Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis says Ross needs a lot of time and practice
(10-14-2017, 12:32 AM)Synric Wrote: The small injury prone defensive end that teams dropped on their draft board is working out pretty well.

I say let's see what happens before writing him off 5 games into his rookie season...since he does have at least 4 more seasons besides this one in Cincy....

And you can easily make those gambles in the fourth round. A top-10 pick isn't supposed to be a gamble.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 12:32 AM)Synric Wrote: The small injury prone defensive end that teams dropped on their draft board is working out pretty well.

I say let's see what happens before writing him off 5 games into his rookie season...since he does have at least 4 more seasons besides this one in Cincy....

Don't be a numbskull. Risk/reward/value was there in Lawson and not in Ross. Ross had a way way lower proposition in that regard and there were a lot of other highly graded players there without those to choose from. Also, Lawson was 100% healthy and just came off a full season where as Ross had not.

4th round pick vs a top 10 1st rounder are nowhere close to the same cost in terms of risk/reward and to equate the two is nonsensical.

The Bengals chose poorly as of now. All we can talk about is reality and the now and that's where they're at with Ross. He is way too far behind at this point to make any significant contribution to the team in 2017. I would make a signed with anyone that Ross has under 400 total yards (scrimmage) and less than 2 TDs (scrimmage or returning) this season. He is a non factor for a team built to win now.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 12:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Don't be a numbskull. Risk/reward/value was there in Lawson and not in Ross. Ross had a way way lower proposition in that regard and there were a lot of other highly graded players there without those to choose from. Also, Lawson was 100% healthy and just came off a full season where as Ross had not.

4th round pick vs a top 10 1st rounder are nowhere close to the same cost in terms of risk/reward and to equate the two is nonsensical.

The Bengals chose poorly as of now. All we can talk about is reality and the now and that's where they're at with Ross. He is way too far behind at this point to make any significant contribution to the team in 2017. I would make a signed with anyone that Ross has under 400 total yards (scrimmage) and less than 2 TDs (scrimmage or returning) this season. He is a non factor for a team built to win now.
agree
Reply/Quote
In case you were wondering this is one of those occasions where Marvin Lewis is 100% full of shit.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 12:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And you can easily make those gambles in the fourth round. A top-10 pick isn't supposed to be a gamble.

People complain no matter what round a player is taken.

Fact is no one knows what's gonna happen for Ross it's too early in his career to be calling him a bust. If he misses all this year and nextt year then year yea call him what you want but it's only 5 games into the season.

Edit: What I'm saying is people are complaining that the Bengals took Ross at 9 but he was a concensus top 15 pick. This is with the shoulder injury, injury history and size concerns.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 01:58 PM)Synric Wrote: People complain no matter what round a player is taken.

Fact is no one knows what's gonna happen for Ross it's too early in his career to be calling him a bust. If he misses all this year and nextt year then year yea call him what you want but it's only 5 games into the season.

Edit: What I'm saying is people are complaining that the Bengals took Ross at 9 but he was a concensus top 15 pick. This is with the shoulder injury, injury history and size concerns.

Ross absolutely was not a concensus Top 15 pick. Some teams had him totally off their board.

Had he not ran the record 40 yard dash he was a 2nd Round pick. Of course the Bengals got sucked into the hype.

I do agree that it is too early to tell what will happen. I read a scouting report that says he is really emotional when he drops a pass...which I thought was interesting. I don't recall reading that before.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 06:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross absolutely was not a concensus Top 15 pick. Some teams had him totally off their board.

Had he not ran the record 40 yard dash he was a 2nd Round pick. Of course the Bengals got sucked into the hype.

I do agree that it is too early to tell what will happen. I read a scouting report that says he is really emotional when he drops a pass...which I thought was interesting. I don't recall reading that before.

What teams took him off their boards? 

I have $20 says only the media said that. No teams day snything about their boards unless they talk about a player they drafted after the draft. In fact you can rarely I mean very rarely find anything to do with teams draft board after the draft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Is there reason to doubt that Ross indeed needs to practice and get back into playing condition?  
It's possible that he gets in the game in Pitt and plays great although I think it won't happen for a while longer. It is true that he hasn't had nearly enough practice time and has had injuries.. So instead Marvin should just lie and tell us that Ross will absolutely play and score 9 TDs his first game back?  
Yeah, that makes sense.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 07:24 PM)Synric Wrote: What teams took him off their boards? 

I have $20 says only the media said that. No teams day snything about their boards unless they talk about a player they drafted after the draft. In fact you can rarely I mean very rarely find anything to do with  teams draft board after the draft.

So you think that EVERY team in the NFL would want a small (he weights 188) WR with a 1st round pick with 2 major knee injuries and a shoulder surgery in college? One of his knee surgeries was microfracture.

And that 'media' is Mike Mayock from the NFL Network:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801683/article/mayock-john-ross-off-some-draft-boards-due-to-injuries

Why would he make this up? There are actually some teams in the NFL that don't take major risks with their draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 08:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So you think that EVERY team in the NFL would want a small (he weights 188) WR with a 1st round pick with 2 major knee injuries and a shoulder surgery in college? One of his knee surgeries was microfracture.

And that 'media' is Mike Mayock from the NFL Network:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801683/article/mayock-john-ross-off-some-draft-boards-due-to-injuries

Why would he make this up? There are actually some teams in the NFL that don't take major risks with their draft picks.

Draft boards are one of the most closely guarded secrets in the NFL. They are not going to tell media who they have or have taken off their board especially BEFORE the draft.

Didn't a guy get fired a few years back for leaking thr cowboys board after the draft. 

I do know for a fact that WVU recruiters were extremely upset that the Netflix show Last Chance had players mention they got recruitment letters from WVU.

You can think what you want but teams don't tell the media anything about their draft process.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 11:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Now come on, Beaker....

The Bengals has won two straight and are back in the hunt.   Eifert is injured, but the team seems to be on the ascent.  There has to be something to second guess and complain about as an absolute truth after 5 weeks of the season.  

Because the Bengals deserve benefit of the doubt.
Reply/Quote