Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lets Face It, Losing Jones and Sanu Hurts
It's the nature of the beast. That's the NFL.

It hurts but it's not the end of the world. You adjust and move on. Teams do it every year.

We're not going away. They've been predicting us out of the playoffs for the last five years and it hasn't happened yet.

The core is intact. It's gonna be okay.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Of, course, we all agree that the loss of Jones really hurts. Sanu, not so much, but still a loss.

So, unlike some have said on here, I do think we have to take a wide receiver with our first pick, unless there's a run on them early and there's just absolutely no one left. I'd even think about trading up in order to assure I was getting someone I wanted.

We have to have someone to take the burden off AJ Green for more than one reason. Yes, our offense will run far, far better with another good threat on the outside. But if we fail to establish that threat, it will lead to overuse of AJ, and expose him to a much greater chance of injury. Without AJ, even for just a few games, our offense would truly suffer, and getting back to the playoffs could become mission impossible, even with our outstanding defense.

We've got to go after this problem in an aggressive way. Marvin Jones, had (I think) 65 catches and some great plays. We needed that additional threat on the outside, and we should damn well do our best to replace it.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:34 PM)McC Wrote: It's the nature of the beast.  That's the NFL.  

It hurts but it's not the end of the world.  You adjust and move on.  Teams do it every year.  

We're not going away.  They've been predicting us out of the playoffs for the last five years and it hasn't happened yet.

The core is intact.  It's gonna be okay.

Well that's just great! Clapping

Now you've got me afraid the pundits are going to call us post season locks and we'll fall short!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: fixed it for ya

Thnx.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 06:16 PM)kevin Wrote: We are now in dire need of WR help or AJ Green will just be double covered, as when Jones and Sanu were injured.  If the Bengals hope to make it 6 play-off seasons in a row and try to win in play-offs before this team falls apart and needs rebuilt across the board, then getting top WR help for this season just became the primary goal. Bengals thought they could keep Jones, but they were wrong. Sanu did so much and that will be missed. ....I'm reading Bengals won't get a free agent WR. ....The draft better bring us lots of talent at WR, more than just one top WR, because we just lost 2 top WR.

Sure would of hurt us if we paid them like they got from other teams.
Reply/Quote
There's a decent chance (not 100%, but maybe 50%-ish) that James Wright will be good enough to basically replace Sanu. And, honestly, although Sanu is an NFL-quality receiver and a versatile player, he's not so skilled that the Bengals can't find anybody of comparable quality in free agency or the draft. But it will be hard to replace Jones, unless they hit on a draft pick, and generally receivers other than the obvious top-10-pick superstars take a year or three to develop.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:17 PM)DanTheBengalsFan Wrote: There's a decent chance (not 100%, but maybe 50%-ish) that James Wright will be good enough to basically replace Sanu. 

How can everyone completely forget how well Sanu played the first half of '14.   The chances that an injured 7th round pick with 5 career catches in two NFL seasons will ever play that well are not decent at all.  In fact they are down right indecent.

Sanu would not have gotten $6.5 million per year if he was as bad as some people here claim.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:10 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Why do people keep saying that Marvin Jones was the #3 or #4 receiving option? He had the 2nd most catches and receiving yards on the team. Eifert was 3rd and Gio was 4th, Sanu was 5th and Tate was like 99th. LOL

Eifert was thrown to more in the redzone, for obvious reasons.

We'll still need someone who can get open from the WR spot, otherwise, AJ Green is going to double coverage everywhere he goes.

Because he is the #3 target.  The only reason he had the 2nd most catches is because Eifert missed a few games.

He was the 3rd target which factored heavily into his decision to go to Detroit.
Reply/Quote
Like it or not the bengals organization, most notably the front office, has been working at a very high level for quite some time now. While I'm not in love with the idea of losing two wrs, I can't help but have faith that the organization will put together another well rounded football team that includes a solid group of wrs. This team and roster will be fine. We are in store for another exciting football season, count on it.

I honestly believe the only question next year will once again be, will they make a playoff run or be one and done again.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can everyone completely forget how well Sanu played the first half of '14.   The chances that an injured 7th round pick with 5 career catches in two NFL seasons will ever play that well are not decent at all.  In fact they are down right indecent.

Sanu would not have gotten $6.5 million per year if he was as bad as some people here claim.

Mo's production as a Reciever since that good run early in '14 has been just plain okay. Nothing special.

His value came with his versatility to play multiple positions since then.

Big mistake by the Falcons paying Mo that much dough Fred, mark me words.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Big mistake by the Falcons paying Mo that much dough Fred, mark me words.

I 100% agree that they overpaid.  

Just pointing out that Sanu is not as useless as some people try to claim.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I 100% agree that they overpaid.  

Yeah, i wanted Mo back, but not at that price.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can everyone completely forget how well Sanu played the first half of '14.   The chances that an injured 7th round pick with 5 career catches in two NFL seasons will ever play that well are not decent at all.  In fact they are down right indecent.

Marvin Jones was a 5th round pick.  T.J. Houshmandzadeh was, at one point early in his career, an injured 7th round pick.  The Bengals are high on Wright.  Sure, they miss sometimes on players they like - we all remember Hobson talking up Armon Binns as though he would be the next Larry Fitzgerald - but other times they turn into Marvin Jones and T.J. Houshmandzadeh.  If the coaches put the guy on the field, let's give him a chance to show what he can do before we consign him to oblivion.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I 100% agree that they overpaid.  

I wouldn't consider him useless. I do believe he struggled mightily at getting separation and in my opinion that will probably never change. 

Now for the opinion  that is going to get killed on here. I believe, while AJ Green is great and I love having him as our #1 wr, that Julio jones is better. Could this elevate sanus play? I suppose it could but I doubt it, If only because the difference between julio and aj isn't all that big. Time will tell but I can be put smack dab into the middle of the "they paid too much" camp.

Reply/Quote
I feel that the reason why Andy was so good last season was in part because of the offensive talent around him especially at the skills position. Loosing both Jones and Sanu will hurt this team because it hurts Andy a lot. Then when you add the loss of Hue Jackson on it puts more on Andy's plate.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:42 PM)DanTheBengalsFan Wrote: Marvin Jones was a 5th round pick.  T.J. Houshmandzadeh was, at one point early in his career, an injured 7th round pick. 

Housh had 61 receptions in his first two seasons

Jones had 69.

Wright had 5.
Reply/Quote
Both of those guys got overpaid and should land us decent comp picks next year. Im ok with them leaving. We still have our number 1 and 2 targets. Draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd and we will be good.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
A big chunk of that falling sky just hit me in the head.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Not from a good team.  I heard the Pats were interested.  I bet it was nowhere near what he got from Atlanta.  Overpaying mediocre players in FA is why the Falcons suck....  One of the reasons anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We have to replace 98 catches 1210 yards and 4 TDs.

I dont think that is an insurmountable task. If we get 40-50 catches 600 yards and 2 TDs from a rookie we are half way there.

Krofts load gets heavier. Time to finally give Burkhead more than 3 touches a year. What is Uzi? Eifert could definitely improve his numbers aside from TDs. Gio and Hill on the field at the same time needs to happen. I wont be complaining if Gio is getting more catches.

The Pats had a really bad WR situation. And the panthers and the packers. Seattles WRs? The steelers lost mike wallace and emmanuel sanders and survived. KC was rolling with Maclin and not much else.

Having a stud WR and stud TE means a lot. It would have been nice to keep MLJ, definitely would have helped open the draft for us. But not the end of the world.
Reply/Quote