Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Let's talk some Jackson Carman
IF the following players come along by season's end, this team will be in really good shape not only for hopefully a postseason appearance, but next year as well:
- Carman
- Hopkins
- Waynes (or Apple)

If all that happens, I'd for once be able to say basically every position starter would be decent or better.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 11:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IF the following players come along by season's end, this team will be in really good shape not only for hopefully a postseason appearance, but next year as well:
- Carman
- Hopkins
- Waynes (or Apple)

If all that happens, I'd for once be able to say basically every position starter would be decent or better.

I sincerely hope Waynes is not on this team next year. That money can be used so much better.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 08:16 PM)wanga Wrote: Doing very well IMO with a ton of upside. Marries in beautifully with the Chase pick as well.

Pretty amazing, the draft re-cap thus far:  
  • Round 1 • Pick 5 • WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU Tigers (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 2 • Pick 46 • OT Jackson Carman, Clemson Tigers (breakdown) (grade)- Quality Starter
  • Round 3 • 69 • DE Joseph Ossai, Texas Longhorns (breakdown) (grade)- Injured in preseason
  • Round 4 • Pick 111 • DE Cameron Sample, Tulane Green Wave (breakdown) (grade)- Solid rotational player
  • Round 4 • Pick 122 • DT Tyler Shelvin, LSU Tigers (breakdown) (grade)-Developmental DT
  • Round 4 • Pick 139 • OT D’Ante Smith, ECU Pirates (breakdown) (grade)- Development OT that already impressed
  • Round 5 • Pick 149 • K Evan McPherson, Florida Gators (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 6 • Pick 190 • C Trey Hill, Georgia Bulldogs (breakdown) (grade)- Developmental C that already had solid play
  • Round 6 • Pick 202 • RB Chris Evans, Michigan Wolverines (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 7 • Pick 235 • DE Wyatt Hubert, Kansas State Wildcats (breakdown)- Injured.
  • When you factor in that you only get 7 picks to begin with and the Bengals ended up with 10 because of a Ryan Finley fleecing (I mean trade) of the Texans and sliding in round 2 to get 2 additional 4th rounders from the Pats, it is downright amazing.  Three certified studs, a quality starter, two other offensive lineman that have flashed.  A developmental DT that doesn't have to play right away and will be focusing on conditioning and strength.  We also saw that Ossai could also be a stud.  This draft class is contributing NOW.  They are just kids!  Amazing.  
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 12:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I sincerely hope Waynes is not on this team next year. That money can be used so much better.

I'd like to have Waynes as a starting CB if he could just stay on the field like he did in Minnesota.
Reply/Quote
I’m really impressed with Carman. I loved the Chase pick and was sure he was going to be good (not this good) but I was still concerned with the line. Carman developing along definitely makes me more confident.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 11:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Some folks just wanna be mad, but I do recall one of the bigger issues was that folks were upset about losing Sewell at #5 but were thinking Teven Jenkins would be a good 2nd rd consolation prize. We think trade out of that spot.

The trade netted us Carman, Shelvin, and D. Smith. So far, so good.  

Definitely.  In the next draft I would love to see the best available corner taken in RD1, then in Rounds 2, 3, 4 and maybe even 5 continue to beef up the lines.

Skills wise we are set for a number of years.  Continue to get better at the line of scrimmage and look out for years to come.

Makings already of a great young team so continue to build upon that through the draft now that we don't have glaring weaknesses.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd like to have Waynes as a starting CB if he could just stay on the field like he did in Minnesota.

Even if he plays (HUGE IF at this point), he’s not worth that type of money. It was an overpayment the moment they signed his deal. We have a true #1 CB in Chido for half the price. Use that money on a better Center, or to re-sign some of our own FA’s.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 12:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I sincerely hope Waynes is not on this team next year. That money can be used so much better.

Depending on if Carman comes along or not, I'd LOVE to get Wyatt Teller from the Browns, and I'd be all for moving on from Waynes to get Teller.

There's not really another CB I'd want in FA to replace Waynes with, nor is there a C I'd want in FA to replace Hopkins with other than maybe Jason Kelce (who is 34 years old).

I'd be ok with re-signing Reiff or maybe going after an external RT like Morgan Moses if Reiff wants to play elsewhere.

The Bengals are expected to have ~$60 mill (or more) in cap space next year with the rollover money, and they'd get up to $71+ mill if they let go of Waynes, so they should have plenty to re-sign all of their internal FAs, get maybe 1-2 really good external FAs, and then fill in the rest with the draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 09:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even if he plays (HUGE IF at this point), he’s not worth that type of money. It was an overpayment the moment they signed his deal. We have a true #1 CB in Chido for half the price. Use that money on a better Center, or to re-sign some of our own FA’s.

About the only C I'd be interested in from FA would be Jason Kelce, but he's 34 years old already.
Would you want Kelce, knowing that he may only have a couple years left?

I would think that if the Bengals finish the year with a winning record and the fact that the Kelces grew up in Westlake and played at UC, Jason Kelce might be willing to come play for the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 09:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: About the only C I'd be interested in from FA would be Jason Kelce, but he's 34 years old already.
Would you want Kelce, knowing that he may only have a couple years left?

I would think that if the Bengals finish the year with a winning record and the fact that the Kelces grew up in Westlake and played at UC, Jason Kelce might be willing to come play for the Bengals.

A quick google search tells me Titans center Ben Jones will be a FA. He’s currently grading out at 72.8 by PFF. He’s a couple years younger than Kelce, but yeah, unfortunately the FA center market is pretty slim pickings this year.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 10:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A quick google search tells me Titans center Ben Jones will be a FA. He’s currently grading out at 72.8 by PFF. He’s a couple years younger than Kelce, but yeah, unfortunately the FA center market is pretty slim pickings this year.

I did pass over Ben Jones when looking at the list, but yea, he's older just like Kelce.
I'd consider him too, but I dunno if he'd consider leaving TN.
The Titans will probably do whatever they can to keep him, as they've been contenders for a few years now and know that without good OL, their run game can't thrive as well.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

This is 2021 and not 2022, a long way to go.

I hope Waynes gets healthy, if not we are one starting CB away from seeing major issues possibly at CB. I have no trust in Phillips or Davis as a starting CB right now.

We can focus on 2022 in the off season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 11:07 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is 2021 and not 2022, a long way to go.

I hope Waynes gets healthy, if not we are one starting CB away from seeing major issues possibly at CB. I have no trust in Phillips or Davis as a starting CB right now.

We can focus on 2022 in the off season.

It’s a very good CB draft. And I don’t want to count on Waynes being healthy anymore than I want to see those other guys starting.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 11:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a very good CB draft. And I don’t want to count on Waynes being healthy anymore than I want to see those other guys starting.

Yeah, CB then OL def seem to be the way to go in next year's draft...LB / Wr depth would also be nice.   But as always, BPA baby...no need for pulling a Price, especially with where we sit currently.  
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty amazing, the draft re-cap thus far:  

• Round 1 • Pick 5 • WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU Tigers (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 2 • Pick 46 • OT Jackson Carman, Clemson Tigers (breakdown) (grade)- Quality Starter
  • Round 3 • 69 • DE Joseph Ossai, Texas Longhorns (breakdown) (grade)- Injured in preseason
  • Round 4 • Pick 111 • DE Cameron Sample, Tulane Green Wave (breakdown) (grade)- Solid rotational player
  • Round 4 • Pick 122 • DT Tyler Shelvin, LSU Tigers (breakdown) (grade)-Developmental DT
  • Round 4 • Pick 139 • OT D’Ante Smith, ECU Pirates (breakdown) (grade)- Development OT that already impressed
  • Round 5 • Pick 149 • K Evan McPherson, Florida Gators (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 6 • Pick 190 • C Trey Hill, Georgia Bulldogs (breakdown) (grade)- Developmental C that already had solid play
  • Round 6 • Pick 202 • RB Chris Evans, Michigan Wolverines (breakdown) (grade)- STUD
  • Round 7 • Pick 235 • DE Wyatt Hubert, Kansas State Wildcats (breakdown)- Injured.
  • When you factor in that you only get 7 picks to begin with and the Bengals ended up with 10 because of a Ryan Finley fleecing (I mean trade) of the Texans and sliding in round 2 to get 2 additional 4th rounders from the Pats, it is downright amazing.  Three certified studs, a quality starter, two other offensive lineman that have flashed.  A developmental DT that doesn't have to play right away and will be focusing on conditioning and strength.  We also saw that Ossai could also be a stud.  This draft class is contributing NOW.  They are just kids!  Amazing.  

Great breakdown brother and as you know I have very high hopes for Ossai. Think he could be great.

This could be our best Draft ever, saying a lot but could be. Also really like Wyatt and Shelvin could be a great NT for us.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 09:29 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Definitely.  In the next draft I would love to see the best available corner taken in RD1, then in Rounds 2, 3, 4 and maybe even 5 continue to beef up the lines.

Skills wise we are set for a number of years.  Continue to get better at the line of scrimmage and look out for years to come.

Makings already of a great young team so continue to build upon that through the draft now that we don't have glaring weaknesses.

I would like a great route running, pass catching TE somewhere in there even if right now Uzo is balling. 

But of course agree with your premise Daddy-O. Keep building up the trenches and we will keep winning. 

This is where you win games.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

That’s a sack last season…

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
That’s a sack last season…

Yep, that is also coaching. Great stunt pick up by Jackson there.

Was it Pollack that Carman was pointing at after his monster block on Brandon Williams to put the game away?

I keep asking this question but haven't heard an answer yet.
Reply/Quote
The Vet teaching the young one...another reason to like Quinton Spain

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote