Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets make a trade
(08-20-2016, 04:13 PM)treee Wrote: The best value we'd ever get for AJ is probably to a (probably wildcard) playoff team who's starting QB is injured going into the first playoff game.

That'd be past the trade deadline.

The trade deadline is actually the main reason more trades don't happen. Last year the Bengals just finished their 8th game in Week 9 when the trade deadline happened. So most teams are only 8 games into their season when the trade deadline happens.

But yeah, if a playoff hopeful team had their QB get hurt in Week 7 or 8, that'd be when McCarron would have the most value. Like the Palmer/Raiders situation.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 03:35 PM)J24 Wrote: If we trade AJ it will be before the draft or free agency and will probably only get a mid round pick for him or maybe a third.

Matt Schaub was traded for two 2nd's.

Kevin Kolb was traded for Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2nd round pick.

I'm kinda curious as to why you have McCarron's value so low.  Personally, I wouldn't bet at all shocked to see a team give up as high as a late first for him.
Reply/Quote
I like having 2 good QB's

most teams would love to have our QB situation 

hang on to AJ as long as you can and trade him when/if you have to

maybe Andy hits the FA market and we go with AJ.......he would be much cheaper
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That'd be past the trade deadline.

The trade deadline is actually the main reason more trades don't happen. Last year the Bengals just finished their 8th game in Week 9 when the trade deadline happened. So most teams are only 8 games into their season when the trade deadline happens.

But yeah, if a playoff hopeful team had their QB get hurt in Week 7 or 8, that'd be when McCarron would have the most value. Like the Palmer/Raiders situation.

Of course, if we traded McCarron the whole purpose of having a quality backup QB would be wasted right then and there.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 10:28 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I was thinking we should trade Dalton, mccarron, wenning and lacata for a chance to talk to Troy smith about coming out of retirement. GO BUCKS!

What's Bobby Hoying up to these days?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 07:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Of course, if we traded McCarron the whole purpose of having a quality backup QB would be wasted right then and there.

Not saying I am advocating trading McCarron mid-season, just stating what would and wouldn't work hypothecially.

I wasn't against it around draft time, because it would have allowed the Bengals to get another good draft pick and they'd have time to prepare another quality backup. During the season though, unless they are absolutely blown away by an offer (1st and 2nd like Palmer), I wouldn't move McCarron until after the postseason. Then you have a full offseason to prepare a new backup.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 05:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: First off yes im a buckeye fan but im looking at quality recievers and yeah he has shown things worth trading for in his first preseason game 4 reception 67 yards on a diving catch and a jump ball i would trade boyd for him right now when deandre hopkins compares himself to you you know your good...look i love boyd but the thing that worries me simulated games preseason is he only gets 2-3 catches a game especially with laffell out he should be gettin at least 5 and the reason we need to trade mccarron is hes gonna be a starter obviously so we need to trade him before we lose him for nothing so why not get a guy who looks physically like aj green bc i guarentee if we had drafted micheal thomas instead of boyd this board would be going nuts saying oh we got 2 legit number 1 recievers this and that but since we didnt draft him im an osu homer? No i recognize talent period and eapeciallly since in my opinion lafell wont be here next year why not

NOBODY shows things in the first preseason game that merits trading a bunch of picks or players for a rookie.  Sorry...  It just doesn't work that way.  Let's see him play in a REAL game against real defenses and real game plans before going down that road.
Reply/Quote
Was all for trading McCarron for a high draft pick in off season. But that ship has sailed in my opinion until after the season now.

Would be hard to get a good back up in here now to learn playbook. Plus he is a solid backup.

But will have to move him eventually or watch him walk for free to become starter elsewhere.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 01:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Was all for trading McCarron for a high draft pick in off season. But that ship has sailed in my opinion until after the season now.

Would be hard to get a good back up in here now to learn playbook. Plus he is a solid backup.

But will have to move him eventually or watch him walk for free to become starter elsewhere.

This. If he has the potential that he has shown up to this point we will have to unload him to a desperate team mid-season when his value is the highest or pay him more than most would be comfortable with to be the backup. Not much wiggle room there.
Reply/Quote
Mikey isn't a flesh trader.. The million or so McCarron trades ain't happening folks.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Okay so according to these posts im just an osu guy through and through the facts why we do this deal. 1. We need to get something for mccarron before he leaves and this is for next year not this year by the way. 2. Whose our reciever next year? Core? Maybe maybe maybe not Laffell will be gone boyd is a borderline 2/ amazing 3 but we need a legit number 2 thomas is that guy. Way it makes sense for the saints 1. Micheal thomas is number 4 on their depth chart may not even play. 2. Brees is getting old and they need a young qb like mccarron for when brees retires. And from both points of view the trade makes sense thomas actually play has a good year we get a legit number 2 wr while saints get a couple picks and a proven backup and a quality starter so whats not to like? And for the people calling me a osu homer im a way more hardcore fan for the bengals than the buckeyes and i do my research and coming out of the draft he was said to have aj green like hands when it comes to the hugh pount catching if balls plus he has wr genes in his family and he was said to be the most pro ready so why not? We will not have a number w next year and out of all the recievers in the nfl who we could legitimately get with the pieces of trading value that we have(imo mccarrons it) he is the best option avaliable. That is all i was saying by this post and im labeled to be an osu homer bc i make 2 posts trying to get rid of mccarron and in this one an actual position of need to be filled by actual talent where both teams get what yhey need.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:05 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Okay so according to these posts im just an osu guy through and through the facts why we do this deal. 1. We need to get something for mccarron before he leaves and this is for next year not this year by the way. 2. Whose our reciever next year?  Core? Maybe maybe maybe not Laffell will be gone boyd is a borderline 2/ amazing 3 but we need a legit number 2 thomas is that guy. Way it makes sense for the saints 1. Micheal thomas is number 4 on their depth chart may not even play. 2. Brees is getting old and they need a young qb like mccarron for when brees retires. And from both points of view the trade makes sense thomas actually play has a good year we get a legit number 2 wr while saints get a couple picks and a proven backup and a quality starter so whats not to like? And for the people calling me a osu homer im a way more hardcore fan for the bengals than the buckeyes and i do my research and coming out of the draft he was said to have aj green like hands when it comes to the hugh pount catching if balls plus he has wr genes in his family and he was said to be the most pro ready so why not? We will not have a number w next year and out of all the recievers in the nfl who we could legitimately get with the pieces of trading value that we have(imo mccarrons it) he is the best option avaliable. That is all i was saying by this post and im labeled to be an osu homer bc i make 2 posts trying to get rid of mccarron and in this one an actual position of need to be filled by actual talent where both teams get what yhey need.

After two preseason games, it's impossible to determine if another team's #4 WR is our #2 for the next 3+ years.  If Bennett was worth what you're willing to give up for him, he wouldn't be a #4.

We know that if Dalton goes down for an extended period of time, McCarron can keep the team competitive.  If you're trading him this year, you need to get dividends this year, because you're creating a hole this year to fill one next year.

Next year, LaFell could be reupped, Boyd and/or Core could have proven themselves as the #2, or we get another in FA or the draft.

Quality backup QB's are a lot harder to come by than quality #2 WR's.  Proven quality backup QB's are much higher value than unproven #2 WR prospects with less than 45 minutes of game film against backups.  

Highly drafted rookies are almost never traded in year 1 unless they can't agree to contract terms.

Scouting reports mean zip.  Brian Robiskie was another Buckeye who was supposed to be the most pro ready WR in his draft class.  How did that turn out?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 04:11 AM)Whatever Wrote: After two preseason games, it's impossible to determine if another team's #4 WR is our #2 for the next 3+ years.  If Bennett was worth what you're willing to give up for him, he wouldn't be a #4.

We know that if Dalton goes down for an extended period of time, McCarron can keep the team competitive.  If you're trading him this year, you need to get dividends this year, because you're creating a hole this year to fill one next year.

Next year, LaFell could be reupped, Boyd and/or Core could have proven themselves as the #2, or we get another in FA or the draft.

Quality backup QB's are a lot harder to come by than quality #2 WR's.  Proven quality backup QB's are much higher value than unproven #2 WR prospects with less than 45 minutes of game film against backups.  

Highly drafted rookies are almost never traded in year 1 unless they can't agree to contract terms.

Scouting reports mean zip.  Brian Robiskie was another Buckeye who was supposed to be the most pro ready WR in his draft class.  How did that turn out?
Im talking for next year bc someone will offer him osweiler money so i wanna get something for him and personally i dont think lafell is any better than a tate so i dont think he will be reupped listen i love mccarron but were not gonna be able to keep him to sit on the bench as a backup nust like marvin jones we offered him the same contract but in detroit hes number 1 reciever and im sorry but if we let laffell go were bankin on core to be our 2 hope he proves me wrong 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 11:07 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: They have a great QB who was lacking weapons to win now, so they got him one.

Make the trade, and they are back to needing weapons to win now, but have a potential QB replacement.

Why would they not want to keep their new weapon who is so great we should overpay for him (premise of the thread), and then either trade picks for McCarron in the 2017 season or get him outright in FA just after?  

They had a great QB.  Brees is near the end of his run.  But there isn't any team that would rather have a franchise QB over a franchise WR.  Again, I stated clearly I thought the idea was a poor one, but a QB is the most important facet of any team.  
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 03:35 PM)J24 Wrote: If we trade AJ it will be before the draft or free agency and will probably only get a mid round pick for him or maybe a third.

I would be very surprised if they would let him walk for just that over the security of having a really good backup QB that knows your system.  
Reply/Quote
Lemme put it to you this way.

Lets say your trade happens and then Dalton gets hurt.

You really think Chris Wenning can even get the ball out to Thomas?

If you created this post like week 5... and we are struggling on offense, and Thomas has like 450 yards and a few TDS then SURE. People would probably be more on board. This early in the preseason though, a lot of your reasoning is speculation on hypothesis.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 12:36 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lemme put it to you this way.

Lets say your trade happens and then Dalton gets hurt.

You really think Chris Wenning can even get the ball out to Thomas?

If you created this post like week 5... and we are struggling on offense, and Thomas has like 450 yards and a few TDS then SURE. People would probably be more on board. This early in the preseason though, a lot of your reasoning is speculation on hypothesis.

Yeah that is all this it that is all preseason is in general to be honeat and as i have previously stated in this thread this is a trade for next year. Not this year 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:24 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Yeah that is all this it that is all preseason is in general to be honeat and as i have previously stated in this thread this is a trade for next year. Not this year 

Tyler Boyd will make you forget you ever wanted Thomas by next season. I personally don't think AJM is as hot of a commodity as some of us think he is. He played OK when his number was called. I know teams do some desperate shit for a QB sometimes... I'll give you that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:13 PM)treee Wrote: The best value we'd ever get for AJ is probably to a (probably wildcard) playoff team who's starting QB is injured going into the first playoff game.

Except the fact that the trade deadline had way passed at that point.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 08:01 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Im talking for next year bc someone will offer him osweiler money so i wanna get something for him and personally i dont think lafell is any better than a tate so i dont think he will be reupped listen i love mccarron but were not gonna be able to keep him to sit on the bench as a backup nust like marvin jones we offered him the same contract but in detroit hes number 1 reciever and im sorry but if we let laffell go were bankin on core to be our 2 hope he proves me wrong 

McCarron has two years left on a 4 year deal, though.  You hold onto him this year, trade him next year for picks and use one of them to draft a new #2 WR if you have to.
Reply/Quote