Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets take a quick thought at how ZT is building the roster
(04-30-2019, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it is still Duke Tobin's draft, but I also think he asked Taylor what he wanted and went out and got it for him. He used to ask Marvin what he wanted, but never saw "do better" on the big board anywhere....

It didn't take a genius to take Jonah, Sample has Zac written all over it, Pratt was another no brainer. I think whoever was in charge of the draftdid the team a big favor by letting the draft come to them. I have wondered if Marvins penchant for not playing rookies was his way of rebelling against the picks others made.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:39 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: So, it’s been established that the Rookie HeadCoach is responsible for drafting these guys? I’m sure that he had some input but I’m not sold on he drafted these guys.

I think he did

I'm a firm believer that Mike Brown is still running this team despite all the Katie, Troy, Duke talk. I believe MB let ZT pick his staff with very little resistance. Mike knew changes had to be made and he let him make them.

Duke is not in any real way a GM and let's face it this team is still reeling from the 2015 draft and some decisions made after it. I think Duke's influence has faded a bit from it whether he was responsible for it all or not. I'd say he was heavily involved in the scouting but I think ZT was more in control of the trigger.

I believe the only thing MB put his foot down on was free agency. And this wasn't the greatest of years for free agency anyways. The only real move thus far that I question is Bobby Hart.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Zac had a final say over Tobin at least for this draft
maybe at some point MB was on the fence and maybe the whole
Mark Walton situation tipped the scales in favor of Taylor
on final say on the big board.
would not be surprised if this draft is overall success
that Tobin ends up leaving not wanting to play 2nd banana to Taylor
in the makeup of this roster...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 09:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think he did

I'm a firm believer that Mike Brown is still running this team despite all the Katie, Troy, Duke talk. I believe MB let ZT pick his staff with very little resistance. Mike knew changes had to be made and he let him make them.

Duke is not in any real way a GM and let's face it this team is still reeling from the 2015 draft and some decisions made after it. I think Duke's influence has faded a bit from it whether he was responsible for it all or not. I'd say he was heavily involved in the scouting but I think ZT was more in control of the trigger.

I believe the only thing MB put his foot down on was free agency. And this wasn't the greatest of years for free agency anyways. The only real move thus far that I question is Bobby Hart.

It's been reported that Mike prefers a committee approach.  He likes to have everyone in the room be able to speak their piece and come to a consensus as a group.  We're actually the only team that allows the position coaches in the draft room.  If a consensus can't be reached, then Mike will make the call.   For example, he made the call on Ross because Duke was pushing hard for Ross while Marvin reportedly wanted Reuben Foster. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 11:02 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's been reported that Mike prefers a committee approach.  He likes to have everyone in the room be able to speak their piece and come to a consensus as a group.  We're actually the only team that allows the position coaches in the draft room.  If a consensus can't be reached, then Mike will make the call.   For example, he made the call on Ross because Duke was pushing hard for Ross while Marvin reportedly wanted Reuben Foster. 

Scary, we picked 9th and both these guys to date were bad choices. Shame they did not trade down and add more picks if they were not solid on 1 guy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Scary, we picked 9th and both these guys to date were bad choices. Shame they did not trade down and add more picks if they were not solid on 1 guy.

I never pay any attention to rumours like this.

I remember how Mike Brow was supposed to have wanted Ryan Mallett in the 2011 draft.  Then later they claimed he wanted Kaepernick.  I don't think any of them have any credibility.
Reply/Quote
Let's hope this trend continues next off season. in 2018 the Rams traded for two All Pro CBs (Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib) signed an All Pro free agent DT (Suh) and added a WR coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons (Brandin Cooks).
Reply/Quote
I'm saying Zack had to have more say in this draft simply because he worked hands on with the offense, publicly said the blocking had to improve and it was a priority, and then in the draft we take two linemen and an inline TE. Now I agree Jonah Williams was obvious and the scouts who lowered his rank because his wingspan was 1 inch less than their special requirements are going to look foolish. He is by far the best OT to come out in years and the best technician since Joe Thomas. But add in Sample and Jordan and it is pretty clear there was a thrust in the draft towards improving the blocking up front.
Reply/Quote
If you're wondering who made the draft picks, ask yourself this: do you think Mike Brown would willingly draft two offensive lineman after writing checks to Hart and Miller a few weeks ago?

He's not calling the shots.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 11:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: well its a few months till.training camp. Free agency period
is taking a nap and the draft is still.fresh on our minds.
I figure to kill time we could look at the roster and how its shaping up.

so 2 years ago the Rams draft Everett TE,Kupp WR, LB Ekuban (sp)
Johnson SS.(all starters)
a few years prior the Rams signed Whit in free agency bring leadership.and rock solid LT
in 2018 they address a weak part of the defense and acquire Talib and Peters.

so Taylor identifies the Bengals glaring weakness that being the oline.
so what does he do.
signs John Miller. makes Williams his 1st pick as Bengals HC to give the oline a cornerstone.
his 2nd RD pick is a TE that is effective as a inline blocker and possible red zone threat
so he comes to Cincy and already has some nice pieces in place.

Donald
Atkins

Kupp
Boyd

Cooks
Ross

Everett
(Sample Eifert)

then he drafts a Michael Brockers type in Rennell Wren.
RD 4 he drafts Germaine Pratt LB.

so it looks like to me Taylor before he took this job saw that some of the
players in place at least talent wise mirror what the Rams already had.
I see a similiar blueprint in Cincy that he saw take place in LA.

Nice thread, also think Taylor is building that new culture that this Franchise desperately needed. He talks about building the culture anew which is extremely refreshing. Getting Jonah and Sample really helps the O-line not even mentioning Jordan. Having a new LB coach to work with Pratt and the boys makes me think that Linebacker will be muchly improved. All these guys are stand up individuals.

Wren has those talents that you just cannot teach, he has a great first step with amazing athleticism.

You look at the players that we already had in place and who he has added i think you make a great point, it is similar.

One thing i like about this roster compared to the Rams is Dalton compared to Goff and AJ Green compared to their Receivers. We saw in the Superbowl how Belichick was changing things up on Defense after McVay already called the play and then Goff was lost and he had no chance. Dalton is a smart QB that can make the audible that takes advantage of Defenses when they do this. AJ Green is better than all of the Rams Receivers honestly.

Also Gurley got overused and i bet Taylor learned from this and won't do the same with Mixon.

Hence the Trayveon and Anderson picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 02:14 PM)NKURyan Wrote: If you're wondering who made the draft picks, ask yourself this: do you think Mike Brown would willingly draft two offensive lineman after writing checks to Hart and Miller a few weeks ago?

He's not calling the shots.

A rookie who could let him get rid of a ten or seven million dollar OT. No Mike wouldn't do that. MB is the most savvy(cheap) owner in the league and taking care of dollar signs is what his main role in the Bengals FO is.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:39 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: So, it’s been established that the Rookie HeadCoach is responsible for drafting these guys? I’m sure that he had some input but I’m not sold on he drafted these guys.

Yep. Plus Jonah Williams fell to us. I mean it's great he did, but I don't know that we can read too much into his position. The BAP just had to be an area of need so we took him.

Miller is an average to below average Guard.

Comparing Ross and Cooks is pretty laughable.

But, I think Mixon and Gurley can be compared.

ZT was the low man on the totem pole at the Rams. I doubt that he had much say in their drafting.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:59 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: It didn't take a genius to take Jonah, Sample has Zac written all over it, Pratt was another no brainer. I think whoever was in charge of the draftdid the team a big favor by letting the draft come to them. I have wondered if Marvins penchant for not playing rookies was his way of rebelling against the picks others made.

Yes. That was my point too. Well said.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:59 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  I have wondered if Marvins penchant for not playing rookies was his way of rebelling against the picks others made.

1.  We have no idea how much influence Marvin had on the picks or if he was unhappy with any of them.

2.  Marvin did not have a "penchant for not playing rookies".  That is just a myth.  He played them all the time.  He often started rookies.
Reply/Quote
Thus far, I am very impressed with Coach Taylor. I think he has a great vision and I feel that building a "winning culture" is paramount among the things he wishes to accomplish. I definitely think the Bengals made a very wise choice in Coach Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  We have no idea how much influence Marvin had on the picks or if he was unhappy with any of them.

2.  Marvin did not have a "penchant for not playing rookies".  That is just a myth.  He played them all the time.  He often started rookies.

That's why I commented I wonder instead of I know. BTW if he didn't have a penchant for not playing rookies(i.e. Ross, Kirpatrick) he definitely had a penchant for not being able to coach players in big games. Also he is no longer our coach so you can kindly remove your rose colored glasses. If he was as good as you say he would have been snatched up by some other franchise by now instead of being an announcer for the defunct AAF.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:23 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  Also he is no longer our coach so you can kindly remove your rose colored glasses. 

No rose colored glasses.  Just the truth.  For some reason fans here think every other NFL team starts two or three rookies every year.  The fact is that a third to a half of first round picks will not start.

Teams with really bad records are more likely to be forced to start rookies, but Marvin started and played rookies and 2nd year players as much as the average NFL head coach.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 02:54 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Anyone know if the RB's we took late are known to be good blockers.

From Rotoworld.

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein said Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams "might be" the best pass blocking running back in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Williams (5'9/200) went to Twitter to declare himself as the top pass blocker in the class and encouraged draft analysts to "pull up this year's tape." Zierlein, of course, did grind the tape and walked away thinking that Williams is among the top of the class in that category, even as an undersized back. But it doesn't stop there. Williams set a Texas A&M school record with 1,760 rushing yards and caught 27 passes in 2018, leading him to the second most yards from scrimmage among the NFL Combine-invited running backs. He's earned a Day 2 selection, but he was recently mocked to Round 5 by Bleacher Report's Matt Miller.

Oh. He also had 1000 yards after contact and the most 10+ yard runs in the SEC by a mile.
Reply/Quote
Tobin helped lead the search for the head coach. While his speciality is player personnel. He didnt just lose all power to the coach he picked. ZT didnt come in here late after preparing for the super bowl and going through free agency and get to evaluate thoroughly all if these prosepects. He leaned heavily on Tobin and our scouting department.

I think ZT will have a little more input next year when it isnt a whirlwind offseason and he actually knows about the players on his own team.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Tobin helped lead the search for the head coach. While his speciality is player personnel. He didnt just lose all power to the coach he picked. ZT didnt come in here late after preparing for the super bowl and going through free agency and get to evaluate thoroughly all if these prosepects. He leaned heavily on Tobin and our scouting department.

I think ZT will have a little more input next year when it isnt a whirlwind offseason and he actually knows about the players on his own team.

And you know this how? Zac has been here since early February. That is almost three months. What do you think he has been doing during that time? You think he didn't scout players while he was with the Rams. I guess coming up with these kind of comments and professing them as truths without anything to back them up is just the new standard of the day.
Reply/Quote