Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis convenes another season
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-convenes-another-season/4878c63d-aac0-498f-a935-295aa5907659

Didn't see a thread on this, but there were a couple of things that kind of jumped out at me other than the fact that Marv is sticking around.

Lapham talks (in the video) about our first pick, #9 overall, and mentions a couple of pass rushers, which isn't a big surprise really. But he goes on to say that if we can't get one of the top pass rushers at #9 we might go (.....get ready.....) CB. Yes, he said it!

He also brings up Whit and that both our young tackles have shoulder injuries and that Fisher's injury might be worst than Oggieboggie boy's. Just more to fuel the fire that we need to spend a pick on a tackle and re-sign Whit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Agree but I'd add for this team to have any true shot at a quick rebuild we're gonna have to be players in the upper tier free agents.

And MB doesn't do that so............

Marv 15.0 is going to be a mirror image of seasons past.
Reply/Quote
If we go CB yet again we need psych care. Both lines are in shambles.
Reply/Quote
I was just looking at some interesting yet disappointing numbers. It drives me nuts that our biggest needs are positions we A. have drafted the most of the past 5 years B. Others we have totally ignored. Marvin has NEVER drafted a DT, C, S or DE (I believe we played Pollack at LB) in the first round. I can understand the C position as some teams will wait till the 2nd or later. The C position is the only position that we have not addressed in the first 3 rounds the past 5 years, other than FB,P,K and QB. The highest a C has been drafted in the Marvin Lewis era is the 4th with three taken. One 3rd of Marvin's 1st round draft picks have been CB's with a total of 5, 3 in the past 5 years. We have only drafted 1 Safety and 1 OG in the first 3 rounds the past 5 years. This past draft pattern may not mean a damn thing but if he sticks with his trend we can see something like this.

1st CB
2nd RB
3rd LB/WR
4th DT
4th Comp-C
5th OG
5th Comp LB/S/WR
6th WR
6th Comp RB
7th WR/DE/CB

But if we go with the least selected position each round it will be something like this.

1st C/DT/LB
2nd TE/C/DE
3rd OT/OG/RB Marvin has never drafted these positions in the 3rd.
4th WR
5th DE/C
6th OL/DE Marvin has never drafted OL or DE in the 6th.
7th LB
Reply/Quote
You guys can really respond with football
Talk after hearing Marvin is staying?

It was fun being on the old boards and posting sporadically on these boards but I'm at my end with this team. See you guys whenever we decide to realize Marvin Lewis isn't a winner

Because until Mike Brown accepts that the team he owns will always be a loser
Reply/Quote
So I can't follow college football like you guys over here so I don't have any names to add or alike. But if he BPA at 9 is a CB, considering the league is pass heavy now I won't be that upset.

Yeah I'd prefer DL but will the BPA at 9 be DL?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:07 AM)Housh Wrote: You guys can really respond with football
Talk after hearing Marvin is staying?

It was fun being on the old boards and posting sporadically on these boards but I'm at my end with this team. See you guys whenever we decide to realize Marvin Lewis isn't a winner

Because until Mike Brown accepts that the team he owns will always be a loser

This isn't a surprise brown will be here so Lewis will be here.
Reply/Quote
Part of me wishes we would draft Deshaun Watson and make him the future but that won't happen
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
saying they will draft BPA including a CB helps potential trade partners. I have no problem with that

If they actually draft a CB, I will throw something through my TV. There are so many other needs such as a pass rushing DE ( my personal top choice), center, linebacker, potentially another OT and potentially another WR though I think we are in better shape with WRs than the pother positions.

We have a lot of CBS with potential and we could get someone decent at CB in the third round.

The need at center is absolutely glaring. If there is a Pouncey type center available the Bengals need to fill that position more than anything else.

I am sick of Bodine being thrown back into Andy's face by bull rushing 3-4 nose tackles.
Reply/Quote
I didn't watch the video, but there was mention of it in another article and Lap said "coverage guy" for #9. If we're looking at "coverage guys" then I hope it's a safety. If this team takes another CB, I could see people just walk out of the draft party.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I didn't watch the video, but there was mention of it in another article and Lap said "coverage guy" for #9. If we're looking at "coverage guys" then I hope it's a safety. If this team takes another CB, I could see people just walk out of the draft party.

Coverage guy and safety upgrade? See Hooker, Malik. That would be a secondary selection I could support. Anything but another 1st round corner. The lines are a mess. The linebackers can't cover.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Hooker should be the pick. Foster would help but I'm not sold on a lb that's not a pass rusher in the top 10.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Football is a game that is won and lost in the trenches. We have needs there on both sides of the ball. But with pacman turning back into pacman and dre potentially leaving via FA, maybe CB isn't a horrible idea... Could also use another RB. Maybe another tight end if in case Eifert hurts himself tying his shoe.

Shit, this team has so many needs its kinda nauseating
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 11:20 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Football is a game that is won and lost in the trenches. We have needs there on both sides of the ball. But with pacman turning back into pacman and dre potentially leaving via FA, maybe CB isn't a horrible idea... Could also use another RB. Maybe another tight end if in case Eifert hurts himself tying his shoe.

Shit, this team has so many needs its kinda nauseating

Thats why I think our best choice would be to trade back for more picks. With all the FA players we have I dont expect us to pick up anyone outside of our own, I know shocker right, we need all the picks we can get. We pride ourselves on building threw the draft, well they better work the hell out of it.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 01:03 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Thats why I think our best choice would be to trade back for more picks. With all the FA players we have I dont expect us to pick up anyone outside of our own, I know shocker right, we need all the picks we can get. We pride ourselves on building threw the draft, well they better work the hell out of it.

We aren't going to re-sign all of our own free agents. So trading back may be a good idea.

Reply/Quote