Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning almost hit my house, fried most of my electronics and AC
Well that was interesting last night during a thunderstorm. I was on the sofa around 7:30 last night watching TV and suddenly heard this super load screech followed by a boom. It sounded like a missile hit my yard. It almost knocked me off the sofa. The first thing I did was go outside and make sure my roof was not on fire. The neighbors across the street came out and asked if it hit my house because apparently they saw it happen. House was not on fire so that was a relief.

Bad thing my cable modem, DVR, PS4, Roku, and stereo system were fried. My whole house smelled of burning electronics. It also blew out my AC system, fried the charger for my Macbook, and somehow fried the switch that opens my garage door. I'm guessing some of the electricity must of come through coaxial cable and then ran through the HDMI cables. I think that is why it fried the modem and DVR because they are hooked up to coaxial. It didn't toast my wifi router that was connected to the modem via Cat5. The DVR was connected via HDMI to my stereo. Stereo also had in connections from PS4 and Roku. So I think the charge went through the coaxial then through the HDMI cables.

Somehow my TV was spared but I think maybe that was because it fried my stereo before hitting the TV as the HDMI out goes from stereo to TV. Another reason I think that was the cause is because my surge protectors didn't trip at all and my lamp and security system plugged in to the same outlets as the surge protectors didn't get fried.

So now it is supper hot and I have no AC. I took the fried modem and DVR to Spectrum and exchanged them for new. So at least I have TV and Internet now. I can't get the AC repaired or replaced for now. Insurance company is sending someone Monday to verify that the lightning was what fried my AC. Of course it did, AC was working fine, lightning damn near hit my house, fried a bunch of my electronics and now it doesn't work. But I understand the process.

Sorry just venting. Thank goodness it didn't actually hit my house and burn it down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Sorry for the inconvenience in your life, but more glad that you're alright. Meanwhile, just go buy you a couple of window AC units, until the process plays itself out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Your insurance already knows that a lightening strike occurred around you. They are just coming out to do an inventory of what got fried and determine the $.

good to hear nobody was hurt. stuff is just stuff and thats why you have insurance.
Reply/Quote
About 8 years ago I had lightning hit the telephone box in my yard.

It fried my phone system, as well as my next door neighbors, as well as every DirecTV receiver that was plugged into the phone line. The port on every tv connected to the receivers got fried as well.
Reply/Quote
Won't surge protectors protect these devices?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Won't surge protectors protect these devices?

From a typical line surge, yes.

From the surge caused by a lightning strike, no.

Nothing but a flux capacitor can withstand 1.21 jigawatts!
Reply/Quote
There was a lightning strike that I thought hit my face it was so bright and loud. Turns out that thing was 1/4 mile away. Can’t imagine what one landing on your head is like.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 06:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry for the inconvenience in your life, but more glad that you're alright.  Meanwhile, just go buy you a couple of window AC units, until the process plays itself out.

Thanks.  I don't know if insurance will cover the cost of window units as a temporary fix. It's suppose to cool off in the next few days thankfully.  I did ask the insurance company if they would cover the cost of putting my dog in a kennel so I could go stay with a friend until it gets fixed.  They told me maybe and it depends on temperatures between now and when it is fixed. So I'm not banking on that.

It really isn't that super terrible as far as temperature.  Right now it is 85 degrees inside cooled down for 88 earlier as there has been some recent cloud cover.  I have a fan that helps.  I spent time in hotter climates without AC when I was in the military so I'm sure I can tough it out.  It is the humidity that makes it seem worse.  I'd take a 95-100 degree day with almost no humidity over a 85 degree day with 60+ humidity any day.  :)

(09-06-2018, 06:43 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Your insurance already knows that a lightening strike occurred around you.  They are just coming out to do an inventory of what got fried and determine the $.

good to hear nobody was hurt.  stuff is just stuff and thats why you have insurance.

Thanks and I'm glad it wasn't worse as well.  Everything I lost is replaceable and my insurance will cover most of it.  Like I said it could have been worse and set my house on fire.  So I'm glad that didn't happen.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 08:03 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thanks.  I don't know if insurance will cover the cost of window units as a temporary fix. It's suppose to cool off in the next few days thankfully.  I did ask the insurance company if they would cover the cost of putting my dog in a kennel so I could go stay with a friend until it gets fixed.  They told me maybe and it depends on temperatures between now and when it is fixed. So I'm not banking on that.

It really isn't that super terrible as far as temperature.  Right now it is 85 degrees inside cooled down for 88 earlier as there has been some recent cloud cover.  I have a fan that helps.  I spent time in hotter climates without AC when I was in the military so I'm sure I can tough it out.  It is the humidity that makes it seem worse.  I'd take a 95-100 degree day with almost no humidity over a 85 degree day with 60+ humidity any day.  :)

Thanks and I'm glad it wasn't worse as well.  Everything I lost is replaceable and my insurance will cover most of it.  Like I said it could have been worse and set my house on fire.  So I'm glad that didn't happen.

My buddy just picked up a decently priced portable swamp cooler for his garage.  Thing is beast and works damn well.  Might be worth taking a look at one of those for a temp solution in the house and use somewhere else down the line. Thinking about picking one up myself.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 08:03 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thanks.  I don't know if insurance will cover the cost of window units as a temporary fix. It's suppose to cool off in the next few days thankfully.  I did ask the insurance company if they would cover the cost of putting my dog in a kennel so I could go stay with a friend until it gets fixed.  They told me maybe and it depends on temperatures between now and when it is fixed. So I'm not banking on that.

You might just have to spring for a window unit, out of pocket.  They're really not that expensive, and great to have in case of emergencies.  Heck, in a power outage in a Summer heat wave, you can run a window unit from a portable generator.  (I learned this spending several hurricane seasons, living near the beach)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Won't surge protectors protect these devices?

Not everything plugged into my surge protectors got fried aside from the devices that were connected via coaxial cable (DVR and cable modem) and the devices that were connected to them with HDMI cables.  My surge protectors never even tripped.  My DVR/cable box connected to my stereo system via HDMI then connected to my TV via HDMI out.  My PS4, Roku got fried and were connected via HDMI In of the stereo.  So I'm guessing the stereo fried before it could send the surge to my TV since my TV is fine.  My TV was plugged into the same surge protectors as my DVR and cable modem.  My wifi modem was also plugged into the same surge protector and didn't get fried.  So my guess is the electricity went through coaxial then through the DVR and into the stereo and subsequent items connected via HDMI. 

Of course that doesn't explain why my AC blew out, fried my Macbook charging cable, and my garage door switch no longer works.  It almost seems like the lighting strike was some mini an EMP.

Of course I can make guesses all day. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
My AC went out a couple summers back (AC Coil). We made a couple of these and it helped:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You might just have to spring for a window unit, out of pocket.  They're really not that expensive, and great to have in case of emergencies.  Heck, in a power outage in a Summer heat wave, you can run a window unit from a portable generator.  (I learned this spending several hurricane seasons, living near the beach)

(09-06-2018, 08:07 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: My buddy just picked up a decently priced portable swamp cooler for his garage.  Thing is beast and works damn well.  Might be worth taking a look at one of those for a temp solution in the house and use somewhere else down the line. Thinking about picking one up myself.

I agree.  The funny thing is I recently got interested in prepping for emergencies. Started with stocking up food, water, and food for my dog.   Maybe this gives me a good reason to invest in emergency heating and cooling and other energy solutions like a generator as well.  Sure makes me think what would happen long term in the event no one can help me.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 08:41 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I agree.  The funny thing is I recently got interested in prepping for emergencies. Started with stocking up food, water, and food for my dog.   Maybe this gives me a good reason to invest in emergency heating and cooling and other energy solutions like a generator as well.  Sure makes me think what would happen long term in the event no one can help me.

Good idea to have a fuel supply on hand, as well.  Just remember to use it and refill the cans every few months.  Like, when they get dated, fill your vehicle with them, and take them to the station to fill back up.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Lightning is serious stuff. I was in Germany Prestorm playing softball and a lightning strike ran right over us and landed right outside right field fence. My friggen heart fluttered and I tasted aluminum and mouth got real dry. But my name is Michael, so I was named after an archangel, so I guess that helped me get through. Your electronics had no chance.

Not trying to make light of your situation, I’m glad your ok and house is ok. Everything else can be replaced. Well, House could too, but painful to do so. Sorry for all the crap you going through.

Reply/Quote
Sorry about your luck, but Roku TV sucks anyways, so now you can switch to something else.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 10:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Sorry about your luck, but Roku TV sucks anyways, so now you can switch to something else.

I used it to stream HD Netflix and Amazon Prime videos mostly.  Occasionally for HBO Go movies and shows. Worked great and I had no complaints.  I'll probably replace it with Amazon Fire Stick or one of their other devices since it will do the same and work with my Alexa.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure that a house grounded spares you of a lightning bolt, but if it got into your wires, theory is instead of bouncing around it extinguishes into your soil.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 11:05 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I'm not sure that a house grounded spares you of a lightning bolt, but if it got into your wires, theory is instead of bouncing around it extinguishes into your soil.

I first read this as "extinguishes your soul."  Before I re-read it, my first thought was, my god Lightening is a ginger.  because everyone knows, gingers steals souls. LOL!!!

Glad I have a really good reading comprehension.  that there is your Iowa education at its finest.  :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
At least you are OK. And it did not hit you. Heard need to be away from tech stuff as lightening can fry that up. Heard of stories where people got struck INSIDE like taking a shower or using water. Best to stay away from water and tech stuff when that happens. You hear thunder then lightening comes.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote