Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Let's talk about roster depth...
(03-26-2022, 11:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: and Ossai before the season even began. 

This is the best shape I can remember a Bengals team being in heading into the draft in a long time and am excited. Sure there are still needs, but every team has them like Bengalsfan74 pointed out and believe when it's said and done we all will be feeling good about it. 

Expecting a last minute FA signing and the rest from the draft. Maybe even somebody that's released during camp that wants to Chase a ring and take a one year prove it type contract.  

I'm still a little skeptical of the whole players signing to Chase a ring. It does happen but the names and hype have to be a little bigger than the Bengals have at the moment. I saw the betting favorites and the Bengals aren't even top 10 to win the Superbowl or top 5 to win the AFC. This could change but I think it will take atleast another year or two with deep runs.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 11:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: and Ossai before the season even began. 

This is the best shape I can remember a Bengals team being in heading into the draft in a long time and am excited. Sure there are still needs, but every team has them like Bengalsfan74 pointed out and believe when it's said and done we all will be feeling good about it. 

Expecting a last minute FA signing and the rest from the draft. Maybe even somebody that's released during camp that wants to Chase a ring and take a one year prove it type contract.  

Yeah, didn't even mention Ossai, crazy. Spot on, never seen our team this deep going into a Draft.

Add one more last minute FA and draft well and we are in the best situation of any team IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 01:39 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm still a little skeptical of the whole players signing to Chase a ring. It does happen but the names and hype have to be a little bigger than the Bengals have at the moment. I saw the betting favorites and the Bengals aren't even top 10 to win the Superbowl or top 5 to win the AFC. This could change but I think it will take atleast another year or two with deep runs.

Them betters don't know shit then lol
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Them betters don't know shit then lol

I agree. But its still an insight into the national view of the Bengals. I saw someone else post that the Browns and Ravens had better odds to win the AFC north and I think that's a little ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Them betters don't know shit then lol

The real question is if we should all be taking advantage of the Bengals skepticism and put some money down. 
Reply/Quote
Is there a single NFL team that is happy with their depth? I don't think there is. Depth is an issue across the league. It's part of the reason why injuries are so brutal. Most teams don't have strong backups.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 05:19 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The real question is if we should all be taking advantage of the Bengals skepticism and put some money down. 

This team has as good of depth as anybody. Tampa lost a bunch of receivers and didn’t repeat. Baltimore had a lot of injuries and they suffered horribly. In 2020 we lost a lot to injuries and sucked. When QB’s and WR make big money and even left tackles it’s tough to have a loaded roster.

We are week at one corner. That’s the biggest issue. It’s our only truly weak spot. Now there’s some depth areas.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 05:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Is there a single NFL team that is happy with their depth? I don't think there is. Depth is an issue across the league. It's part of the reason why injuries are so brutal. Most teams don't have strong backups.

No, because few want to spend the money (or can) to have competent depth almost anywhere. Usually that occurs because you had a later round pick flourish and they are still on a rookie deal, or you had a rookie take a vets spot and their contract is more beneficial to keep than cut. No one really goes out and pays much of anything for depth because it’s so hard to do in the current cap landscape.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 05:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Is there a single NFL team that is happy with their depth? I don't think there is. Depth is an issue across the league. It's part of the reason why injuries are so brutal. Most teams don't have strong backups.

(03-27-2022, 07:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, because few want to spend the money (or can) to have competent depth almost anywhere. Usually that occurs because you had a later round pick flourish and they are still on a rookie deal, or you had a rookie take a vets spot and their contract is more beneficial to keep than cut. No one really goes out and pays much of anything for depth because it’s so hard to do in the current cap landscape.

That's why I split my post up between depth competing for starting spot and depth.

Cornerback, Under Tackle, and Tight End are high on the list competing for a starting spot.

Edit: Bengals interviewed Tre McBride so he is likely on their board.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Last year we got lucky. Larry O went down and BJ Hill had comparable production. That usually never happens. I think we lack at TE depth, offensive line DEPTH, defensive line depth, linebacker depth and CB depth. If anyone from either of those groups get hurt were in trouble. We are putting a lot of trust in Ossai coming back and being a rotational piece and i think we’re drafting an inferior DL early. I think we’ll get around our linebacker issues by just playing 2 linebacker sets all year. Pratt or Wilson get hurt and we’re screwed.

I’m almost sure our CB depth will be addressed in the draft and with another FA so I’m not worried about that one.

In general i do believe our team is too heavy and will once again rely on its main players playing a lot of snaps and staying healthy. I definitely think if other guys come on the trade block that pass rush we should strike again. The BJ Hill deal was just amazing pay off.

But just to say it. No team really has depth across the board. They usually have strong positions like us and our WRs and they just try and make due. Ppl get hurt it is what it is. Can’t really put money into backup spots to account for guys getting hurt. You gotta give your starters, starter money and hope you other guys step up if needed
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 07:52 PM)Housh Wrote: Last year we got lucky. Larry O went down and BJ Hill had comparable production. That usually never happens. I think we lack at TE depth, offensive line DEPTH, defensive line depth, linebacker depth and CB depth. If anyone from either of those groups get hurt were in trouble. We are putting a lot of trust in Ossai coming back and being a rotational piece and i think we’re drafting an inferior DL early. I think we’ll get around our linebacker issues by just playing 2 linebacker sets all year. Pratt or Wilson get hurt and we’re screwed.

I’m almost sure our CB depth will be addressed in the draft and with another FA so I’m not worried about that one.

In general i do believe our team is too heavy and will once again rely on its main players playing a lot of snaps and staying healthy. I definitely think if other guys come on the trade block that pass rush we should strike again. The BJ Hill deal was just amazing pay off.

But just to say it. No team really has depth across the board. They usually have strong positions like us and our WRs and they just try and make due. Ppl get hurt it is what it is. Can’t really put money into backup spots to account for guys getting hurt. You gotta give your starters, starter money and hope you other guys step up if needed

I agree on all the depth spots needed. I'm not terribly worried about TE but agree we could use another I just don't want to spend a higher draft pick on a TE when we have more valuable positions needing depth. I really think we should resign Spain and Reiff and that would give us the depth at Oline. We could go CB, DT and LB in the 1st 3rds. One thing that I think is working in our favor is we could use a 4th WR and a safety and there is good depth in this draft and believe we can get a player at each position later that can contribute in spots next year. Maybe we could find a DE in the 4th that could add some depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 09:33 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I agree on all the depth spots needed. I'm not terribly worried about TE but agree we could use another I just don't want to spend a higher draft pick on a TE when we have more valuable positions needing depth. I really think we should resign Spain and Reiff and that would give us the depth at Oline. We could go CB, DT and LB in the 1st 3rds. One thing that I think is working in our favor is we could use a 4th WR and a safety and there is good depth in this draft and believe we can get a player at each position later that can contribute in spots next year. Maybe we could find a DE in the 4th that could add some depth.

I get the desire for experienced oline depth but not sure that I see the how behind it?  We have around 11M in cap with rookies and PS players still to pay, we need a vet CB, possibly DT as well, and the Bengals always want some rollover.

We usually keep 9 linemen active, if Carmen starts with Williams, Karras, Cappa and Collins we still have 4 reserves:
Smith, Hill, Adeniji and Prince.

I understand that Adeniji and Prince did not do well, but both are under contract for 2 more seasons for less than $2M total each.  The most economical substitutions would come from the draft.   I wouldn't think we look for a vet at LG until Carmen, Smith and the rest prove they simply can't get it done.

We could draft both FS and SS and I would be ok.

LB depth seems to be ok for now...  ADG, Bailey, Bachie, Johnston

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:32 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I get the desire for experienced oline depth but not sure that I see the how behind it?  We have around 11M in cap with rookies and PS players still to pay, we need a vet CB, possibly DT as well, and the Bengals always want some rollover.

We usually keep 9 linemen active, if Carmen starts with Williams, Karras, Cappa and Collins we still have 4 reserves:
Smith, Hill, Adeniji and Prince.

I understand that Adeniji and Prince did not do well, but both are under contract for 2 more seasons for less than $2M total each.  The most economical substitutions would come from the draft.   I wouldn't think we look for a vet at LG until Carmen, Smith and the rest prove they simply can't get it done.

We could draft both FS and SS and I would be ok.

LB depth seems to be ok for now...  ADG, Bailey, Bachie, Johnston

I was thinking that Reiff and Spain might be additions that could be on the cheaper side while giving us proven depth. I think either way it shakes out in the draft we should be able to get CB and DT that could at least contribute this year. The earlier the better as far as odds of them contributing so if Oline is no longer a need at all then we could draft them 1 and 2. I know we run defense with 2 LBs but beyond Pratt and Wilson I'm not sold. I think we should draft one this year for depth and hopefully help this year. I think the linebacker position is an area we can continue to improve.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 10:17 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I was thinking that Reiff and Spain might be additions that could be on the cheaper side while giving us proven depth. I think either way it shakes out in the draft we should be able to get CB and DT that could at least contribute this year. The earlier the better as far as odds of them contributing so if Oline is no longer a need at all then we could draft them 1 and 2. I know we run defense with 2 LBs but beyond Pratt and Wilson I'm not sold. I think we should draft one this year for depth and hopefully help this year. I think the linebacker position is an area we can continue to improve.

I'd bet they think we are good on the oline until proven otherwise but they draft at least one.

Totally agree with the CB and DT.

A LB pickup would be good, how early they pull the trigger could indicate their plans with Pratt - same could be said with a Safety selection.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 10:17 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I was thinking that Reiff and Spain might be additions that could be on the cheaper side while giving us proven depth. I think either way it shakes out in the draft we should be able to get CB and DT that could at least contribute this year. The earlier the better as far as odds of them contributing so if Oline is no longer a need at all then we could draft them 1 and 2. I know we run defense with 2 LBs but beyond Pratt and Wilson I'm not sold. I think we should draft one this year for depth and hopefully help this year. I think the linebacker position is an area we can continue to improve.

I think Reiff and Spain are a waiting game. Waiting game for them and us. The Bengals have given them a number and told them they will wait on them to find a better one.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:17 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think Reiff and Spain are a waiting game. Waiting game for them and us. The Bengals have given them a number and told them they will wait on them to find a better one.

How does it make any sense that we would sign two vets to 1 year contracts that cost 4-6M, when we know they want one of the young guys to compete for the LG spot leaving us with 4 backups on rookie deals?

You really think they are going to cut 2 rookies with 2 years left for 1 year large deals for vet backups that eat up the remaining viable cap space?

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 11:30 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As of now on the OL, are back ups played a lot in 2021. I am hopeful they can progress under Pollack. Our DL I think will be addressed in the draft and FA. 

I am not concerned about depth at all at this stage, I think we are way better at this point in time versus 2021.

I would be worried at OT, Prince and Adeniji are not 2nd year players, they are now 4th year players and I saw little difference in their play this past season to previous seasons... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:45 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How does it make any sense that we would sign two vets to 1 year contracts that cost 4-6M, when we know they want one of the young guys to compete for the LG spot leaving us with 4 backups on rookie deals?

You really think they are going to cut 2 rookies with 2 years left for 1 year large deals for vet backups that eat up the remaining viable cap space?

Very true.  I see some advocate for loading up several more throughout the draft, but it just doesn't make sense when considering roster construction and looking at some the young players that we are already invested in for development.  I certainly would love to address it more at some capacity, but there is only so much room.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 01:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would be worried at OT, Prince and Adeniji are not 2nd year players, they are now 4th year players and I saw little difference in their play this past season to previous seasons... 

You are not wrong.  But not many teams have excellent depth at oline.  Pushing funds to back up roles at one position takes away from starter funds at another.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 12:45 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How does it make any sense that we would sign two vets to 1 year contracts that cost 4-6M, when we know they want one of the young guys to compete for the LG spot leaving us with 4 backups on rookie deals?

Never said 4-6 million. Read what I said. I said they’ve given them a number. I’m sure it’s the minimum for their tenure in the league. I would say $6 max for both. Probably less and maybe like just one of them.
Reply/Quote