Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life
(10-04-2016, 11:00 PM)jason Wrote: Since this is a thread about life...

Anybody have a good day today? A great day even?

Any day you don't wake up dead is a good day.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2016, 11:46 AM)Beaker Wrote: Any day you don't wake up dead is a good day.
Wake up dead......... ?????????

Apart from fiction, are you privy to a scientific state of consciousness that we're unaware of ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The First Truth is that all life is suffering, pain, and misery.

The Second Truth is that this suffering is caused by selfish craving and personal desire.

The Third Truth is that this selfish craving can be overcome.

The Fourth Truth is that the way to overcome this misery is through the Eightfold Path.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The First Truth is that all life is suffering, pain, and misery.

The Second Truth is that this suffering is caused by selfish craving and personal desire.

The Third Truth is that this selfish craving can be overcome.

The Fourth Truth is that the way to overcome this misery is through the Eightfold Path.

no one ever said YOUR third truth. selfishness has never been overcome. not once. not ever.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 10:19 PM)treee Wrote: I don't really know what to post on here but I figure we could talk about our life and get to know each other. I'm 24, currently working and going to the local community college part time. My dad died earlier this year. I'm really missing all of my friends that I've lost touch with. I'm coming up on 2 years out of a relationship with an emotionally manipulative person. I'm dating someone right now which is kinda cool but we live kinda far apart and only see each other every couple weeks so I think I need to find someone to date who is closer to me. I'm having trouble with debt, bills, and bureaucracy. I'm currently in something called SOP-1 which is something for people with potential substance abuse issues. I take medicine to help me sleep because for some reason I can't sleep at normal times. The biggest thing I have trouble with is that I have no people in my life that I'm actually close to. Part of it is because that is how I made my life, but I feel like part of it is out of my control. I wish I had more inspiration in my life but maybe that is something that you have to find rather than wait to come to you. Life is just feeling kinda shitty lately. I know I have it alright and so I feel shitty for feeling shitty which makes it even worse ha. I'm pretty much a shut-in these days and it is taking a toll on me in a lot of ways.

Anyways, this thread isn't just for me to type giant walls of text at you guys. Feel free to tell me about how your life is going too. I'll do my best to have an open ear and be a good friend.

I lost my father last year also. Despite the fact that we all know it will happen to us someday, it isn't easy to lose a parent. Obviously your relationship with your father was good. So you want to retain those memories og him. You'll find that they are a blessing.

I'm not sure that a relationship with someone else is what you really need right now. I know it may seem like the right thing. But I think you need to develop a better relationship with yourself. That may seem like a bunch of gibberish to you. You might even just tune me out entirely because it isn't what you want to hear. But you need to see yourself in a better light. You aren't as awful as you make yourself out to be. There are more than a few of us on here (myself included) who have been where you are. The answer isn't found in someone else. The answer is found with yourself. And the answer is different for each of us. But until you find that answer, relationships with others will be problematic. 

As I mentioned before, I've been in a similar place. There were three things that helped me. First, someone recommended that I find ways to help others. When you help others, you help yourself. Selfishness in being unselfish. It's funny how that works. But it does. When you define yourself as someone who helps others, you cannot help but see yourself in a better light. Look for ways that you can be a blessing to someone, particularly ways that you can do it anonymously.

The second thing that helped me was developing faith/belief. I want to be careful giving this advice. It is not for everyone. And I'm not talking about going down to the nearest church. That may or may not work out for you. I'm talking about a personal spiritualism: choosing to believe that there is something else out there and trying to communicate with that something. Reading a holy book can help you focus, but it isn't necessary. I'm not advocating for any particular religion. But prayer and meditation can help calm you. It also can help you feel less alone and less needy of others if you feel there is something else out there and you have a relationship with it. When I was going through a shitstorm a few years back, I took up a daily regimen of reading a verse or chapter of the Bible every night, saying a prayer and then meditating in silence for three minutes every night. It helped. 

Finally, you have to take care of yourself physically. It should go without saying. But what I mean here is a concentrated effort to eat good foods, get plenty of sleep and exercise. 

These things helped me. I don't know if they will help you or not. But I don't think they would hurt.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:05 AM)WildCat Wrote:  no one ever said YOUR third truth. selfishness has never been overcome. not once. not ever.

You need to go over to the P&R section were I am constantly being accused of being a bleeding heart liberal who wants to give away all his hard earned money in taxes to help the underprivileged.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:05 AM)WildCat Wrote: selfishness has never been overcome. not once. not ever.

This statement actually makes zero sense.
Reply/Quote
You can get a feeling of despair or just feeling like shit that doesn't match your actual life. Our brains are all about chemistry, and if it goes out of kilter a little, it can cause you problems until it bounces back. Exercising can be a big help. And eat regularly if you are not. Low blood sugar can result in cortisol being released, and that can affect your mood. Have you ever noticed you feel worse in the morning than night? Cortisol is part of that.

But away from my amateur psychiatry, the one take I would have is you are 24, and relatively unconnected to anything. You can literally go or do anything you want. You could pick up and move to LA for example. How cool would that be? You ae as free as you are ever going to be. Take advantage of that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2016, 11:54 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Wake up dead......... ?????????

Apart from fiction, are you privy to a scientific state of consciousness that we're unaware of ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Classic Megadeth song...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Well I've been reading the replies over the past week or so and I wanted to thank you all for offering your perspective. I've never had a community as supportive as this one in my life. I planned on responding to everyone but some of you put a lot of effort into your posts so I want to make sure I do the same in my response to your individual posts. I've been doing really well this past week and I'm in better spirits since I first posted this thread. Cheers all. I hope you guys feel like you can seek support for yourself or just talk about what is going on in your life in this thread as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote