Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let talk Tackles
(01-31-2021, 10:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I didn't mean to sound like I was dogging on you, or your personal opinion of the situation.  It just struck me while reading your post that for the past 3 seasons, when it's already in the tank, Hart and a few other shitty OL seem to all of a sudden "come to life".  I was just wanting to cement the sentiment that Hart's time for excuses is done, and he needs to be replaced by a competent NFL Tackle.

The previously mentioned got me to thinking about LT as well, and I realized that Jonah Williams hasn't exactly been "Superstar" quality, even when he has been healthy.  I'm beginning to think that he's just getting to benefit from looking good on a tremendous college team.

Okay.

Jonah actually looked fine out there before he got hurt - the major issue on the left side was MJ. MJ is incompetent as an NFL Offensive Lineman and the proof was in part the instant improvement when we got XSF back and when Spain dropped out of the sky. Really no LT will look great with someone like Jordan lined up next to them. 

Really we MUST fix the Guard spots so that our Center and Tackles can concentrate on playing those spots and not having to cover to their sides so much. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 10:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: Okay.

Jonah actually looked fine out there before he got hurt - the major issue on the left side was MJ. MJ is incompetent as an NFL Offensive Lineman and the proof was in part the instant improvement when we got XSF back and when Spain dropped out of the sky. Really no LT will look great with someone like Jordan lined up next to them. 

Really we MUST fix the Guard spots so that our Center and Tackles can concentrate on playing those spots and not having to cover to their sides so much. 

Jonah looked.. like a rookie, alright at best.  The dude is beat up from playing 4 years at Bama.  Bengals picked damaged goods, once again.  I'm saying, along with a couple of personal friends who were also OL, to pull Jonah into play Guard, allow him to heal, get some confidence back in his game, and then kick him out when the need arises.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 10:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: Okay.

I don't dispute that we need upgrades on the interior as well. IMHO we need at least 3 upgrades. Now whether that's RT, RG, C ? Or RG, LG, RT ? Or whatever combination ? I don't really care so much as about exactly who as I do we need some top tier talent. We've been plugging along with band-aids for 3 seasons or more.

It's time to push all the chips in on the Oline.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:11 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Well with not much new on here these days I was thinking about tackles. I really like what we have as backup tackle is Adenji and Big Fred. I feel once Adenji gets a couple years in an nfl weight room he has some serious potential. You cant teach great feet and he has them. Our big issue as we all know is at starting rt. I as well as most like Sewell at rt. Not big on moving Jonah there as he is a pass blocker and not a run blocker. The other name that comes up is Slater. I do like him as a tackle but not at all as a rt. He is a pass blocker and not a run blocker just like Jonah. We could always look at adding Moton in fa but if we cant land him I feel a guy like Mayfield would be a better fit at rt than Slater. What are everyones feelings on our backup tackles and a starting rt if we cant land Moton?

I think in terms of FA, Daryl Williams is a more realistic option for RT than Moton.
If looking at the draft, I like Christian Darrisaw if picking an OT in Rd 1 not named Sewell.
I like Teven Jenkins on Day 2.
Another option is moving Jonah Williams over to RT (he played there at Alabama) and get a new LT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think in terms of FA, Daryl Williams is a more realistic option for RT than Moton.
If looking at the draft, I like Christian Darrisaw if picking an OT in Rd 1 not named Sewell.
I like Teven Jenkins on Day 2.
Another option is moving Jonah Williams over to RT (he played there at Alabama) and get a new LT.

What about Slater? I was all in on Sewell but over the weekend I heard a couple different guys on TV say that some NFL teams (more than one) like Slater better than Sewell. Daniel Jeremiah has the Bengals taking Slater with Sewell still available. Not sure about that but I think they need to attack the OL in FA and open up the draft for BPA. (FA starts Geoff the draft, right?)
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 01:34 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: What about Slater?  I was all in on Sewell but over the weekend I heard a couple different guys on TV say that some  NFL teams (more than one) like Slater better than Sewell. Daniel Jeremiah has the Bengals taking Slater with Sewell still available.  Not sure about that but I think they need to attack the OL in FA and open up the draft for BPA. (FA starts Geoff the draft, right?)

Slater is pending for me based on his arm length. There's only 1 OT in PFF's Top 30 performers who has less than 33" arm length.
That's Braden Smith (OT, IND), who was a Guard entering the draft and was labeled as such.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 01:34 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: What about Slater?  I was all in on Sewell but over the weekend I heard a couple different guys on TV say that some  NFL teams (more than one) like Slater better than Sewell. Daniel Jeremiah has the Bengals taking Slater with Sewell still available.  Not sure about that but I think they need to attack the OL in FA and open up the draft for BPA. (FA starts Geoff the draft, right?)

I think they are higher on Slater simply because Sewell sat out last year and they didn't get to see him.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 03:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think they are higher on Slater simply because Sewell sat out last year and they didn't get to see him.

Slater sat out, too.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 08:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They may not have a choice. It could be either him or Curtis Samuel.

Moton is a RT.

They have 2 good WRs under contract next year already, I would think the tackle would be worth more than the WR, but hopefully they are foolish enough to sign the WR and let the tackle go.

We shall see. I am just stunned (as is most of their reporters it seems) that he is still without a contract. Just... bizarre.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Slater is liked a lot due to his versatility. He can play several different spot on the line. Also, the tape he has from shutting down Chase Young really got people excited.

He is a good prospect, but I'd still take Sewell and Darrisaw over him with our needs. We need a LT that is going to be the anchor. I think Jonah would be better at RT, and with him getting hurt each year now, I just feel better with a back-up at RT then at the blindside of our QB.

Regardless... Sewell, Slater, or Darrisaw would all be upgrades on this line. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I don’t mean to derail the thread but I thought I read tacos and not tackles.

Anyhow, this is a pretty good year for getting a tackle in FA or the draft . The worst outcome of is the bengals fail to address the OL and head into the draft forcing a tackle when a player like Chase, Pitts or even Farley, players who are incredible talents and great scheme fits, then maybe later they draft an OL that has really good upside in the middle rounds but needs to develop more.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 10:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I didn't mean to sound like I was dogging on you, or your personal opinion of the situation.  It just struck me while reading your post that for the past 3 seasons, when it's already in the tank, Hart and a few other shitty OL seem to all of a sudden "come to life".  I was just wanting to cement the sentiment that Hart's time for excuses is done, and he needs to be replaced by a competent NFL Tackle.

The previously mentioned got me to thinking about LT as well, and I realized that Jonah Williams hasn't exactly been "Superstar" quality, even when he has been healthy.  I'm beginning to think that he's just getting to benefit from looking good on a tremendous college team.

Bobby is a placeholder.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He was a stopgap from the Ogbuehi/Fisher disaster that has managed to hang on for longer than expected, for better or for worse.  He's replaceable.  Hell, he needs to be replaced if you're serious about having a good line at some point in 2021.  His defenders love to try and point out how he's not the worst player in the league at his position.  Well Yay!   

It's time to get serious at the RT spot and bring in the heir to Willie/Andre.  We've waited long enough.  The team has had ample time to find a way to get someone better than a stopgap dumpster dive.
Reply/Quote
If we sign Thuney and Morton we trade back and pick up one of bama's receivers or Pitts.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't dispute that we need upgrades on the interior as well. IMHO we need at least 3 upgrades. Now whether that's RT, RG, C ? Or RG, LG, RT ? Or whatever combination ? I don't really care so much as about exactly who as I do we need some top tier talent. We've been plugging along with band-aids for 3 seasons or more.

It's time to push all the chips in on the Oline.

I am with you that they need a guard as well as an OT to upgrade the line, but I am ok having Spain and XSF competing for the other Guard spot.  My dream is that they would sign Moton to play RT, but draft Spencer Brown in Rd 2 to develop behind him and then, when he is ready (2022, maybe mid-way through 2021?) move Moton to RG and have Brown take over at RT. 

That right side would be fierce. 

Watch the attached highlights from the Senior Bowl.  A few things you don't normally notice when talking about RTs:  speed and quickness.  He gets to his pass set so quickly.  He punches hard (notice several knees buckle) and in run blocking he in on the defender very quickly.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyqd_7ZdTgs&ab_channel=ScottKennedy

Even if they don't sign Moton, I would be thrilled with Chase in Rd 1, and Brown in Rd 2.  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 10:56 PM)samhain Wrote: Bobby is a placeholder.  

[Image: hey-you-fck-you-in-particular-28-photos-...info&w=600]

Reply/Quote
Has everyone watched this 2019 video breakdown of Sewell against Utah's Bradley Anae who was a 5th round draft pick?

Not as dominating as I think most people on this board would have expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASpzzm0wbE
Reply/Quote
If we came out of Free Agency with a real RT who can play on an island, a legit starter grade Guard and also resigning Spain and XSF we can go into the draft with some flexibility.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 07:53 AM)Mark123 Wrote: If we sign Thuney and Morton we trade back and pick up one of bama's receivers or Pitts.

IMO there is zero chance we sign both of those two. That’s not the Bengal way. One-tier one FA is the best case scenario.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 08:20 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Has everyone watched this 2019 video breakdown of Sewell against Utah's Bradley Anae who was a 5th round draft pick?

Not as dominating as I think most people on this board would have expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASpzzm0wbE

Sewell is a development pick. He won’t be contributing to a successful 2021 o-line IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 06:12 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Sewell is a development pick.  He won’t be contributing to a successful 2021 o-line IMHO.

I have to agree with you. That is why we have to strengthen our line in free agency with know commodities. We don't have the luxury of waiting for our number 1 draft pick to develop. JaMarr Chase or trade down may be the right pick.
Reply/Quote