Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk cars
(02-29-2016, 02:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: On the particular Beetle in question, it had a "clutchless manual transmission".  It required you to physically shift, but there was no clutch.  My dad had all sorts of problems with one.

That was an "innovation" that didn't have all the "bugs" worked out when it was introduced.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 02:13 PM)McC Wrote: That was an "innovation" that didn't have all the "bugs" worked out when it was introduced.

Paddle shifter before its time
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 07:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Paddle shifter before its time

Yep.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Excuse me while I leave the smack talk forum and act like a regular guy here. Can't resist car threads...

The best car you ever had... Toss up between current 09 MDX, 1985 Honda Accord, and 2004 SL55 AMG. Had MDX since new and hasn't missed a beat. Still feels new to me.
Accord was first car ever that I owned that I didn't give a crap about. Didn't care if it was clean, didn't care if it was snowing, didn't care where I parked it. I just didn't care. It was liberating. Mercedes is just flat out fun to drive. Crazy amounts of torque and moves out for a 4000+ pound sled and not something you see everyday.

The worst car... Inherited my wife's 95 Blazer when we got married. Total junk.

Your first car... 69 Camaro

Brand loyalty... I guess it's Acura for now. We're on our 4th. We just keep going back and getting another when we need one. No reason to buy anything else

The cars your parents had when you were growing up... My dad's a Ford guy. Had a Maverick, Bronco, F150's, and several big block Galaxies.

Car stories... once slid on a patch of ice and hit the back end of a Cobra helio (true story, I swear, don't ask)

The rode trip I took in my... at 21 drove cross country in my friends IROC. He was being transferred to MIRMAR and I tagged along and caught a flight home.

I learned to drive in a... My dad is an old car guy. Drove everything he had. Big hi-performance full sized 60s sled. Everyday car was a Ford Bronco. Drove that the most.

I would never drive a... I'd drive anything. Don't care. Went to Miami in Sept and booked a Mini Cooper just because I had never driven one. They were out and I got stuck with a bright red Bug Convertible. Sucked it up drove it all weekend. It was either that or upgrade to the Corvette for another $200/day.

My first brand new car... 2005 Acura TL

My funniest car story... See above.
Reply/Quote
My first car all my own was a 1977 Chevy Nova I bought from a family member. It was brown with brown/beige plaid seats and an AM radio. It was hideous in every sense of the word, but clean and in great shape, and my gf (soon to be wife) was ok with it.

My favorite car growing up was our AMC Javelin. Everyon waxes nostalgic about the Pacer, but I loved the Javelin. It was bright red with black and white intertwinde stripes the length of the body. Looked like a big Coke can.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 02:13 PM)McC Wrote: That was an "innovation" that didn't have all the "bugs" worked out when it was introduced.

I c wut u did there..... Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 09:48 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Excuse me while I leave the smack talk forum and act like a regular guy here. Can't resist car threads...

No!  Absolutely not.....get yer ass outta here and back where you belong......

LMAO

Reply/Quote
The best car you ever had... My current one, 2012 Subaru Outback

The worst car... Well, I've had only three, so I'm going with my 1999 Ranger.

Your first car... 1996 Mercury Mystique. It was a hand-me-down

Brand loyalty... As you can see, I don't really have any. I definitely enjoy my Subaru, though, and can see myself being loyal to them in the long run. Unless of course I have enough for a BMW or Audi.

The cars your parents had when you were growing up... 1980-something Buick Century station wagon.

Car stories...
My best car stories involve cutting them open to extricate someone.

The road trip I took in my... I've never been on a road trip.

I learned to drive in a... 1992 Camry

I would never drive a... Smart Car

My first brand new car... I will let you know when I get one.
Reply/Quote
So, McC......you never told us your story.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 08:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: So, McC......you never told us your story.

Best car/first new car--2010 Civic EX-L--I might drive this car until I die.

Learned to drive in a '68 Mercury Monterey which later became my first car.  Took my driving test in a blizzard in that car.

My parents always had Fords.  My mom would have a car and my dad a truck or a van. 

The first day my dad had his first new van, he took me for a ride,  I was pretty young--maybe 8 or so.  Somewhere along the way to wherever we were going, he made a stop and I stayed in the van.  I was exploring the van, came to the cigarette lighter.  I push it in, it pops out.  I pull it out, accidentally touched the hot part with my hand, drop the lighter.  It lands on the driver's seat, burns a big hole in the brand new seat.  As one would imagine, I caught hell over that.  My dad remembered that until the day he died.

Worst car--1973 Mazda RX 3.  Anybody know the name Wankel?  Rotary engine.  Very fast.  Problem was, every time you shifted, it backfired.  I'm talking LOUD.  Heart attack loud.

This car ate fuel pumps.  Electronic fuel pumps, mounted in the trunk.  The pumps would overheat and then shut down until it cooled off.  Eventually, after three or four three hundred dollar pumps, I came up with a bright idea to keep the pump cool.  I used one of those ice pack things for an Igloo cooler that you toss in the freezer overnight.  I would strap it right to the pump.  Worked like a charm.

Bought the car for 1500, put at least 5000 into it, sold it for 300 after the second replacement motor blew.

Road trip/funny car story--

The first year I went away to college, I had a month long Christmas break.  About the second week, a couple friends and I decided to take a road trip to, of all places, Pittsburgh, to see a friend who had moved down there after HS.  I grew up in northern NY, right on the Canadian border.  Snow was a fact of life.  Up there, it didn't snow inches, it snowed feet.

We take this trip in my friend's '65 Dodge Dart.  Good weather all the way down.  We stay in this big old house that was supposedly one of Foghat's houses.  It was a dump but there was musical equipment everywhere.  Our buddy told us he lived there for nothing in exchange for being the care taker of the house.  Judging by the condition of the place, he didn't do much care taking.  But Foghat was rarely ever there, so the place was basically his.

We spend a few days there, great time had by all.  We leave on a cold sunny day.  Pittsburgh had snow but not our kind of snow.  The roads were clear and what snow they had was melting.

By the time we get to NY, it was snowing.  By the time we got to Rochester, you couldn't even see to drive.  We were the only ones out there.  We crawl along until it is snowing so hard, you can't see past the hood and the wipers couldn't keep up.

We decide to pull over.  Up there, everybody carried blankets in their car.  You break down when it's 20 or 30 below, there's a good chance you freeze to death.

So we pull over, get out the blankets, go to sleep.  It was cold but we were bundled up pretty well.  We go to sleep.

I open my eyes, it's daylight.  All I can see out the windows are walls of snow.  I wake up the other two.  We have to dig our way out with a scraper.  After about an hour and very little progress, we start hearing voices outside.  We start blowing the horn. 

It was a state trooper and a plow driver.  They dig us out.  We get out of the car to find we were in the center lane of the expressway. 

Reply/Quote