateral quickness could make him a terror in twisting pass ­rush.

Player A Weaknesses:
He's undersized as a defensive tackle lacking adequate height and bulk.
Doesn't have the power to consistently hold up at the point of attack against the run and is overpowered by bigger blockers.
Must become more consistent with his hand use

Player B Weaknesses:
Frame is lacking the pure bulk to make a living inside.
Doesn't have power to be consistent bull­-rush threat.
A good double team will overwhelm him at point of attack.

Player A: Geno Atkins (10 letters)
Player B: Sheldon Day(10 letters)

Pretty crazy that Geno once was considered not to have the power to consistently hold up at the point of attack
against the run and was overpowered by bigger blockers. Dude seriously improved in that department and the
rest of his weaknesses besides height of course that actually seems to help him.

Maybe we ought to take a look at Sheldon Day lol.
Reply/Quote
I still like Butler in the first.
I think he's going to end up being one of the best that comes out this year.
Reply/Quote
This little nugget is from the latest Hobson's Choice:

Quote:Hello Geoff, what do you think of the possibility of the Bengals drafting DT Andrew Billings from Baylor if available with the 24th pick? Domata has had a solid NFL career but his production has slipped vs the run and an upgrade is needed at the nose position. George Williams, Arlington, TX

GEORGE: You’ll get an argument from the coaches about slippage from Peko. They see him as a solid guy. I mean, Peko played half the snaps, most of them on run downs, and they finished No. 7 in the league against the run while he threw in a career-high five sacks. And he’s started 102 straight games. The guy’s gold, George, gold. He's not done yet.

Sure, he’s also 31 and they need an infusion of youth at D-Tackle, but I don’t think they need it in the first round. They already have two guys they groomed last year as rookies, fourth-rounder Marcus Hardison (one of those compensatories) and CFA DeShawn Williams, after both came off outstanding training camps.

So I think you can keep No. 24 open for something else. Maybe down the line they could get one, but it’s doubtful he’ll be ahead of Hardison and Williams working behind Peko and Atkins. And I could see them re-signing big run stuffer Pat Sims with free agent Brandon Thompson rehabbing his ACL.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 06:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This little nugget is from the latest Hobson's Choice:

Good god. This team is loathsome sometimes. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 06:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Good god. This team is loathsome sometimes. 

I would hate to see what he would say about signing someone like Mack.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 06:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Good god. This team is loathsome sometimes. 

With the continuation of shit like that, I've officially hit the acceptance phase.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 08:21 PM)Stormborn Wrote: With the continuation of shit like that, I've officially hit the acceptance phase.

I fully expect the "smokescreen" posts soon, but this team has always been fairly open about these types of things
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 07:57 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I would hate to see what he would say about signing someone like Mack.

For heaven's sake don't ask!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 08:21 PM)Stormborn Wrote: With the continuation of shit like that, I've officially hit the acceptance phase.

So much for the BPA.  We finally get a good crop of DTs following the show that Denver's DTs put on in the Super Bowl and we'll end up taking a flyer on one in the 5th round this year because they haven't started pulling Peko's teeth yet and Hardison and Williams have such a track record of stuffing the run... in preseason against third rounders.

I like Peko a lot.  I'm up for keeping him.  But Sims and Thompson have been chronically hurt averaging 10 snaps a game.   Peko's great if he doesn't have to play more than 20 - 30.   Hardison and Williams are totally unproven and are reputed to be penetrating types not run stuffers.

Hopefully this is Hobson's take not Marvin's.
Reply/Quote

Welcome to the club, I'm preparing myself to see a speedy WR or CB taken in the 1st round. Hell, Hobson would praise if we took 1st round CB every.......freaking.......year.

(03-04-2016, 04:45 PM)3wt Wrote: So much for the BPA.  We finally get a good crop of DTs following the show that Denver's DTs put on in the Super Bowl and we'll end up taking a flyer on one in the 5th round this year because they haven't started pulling Peko's teeth yet and Hardison and Williams have such a track record of stuffing the run... in preseason against third rounders.

I like Peko a lot.  I'm up for keeping him.  But Sims and Thompson have been chronically hurt averaging 10 snaps a game.   Peko's great if he doesn't have to play more than 20 - 30.   Hardison and Williams are totally unproven and are reputed to be penetrating types not run stuffers.

Hopefully this is Hobson's take not Marvin's.

Hobson is a Bengals employee and he tends to reflect the thought around the office. Plus, we've got the same guy (Marvin) running the ship. If we lose some key guys, expect us to do the same things in order to replace them. Nothing in FA, and hope our 4th round rookie turns into a beast.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 05:05 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Welcome to the club, I'm preparing myself to see a speedy WR or CB taken in the 1st round. Hell, Hobson would praise if we took 1st round CB every.......freaking.......year.

Hobson is a Bengals employee and he tends to reflect the thought around the office. Plus, we've got the same guy (Marvin) running the ship. If we lose some key guys, expect us to do the same things in order to replace them. Nothing in FA, and hope our 4th round rookie turns into a beast.

This wouldn't be terrible if the team ever did anything to actually fix one or two needs via FA.

This defense is going to crash hard over the next few years unless damn near every pick between now and then pans out to at least "above average starter"

We have 0 depth at some spots. In the next 2 years at some point we will have to depend on a rookie at DT or DE or both. 
We have nothing in the well right now. The fact Hardison didn't get activated once is not good considering how bad Thompson and Sims were for stretches. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 05:05 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Welcome to the club, I'm preparing myself to see a speedy WR or CB taken in the 1st round. Hell, Hobson would praise if we took 1st round CB every.......freaking.......year.

Not only that, but in the eyes of the Bengals org, they could have starters leave in FA at the WR, S, and CB positions. VRey and Lamur are also hitting FA, so that removes the third/fourth options at LB.
Plus, the Bengals will likely look at this DT class and think, "Gee, this is a DT class that is deep. We can get a first round talent in the third/fourth! Let's do that!"

Given what I've heard on FA so far, we shouldn't expect Iloka and/or MLJ back in stripes due to cost. Say bye to the fifth round picks that were developed into good players.

I'm expecting a WR and CB in the first three rounds. Maybe a SS/nickel LB (Miles Killebrew, Su'a Cravens) somewhere in the first four rounds. DT will be a middle round pick (3-5). Probably a DE and OL in late rounds.

Is it sad I'm hoping the Bengals get a comp pick for Marshall Newhouse?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not only that, but in the eyes of the Bengals org, they could have starters leave in FA at the WR, S, and CB positions. VRey and Lamur are also hitting FA, so that removes the third/fourth options at LB.
Plus, the Bengals will likely look at this DT class and think, "Gee, this is a DT class that is deep. We can get a first round talent in the third/fourth! Let's do that!"

Given what I've heard on FA so far, we shouldn't expect Iloka and/or MLJ back in stripes due to cost. Say bye to the fifth round picks that were developed into good players.

I'm expecting a WR and CB in the first three rounds. Maybe a SS/nickel LB (Miles Killebrew, Su'a Cravens) somewhere in the first four rounds. DT will be a middle round pick (3-5). Probably a DE and OL in late rounds.

Is it sad I'm hoping the Bengals get a comp pick for Marshall Newhouse?

No because this team flat out needs comp picks to survive. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 09:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I fully expect the "smokescreen" posts soon, but this team has always been fairly open about these types of things

I wouldn't say that.

Last year in a mock draft near the end of April, Hobson had the Bengals drafting Jordan Phillips in the 1st. He actually had him as the pick twice.

He also talked about Louis Nix and Timmy Jernigan as possible draft picks.

Meanwhile, the Bengals didn't even draft a DT until the late 4th round (if you count Hardison as a DT).
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:12 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I wouldn't say that.

Last year in a mock draft near the end of April, Hobson had the Bengals drafting Jordan Phillips in the 1st. He actually had him as the pick twice.

Meanwhile, the Bengals didn't even draft a DT until the late 4th round (if you count Hardison as a DT).

If that's the best smokescreen they have....it makes sense our DTs suck outside of one guy
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:12 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I wouldn't say that.

Yea I don't think they let the guy in charge of releasing information to the public get word of any confidential draft information. And if they did I think he likes his job enough that he isn't going to go out there and say exactly who we are targeting and what we intend to do.

Apparently our list of guys we interviewed at the combine is a closely kept secret. So your list they probably hate.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:10 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No because this team flat out needs comp picks to survive. 

I attribute that to Marvin being around Ozzie Newsome. Marvin seems to think that strategy works the best of any other strategy. If a FA is being offered a deal that looks like it'll net a 3rd or 4th rounder, they let the guy walk and protect the pick. We also get to limit our list of FAs to cut guys. Yipee.

If we let Iloka and Jones go, then there's ZERO excuse to not get extensions done with guys like Eifert and Zeitler in camp.

(03-05-2016, 01:24 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yea I don't think they let the guy in charge of releasing information to the public get word of any confidential draft information. And if they did I think he likes his job enough that he isn't going to go out there and say exactly who we are targeting and what we intend to do.

Apparently our list of guys we interviewed at the combine is a closely kept secret. So your list they probably hate.

They may not let Hobson have access to sensitive draft information, but they don't seem to have problem telling Lapham. He's the one that told us the Bengals preferred Zeitler to DeCastro in 12, Eifert in 13, and even predicted Ogbuehi for last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 02:10 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I attribute that to Marvin being around Ozzie Newsome. Marvin seems to think that strategy works the best of any other strategy. If a FA is being offered a deal that looks like it'll net a 3rd or 4th rounder, they let the guy walk and protect the pick. We also get to limit our list of FAs to cut guys. Yipee.

If we let Iloka and Jones go, then there's ZERO excuse to not get extensions done with guys like Eifert and Zeitler in camp.

They may not let Hobson have access to sensitive draft information, but they don't seem to have problem telling Lapham. He's the one that told us the Bengals preferred Zeitler to DeCastro in 12, Eifert in 13, and even predicted Ogbuehi for last year.

They are literally the only 2 major deals up in the next few years. 
And it's two of the lowest paid positions on offense. 
Reply/Quote