Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis Approach
So many things have been said about Marvin, 90% bad, so I'd like to add some of the 10%.

I was watching one of the post game locker rooms clips on the website and one of the things he said, brought back what has been pounded into me, by my father/managers/coaches, since I was 9, in the sport of baseball.

Lewis told the team, "You came in here quietly, now let's leave quietly!"  

For me, it was profound because, I believe, and was taught, that running your mouth can never 'gains' your team anything.  Most of the time, it will come back to bite you with a smart manager (coach) on the other side using it to fire his team up.

Kudos to Marvin.
Reply/Quote
I love it! Act like you’ve been there before!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm more of the cheery type, so I would prefer they celebrate boisterously. Cheers Drunk Wasted

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 10:54 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'm more of the cheery type, so I would prefer they celebrate boisterously.  Cheers  Drunk  Wasted

I coach little league football and that's a common theme. I personally do it like Marv, because sometimes it gets over the top and annoying. Better to just leave with a win and let the pads do the talking. That's what I tell my players. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 10:54 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'm more of the cheery type, so I would prefer they celebrate boisterously.  Cheers  Drunk  Wasted

The point has nothing to do with hindering celebration, rather, celebrate all you want in the locker room and when you get back to Cincy, but once we leave the locker room, we leave quietly, not running our mouths in any venue.
Reply/Quote
That's one thing about Marv I've always liked and respected. He's always preaching to act like you've been there before.
Reply/Quote
Be respectful and act like you've actually earned the respect instead of acting like you think you're entitled to it.. Unlike a certain other team who does precisely the opposite . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Treat it like it’s the expected result. A winning culture expects to win and doesn’t accept less. I can’t stand the Dre type theatrics, it’s immature. Players should have fun and celebrating is fine but it’s easy to go overboard. I’ve never liked anything “me” in team sports. Honestly, the Dre types look more goof troop than professional.
Reply/Quote
Good advice from Merv. Just another day at work.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 10:36 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Lewis told the team, *giggle giggle* "You came in here quietly, now let's leave quietly!"  *giggle giggle giggle*

fixed it for you buddy!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 02:41 PM)grampahol Wrote: Be respectful and act like you've actually earned the respect instead of acting like you think you're entitled to it.. Unlike a certain other team who does precisely the opposite . 

You mean that team that has beaten us 9 out of the last 10 times we've played them?  Listen, I appreciate the sentiment Marvin is pushing here, but if we are a humble team and the Steelers are a bunch of loudmouths...well, then I'd say success goes to the team with the most swagger.

Remember "swagger?"  Fandom is quite the funny thing.  At one point we are sick of seeing Marvin "not care" and we are dying to see our players show some confidence and "swagger" whether it be stomping on the turrible towel™ or smashing a rookie WR's head into his own helmet, etc.  Now we are getting all weak in the knees over our team being quiet.

IF we go down more than 7 points against the Steelers I assure you we will be demanding that Marvin and the team actually show some fire and punch the cocky arse Steelers right in the mouth.  I'll do my best to applaud their calmness and humility, though.

I tells ya, fandom is a hoot!
Reply/Quote