Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting Zeitler walk isb a huge mistake.
If the Bengals let big Z walk, which I think he's as good as gone , they'll regret it. The guy has earned it, it's time to pay up . The salary cap keeps getting higher and higher, so there is literally no reason to let him walk. There hasn't even been talks about signing him yet.
Reply/Quote
"We retain our own guys, especially our productive first-rounders."

LOLnope.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:09 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: If the Bengals let big Z walk, which I think he's as good as gone , they'll regret it. The guy has earned it, it's time to pay up . The salary cap keeps getting higher and higher, so there is literally no reason to let him walk. There hasn't even been talks about signing him yet.

Money not spent on players stays with the owners. We are rarely challenged by the cap and I can't think of one case where we've cut a player for cap reasons. Maulauga could be cut and we'd have more cap room. Instead we'll keep him on and claim cap limits as a reason not to sign Zeitler even with plenty of room.

In about 4 or 5 weeks we are going to get our annual article from Hopspin saying how the team has 20M to spend in free agency, listing out an inflated rookie salary pool (because we have higher draft picks), rollover amount to presumably extend Eifert or someone else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:09 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: If the Bengals let big Z walk, which I think he's as good as gone , they'll regret it. The guy has earned it, it's time to pay up . The salary cap keeps getting higher and higher, so there is literally no reason to let him walk. There hasn't even been talks about signing him yet.

We reportedly over him 5.5 million before this season. That needs to be 8.5 most likely. We have 2 big free agents next year that's it!! and we have about 55 million this year if we cut malaluga tj Johnson and pat Sims
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 02:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Money not spent on players stays with the owners. We are rarely challenged by the cap and I can't think of one case where we've cut a player for cap reasons. Maulauga could be cut and we'd have more cap room. Instead we'll keep him on and claim cap limits as a reason not to sign Zeitler even with plenty of room.

In about 4 or 5 weeks we are going to get our annual article from Hopspin saying how the team has 20M to spend in free agency, listing out an inflated rookie salary pool (because we have higher draft picks), rollover amount to presumably extend Eifert or someone else.

This organization is a joke, and I can't stand hobson. What a puppet, he looks like a british virgin too, probably couldn't get laid in a morgue. 
Reply/Quote
I am iffy on Zeitler....I just think paying $10 million per year to an above average, but not dominant player doesn't make a lot of sense. I like him, but don't love him.

I think it was an interesting take that if Adam Jones is released, they could use that money on Zeitler....because, right or wrong, the Bengals almost never cut a player under contract. Look at what they paid Leon Hall last year. I would guess Zeitler walks and they draft a guard early....perhaps with the pick from an AJM trade.

FWIW, I think they will absolutely bring in a veteran CB as well. That is probably money better spent than on Zeitler. Before anyone screams about protecting Dalton, I think what Zeitler really lacks is the functional strength to be an elite RG and help in the running game. That player could be drafted, and this draft class is pretty deep with talent at Guard.
Reply/Quote
There could be a few options if Zeitler walks:
1) Go after a similar skilled player coming off rookie contract in either Chance Warmack or Larry Warford
2) Get an older stopgap RG in FA like Jahri Evans, Jermon Bushrod, or Byron Bell - this should be much cheaper and allow the Bengals to use the extra money saved toward another position. A mid-round OL pick could then be drafted to groom for a couple years before taking over.
3) Given the Bengals are drafting 9th, there aren't any Gs worth that high of a selection. However, what if the Bengals were to draft the top RT (either Ramczyk or Robinson) then move Fisher over to RG...or let that drafted OT play RG for a year or two? I'm not a fan of this option, but given what they did with Whitworth as a rookie, an idea like this wouldn't be completely out of nowhere.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Pay da man
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 02:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Money not spent on players stays with the owners. We are rarely challenged by the cap and I can't think of one case where we've cut a player for cap reasons. Maulauga could be cut and we'd have more cap room. Instead we'll keep him on and claim cap limits as a reason not to sign Zeitler even with plenty of room.

Don't forget injury settlements.  Those are usually good for 1/3 of the cap space.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I couldn't agree more. We also must realize that Zeitler may want to look at free agency because he wants to be on a contender.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Zeitler is gone, get used to it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
What I don't get is the strategy behind it. Drafting 2 tackles cuz you wanted to replace aging LT and let your RT walk so you could pay your high caliber guards...then they let the guard walk too...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
why waste a first round draft pick on a position you do not value and for which you have no intention of extending the player after his first contract?

They will let Z go and extend Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 11:47 AM)Synric Wrote: What I don't get is the strategy behind it. Drafting 2 tackles cuz you wanted to replace aging LT and let your RT walk so you could pay your high caliber guards...then they let the guard walk too...

If Ogbuehi and/or Fisher had panned out so far, this really wouldn't have been an issue. They've had two years to be groomed, but Ogbuehi looked bad so far and Fisher hasn't had enough snaps to feel confident that RT is solidified. Without Zeitler and Whitworth, the Bengals have question marks and/or bad performers at four of the five OL spots.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
maybe they intend on moving Ogbuehi to guard ?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I'm sure they have been working with his agent...

But hes not worth the franchise tag so if that's what it takes to keep him you let him walk.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 07:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am iffy on Zeitler....I just think paying $10 million per year to an above average, but not dominant player doesn't make a lot of sense.  I like him, but don't love him.  

I think it was an interesting take that if Adam Jones is released, they could use that money on Zeitler....because, right or wrong, the Bengals almost never cut a player under contract.  Look at what they paid Leon Hall last year.  I would guess Zeitler walks and they draft a guard early....perhaps with the pick from an AJM trade.  

FWIW, I think they will absolutely bring in a veteran CB as well.  That is probably money better spent than on Zeitler.  Before anyone screams about protecting Dalton, I think what Zeitler really lacks is the functional strength to be an elite RG and help in the running game.  That player could be drafted, and this draft class is pretty deep with talent at Guard.

This is exactly where I stand on this topic. I would love to have Zeitler at like $6-7m/yr, because I believe he's an above-average player, but he's just not dominate enough for me to ever want to make Zeitler 6% of my entire team's cap space (assuming the $168m number for 2017 is correct).

He never developed into that run game monster he was touted as in the draft. He's a good player, but not great, and doesn't make the guys around him better either. So $9-10m/yr is awfully iffy.

Of course the flip side being.. will the Bengals actually use that money to improve other parts of the team?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If they let Zeitler walk, that combined with current holes on line, mainly RT, C, LG. Exactly when will Dalton be put on IR? Do you think he makes it past week 1, or even week 6? Pass pro issues aside, if they let Zeitler walk, do you think the RBs have a yards per carry over 2.5 yards or under? I am going with under.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 01:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This is exactly where I stand on this topic. I would love to have Zeitler at like $6-7m/yr, because I believe he's an above-average player, but he's just not dominate enough for me to ever want to make Zeitler 6% of my entire team's cap space (assuming the $168m number for 2017 is correct).

He never developed into that run game monster he was touted as in the draft. He's a good player, but not great, and doesn't make the guys around him better either. So $9-10m/yr is awfully iffy.

Of course the flip side being.. will the Bengals actually use that money to improve other parts of the team?

Serious question: Do you think David DeCastro is much better than Zeitler or do you think they are similar in talent and production?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 07:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am iffy on Zeitler....I just think paying $10 million per year to an above average, but not dominant player doesn't make a lot of sense.  I like him, but don't love him.  

I think it was an interesting take that if Adam Jones is released, they could use that money on Zeitler....because, right or wrong, the Bengals almost never cut a player under contract.  Look at what they paid Leon Hall last year.  I would guess Zeitler walks and they draft a guard early....perhaps with the pick from an AJM trade.  

FWIW, I think they will absolutely bring in a veteran CB as well.  That is probably money better spent than on Zeitler.  Before anyone screams about protecting Dalton, I think what Zeitler really lacks is the functional strength to be an elite RG and help in the running game.  That player could be drafted, and this draft class is pretty deep with talent at Guard.

that OG we drafted last year is suppose to be crazy strong,.  Westerman or something like that...

Id rather spend Zs money on bringing in a functional center.
Reply/Quote