Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lets Learn Saving Tips Together
Tiger

I feel for the independents out there trying to grab a load and make a living. I feel for people like myself trying to do it everyday for a family! You can run from taxes for so long but not gas prices. If you have a premium only car... Im praying for you!
https://nypost.com/2022/06/04/gas-nears-10-a-gallon-at-california-station-tops-5-in-nyc/

Reply/Quote
Thanks and that does indeed suck for those that need to drive much.

I have a gas guzzler, but since i get the joy of working from home for the last two years, i was totally unaware of the gas prices til about 3 weeks after they upped. I only fill up about that often..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Still cheap comparing to us.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Laughing in EV
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 12:28 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Laughing in EV

You won't be laughing, when it comes time to replace those batteries..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 01:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You won't be laughing, when it comes time to replace those batteries..

Genuine question here. How often do you need to replace those batteries? A quick google search says between 300k-500k miles. I have had my car for six years now and don't even have 80k on it yet. If that is true, you'd have to replace the car before the battery.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 01:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Genuine question here. How often do you need to replace those batteries? A quick google search says between 300k-500k miles. I have had my car for six years now and don't even have 80k on it yet. If that is true, you'd have to replace the car before the battery.

I'm not sure. I just saw an article last week drawing attention to how costly replacing the batteries on an EV is.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Time for a MotorCycle.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 01:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Time for a MotorCycle.

Can't a routine fender bender lead to massive hospital bills when you're on a motorcycle, though?  
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 01:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Genuine question here. How often do you need to replace those batteries? A quick google search says between 300k-500k miles. I have had my car for six years now and don't even have 80k on it yet. If that is true, you'd have to replace the car before the battery.

That or about 20 years, depending on the care you exercise. Degradation is a concern that people thinking of switching to EV do need to take into consideration though. 

(05-24-2022, 01:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Time for a MotorCycle.

I sold mine last year unfortunately. Some dude cut in front of me (don't think he even saw me) and I had a "I have kids to raise" moment. 

As for the OP, there are ways to help yourself out that don't involve big purchases. My household is mixed, I have an EV and my wife a midsize SUV that is admittedly more convenient for family outings. I have noticed that driving on the same roads and in the same conditions, I will consistently get at least 10-15% better fuel economy than my wife. Paying attention to your speed, acceleration, deceleration etc. can be effective. Every little bit helps nowadays. 

But still, I crunched the numbers. My EV costs about two cents a mile. My wife's car? About 15 cents.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 03:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Can't a routine fender bender lead to massive hospital bills when you're on a motorcycle, though?  

Not much fender to bender on a bike. 
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 03:25 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I sold mine last year unfortunately. Some dude cut in front of me (don't think he even saw me) and I had a "I have kids to raise" moment. 

That's why Im not getting a bike again anytime soon. I've seen my wife's choices in men before she met me. Yeah, they ain't raising my kids. Although it would be tough to do from the penitentiary. 
Reply/Quote
I guess this is a pro of being banished to WFH since March 2020. I'm gassing up like once a month and never really notice these prices....well until the last couple months.

Humble (or shameful) brag: I went exactly 2 years (to the day) between oil changes because i drove so little. It was something like 3100 miles.

Inversely, my daughter has gotta be putting 300 miles a week in her car and I know she's paying for it.

Gas prices are stupid...but the price of a lot of things is pretty stupid right now.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Its just hard to afford this for families already struggling to get by but its 4.88 in where I reside but that high for my F150!
Reply/Quote
I hate bringing it up, but the green revolution that I would love to see come to be isn't happening any time soon.. There's simply not enough copper being mined, but it's not just copper needed.. Most of the minerals required are not in friendly lands for US consumers or anyone else. Way too many supply lines and Russia would have to be the biggest of them all...About the only one is silicone for solar panels, but that requires a LOT of heat and filth to process the silicone to the proper grade necessary to mass produce enough of them.
That said..start walking, bicycling and eat a whole lot less.. 
The good news for US citizens is we'll be far less energy reliant on global energy than any other nation on earth. We have the technology and the tech companies and we have two GIANT motes protecting us from attack not to mention the worlds most advanced military and industrial capacity to knock out more. There is a price to pay for all this, but it sure beats living where supply lines are only going to get worse with time. 
Russia and China are going into serious economic decline in the coming years. 
Watch Pete Zeihan on youtube.. The guy is part prophet of doom and part extreme optimist for the US economy compared to the rest of the world and he ain't wrong.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_gw4eTr-hM
Even better.. https://youtu.be/qWyhKobyM68
I really encourage you to watch this guy because he bursts a lot of pie in the sky notions about the future..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 03:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Can't a routine fender bender lead to massive hospital bills when you're on a motorcycle, though?  

Are we here to save gas money or not lol.

But yes wrecking on a bike would be bad. But the Hospital bills are only big if you are at fault
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 08:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Are we here to save gas money or not lol.

But yes wrecking on a bike would be bad.   But the Hospital bills are only big if you are at fault

Just don't get hit by anyone who can afford a good lawyer. And have the type of insurance that actually pays when they're supposed to. 

A lotta what ifs, there.  In just sayin!
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 08:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Are we here to save gas money or not lol.

But yes wrecking on a bike would be bad.   But the Hospital bills are only big if you are at fault

"The cemetary is full of people who weren't at fault" rings especially true for bikers.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 01:49 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: "The cemetary is full of people who weren't at fault" rings especially true for bikers.

Hey then you dont have to worry about the bills or the gas prices.
Reply/Quote