Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's talk about the defense's lack of turnovers
One aspect of the Bengals defense that in.which has constantly
Bothered me is inability of this defense to cause and create turnovers. I mean this was happening before Anarumo got here
I think Austin's defense was just as bad in not coming up with
Turnovers.
Show me a playoff team and I will.show you a defense that is
Opportunistic.
Its pretty cut and dry. When a defense causea fumbles and ints
It's another possesion for the offense.
The Bengals defense is downright pathetic when comes to
Getting the ball back for the offense.
Why is that?
Is the.art of dislodging the ball not practiced enough with Bengals coaches?
Do the Bengals on defense have a lack of players who.dont possess
That instinct to seperate ball.from.ball.carrier?
I know some NFL teams religiously practice creating turnovers.
Im.not.so.sure the Bengals do. Cause I.sure as heck.dont see it
On the field.
Very few forced and recovered fumbles. Very few ints.
The Bengals must be in the bottom 5 of teams regarding the turnover aspect on defense.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 08:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: One aspect of the Bengals defense that in.which has constantly
Bothered me is inability of this defense to cause and create turnovers. I mean this was happening before Anarumo got here
I think Austin's defense was just as bad in not coming up with
Turnovers.
Show me a playoff team and I will.show you a defense that is
Opportunistic.
Its pretty cut and dry. When a defense causea fumbles and ints
It's another possesion for the offense.
The Bengals defense is downright pathetic when comes to
Getting the ball back for the offense.
Why is that?
Is the.art of dislodging the ball not practiced enough with Bengals coaches?
Do the Bengals on defense have a lack of players who.dont possess
That instinct to seperate ball.from.ball.carrier?
I know some NFL teams religiously practice creating turnovers.
Im.not.so.sure the Bengals do. Cause I.sure as heck.dont see it
On the field.
Very few forced and recovered fumbles. Very few ints.
The Bengals must be in the bottom 5 of teams regarding the turnover aspect on defense.

Some of this is coaching, most is talent and the other is defensive scheme for a particular play.  I think more than anything is the defense getting to 3rd down and medium or long.  You get there and put pressure where it needs to be and that's when turnovers usually happen.  I'd be interested to know how many turnovers occur on 1st, 2nd and 3rd downs.   I did a quick search but couldn't find anything solid.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
One of the things that killed our turnovers for years is our CB's went like 3 for 47 on possible interception chances.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lack of pressure and Athleticism particularly at the LB spot.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I have a funny memory of Kirkpatrick making what seemed like our biggest INT in forever and stumbling at the 1. Man, that guy looked like a fool in one of his biggest moments lol.
Reply/Quote
Its funny I see these pass rushers like Garrett and Watt use that
Tomahawk chop to remove the ball.from the QBs grip
Yet our DEs rarely use that move.
I think last year SI ran a story on the art of creating a fumble
And not surprisingly not one Bengal was featured.
I know this defense had issues giving yds and points last year
But not.creating turnovers to flip the field is a huge issue.
Rarely was our QBs able to start a drive in the opponents
Side of the field. I think Steelers game was a exception
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 10:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: One of the things that killed our turnovers for years is our CB's went like 3 for 47 on possible interception chances.

This. I know CBs have bad hands (that's usually why they play defense) but it seems like our CBs have the worst hands.
Reply/Quote
I've always wondered if the secondary should visit a professional volleyball team and get some tips on how to 'dig'. Many interceptions are because of tipping the ball and 'digging' would keep that ball live so another defender can catch it. Just a thought...
Reply/Quote
Statistically the team with the fewest turnovers wins a higher percentage of games than the team that gains the most yards.

People talk about concentrating on creating turnovers, but from my experience the team that plays the best defense creates the most turnovers. The teams with the best coverage get the most interceptions. The teams that are in the best position to make tackles and use the best form force the most fumbles. The teams that hit the quarterback to most get the most strips.

It doesn't help much to learn a "tomahawk" technique if the players are not getting to the QB in the first place.
Reply/Quote
Just let this sink in..Longest tenured player on Bengals defensively.. Jordan Evans..
Yup...the story ends right there.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In the glory days of Carson & Chad & Rudi, the Defense had its issues, but what made us a contender with THAT defense was it's ability to get turnovers and let our powerhouse offense retake the lead or get us the victory.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 08:49 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: In the glory days of Carson & Chad & Rudi, the Defense had its issues, but what made us a contender with THAT defense was it's ability to get turnovers and let our powerhouse offense retake the lead or get us the victory.

Your better Bengals teams from the past always had
Ballhawks in the back 7.
Those years the Bengals were in contention
From 1970 to 1977....Riley Parrish Casanova
Those players crafted taking the ball away with
Mega,return yards to boot
And they threw the ball much less in that era

The Super Bowl teams had guys that created
Turnovers on defense. 
Heck like you said those teams with Carson
Had playmakers especially that 2005 team

I recall Deltha ONeal sealing a Bengals win
By picking off Kelly Holcomb.
Him and James were legit thieves.
20 picks between those 2 alone that year.
We have had 20 picks as,a unit added 
Up in the last 2 years
Reply/Quote
I think Dunlap was the one who caused a lot of strip sacks. He was released by Seattle and is available again.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 09:25 AM)EatonFan Wrote: He was released by Seattle and is available again.

Link?
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 10:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Link?

Per the Seahawks website, Dunlap is still listed on their roster.  

https://www.seahawks.com/team/players-roster/

I believe he may have re-signed with the Seahawks at the seasons end of 2020. 

From what I'm finding he was cut by Seattle on March 8th but this happened on March 25th: 

Seahawks' Carlos Dunlap: Back with Seattle after all
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Dunlap signed a two-year, $16.6 million contract with the Seahawks on Thursday, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports.
Dunlap racked up five sacks in eight games with Seattle after being acquired from the Bengals via trade, but the Seahawks cut him to avoid his $14 million cap hit this offseason. The two sides renegotiated and settled on this two-year deal for the pass rusher, which includes $8.5 million in guaranteed money.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 10:40 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Per the Seahawks website, Dunlap is still listed on their roster.  

https://www.seahawks.com/team/players-roster/

I believe he may have re-signed with the Seahawks at the seasons end of 2020. 

From what I'm finding he was cut by Seattle on March 8th but this happened on March 25th: 

Seahawks' Carlos Dunlap: Back with Seattle after all
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Dunlap signed a two-year, $16.6 million contract with the Seahawks on Thursday, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports.
Dunlap racked up five sacks in eight games with Seattle after being acquired from the Bengals via trade, but the Seahawks cut him to avoid his $14 million cap hit this offseason. The two sides renegotiated and settled on this two-year deal for the pass rusher, which includes $8.5 million in guaranteed money.

Didn't see that he re-signed.  Just saw he was released.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 11:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I have a funny memory of Kirkpatrick making what seemed like our biggest INT in forever and stumbling at the 1. Man, that guy looked like a fool in one of his biggest moments lol.

2017 Denver Game. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 10:07 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Didn't see that he re-signed.  Just saw he was released.

Had me confused because I knew they just signed him to a 2 year deal with a $7m signing bonus. Was wondering what the hell happened to get him released out of that. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
What’s there to discuss? We have like 1 star in that side of the ball. Not like we were gonna get mad turnovers. And ironically our 1 star is a safety whose underrated
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 02:29 AM)Housh Wrote: What’s there to discuss? We have like 1 star in that side of the ball. Not like we were gonna get mad turnovers. And ironically our 1 star is a safety whose underrated

Housh come on if you here this board talk about the defense though you're going to have like 5 or 6 Pro Bowlers from that defensive this year man.   I mean we've added like so many pieces to that side of the ball and spent $200M on the defense in the last 2 years.  We SHOULD have more than 1 star on that side of the ball. 

We have 1 star and it's Jesse Bates period!  People act like Hendrickson and Reader, and the whole DL is special.  I'd never put this line up against our line from 2010-2015.  The current DL wouldnt even hold that DL jock with Dunlap and Atkins.  
Reply/Quote