Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like Marvin, Tomlin Needs To Be Criticized
Until this next semester, when he will be employed at Xavier, I presented to this professor at NKU's classes, and he always publishes articles and he's a great writer.

He just published an article about why Tomlin needs to be criticized like Marvin is criticized when it comes to discipline of players and coaches, but we all know they won't be because they have rings, which trumps everything.

Quote: Get ready. I'm about to criticize a coach. And I don't care a thing about his race.

In a recent interview, American Race-ologist (and former noted sportswriter) Jason Whitlock said people are afraid to criticize Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin because he’s African-American.

Now, I refer to Whitlock in this way because I think he talks about race a bit too much when it comes to sports, but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, I listened to his thoughts on the terrible Herd radio program and proceeded to 1.) disagree because I thought his opinions were silly, and 2.) immediately localize the story by wondering why no one seems to have that same problem with Marvin Lewis.

Everyone criticizes Marvin Lewis. And last time I checked, Lewis was African-American, too.

Right? Yes.

And when it comes to Lewis, a better question may be: Who hasn’t criticized Marvin Lewis during his tenure with the Bengals? I feel like his own mother has probably wondered why he can't win a playoff game. I criticized him recently, in this space.

I said Lewis had lost control of his team, which – if you watched the Bengals last playoff game – I find difficult to argue with.

Still, the more I think about Tomlin, the more I think the same applies to him.

As we’d also already stated here, the Steelers were as much to blame for the atrocities of that playoff game as the Bengals.

So, I’d like to do something I didn’t do the first time around – I’d like to criticize Mike Tomlin, who seems to be in a very similar place when compared to Marvin Lewis (aside from the fact that Tomlin has a Super Bowl win under his belt).

Here’s the deal: Mike Tomlin is African-American – and I don't care at all about criticizing him. Since his team is now out of the playoffs, I’ll let him have it.

I know all about the feel-good stories about how the Steelers overcame injuries all year just to find themselves back in the playoffs. I heard this enough from Jim Nantz and Phil Simms during the playoffs broadcast. Let’s just say I was less than amazed. This is the NFL. Injuries happen all the time.

Strap it up and get on the field.

Yet when the Steelers came out for their first-round playoff game against the Bengals, I saw a very similar sight – just like the Bengals, the Steelers were a team out of control.

And even though Pittsburgh wasn't called for as many penalties, Tomlin should still be in danger of losing his job.

Allowing assistants to get tangled up with players twice in one game? Allowing the level of certain players’ anger to rise to out-of-control proportions without taking them off the field? Inexcusable.

Someone in the Steelers organization has to pay. If not Tomlin, then who? Joey Porter can pony up funds for all the fines he's been given, but for Tomlin to acknowledge Porter afterward with a game ball is just absurd. And all of it is representative of the culture they’ve created in Pitt.

Just like in Cincinnati, the Steelers have a reputation when it comes to play that is deemed “dirty” or “almost dirty.” No doubt they push the boundaries - they just get more calls. And just like Cincinnati, the Steelers embarrassed themselves in that playoff victory - their only saving grace was that they won.

But is that enough? Should it be?

Or should we still hold the man in charge accountable for the character of his players? I believed that when I criticized Marvin Lewis. I believe it now when I'm criticizing Mike Tomlin.

He needs to re-evaluate his procedures and get his team under control. If not, his position should be in jeopardy.

That's the way I feel about the Pittsburgh coach. And I don't care a thing about his race.

I love that he even points out how "experts" like Nantz and Simms are so far up the Steelers' asses that they're afraid to criticize them.

It's a beautiful article and it's what anyone that thinks logically about the Steelers thinks, too.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:45 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Until this next semester, when he will be employed at Xavier, I presented to this professor at NKU's classes, and he always publishes articles and he's a great writer.  

He just published an article about why Tomlin needs to be criticized like Marvin is criticized when it comes to discipline of players and coaches, but we all know they won't be because they have rings, which trumps everything.

I love that he even points out how "experts" like Nantz and Simms are so far up the Steelers' asses that they're afraid to criticize them.

It's a beautiful article and it's what anyone that thinks logically about the Steelers thinks, too.

From your inane "source";

fatguy in gay ass pose Wrote:Yet when the Steelers came out for their first-round playoff game against the Bengals, I saw a very similar sight – just like the Bengals, the Steelers were a team out of control.

And even though Pittsburgh wasn't called for as many penalties, Tomlin should still be in danger of losing his job.
Steelers:  10 penalties for 142 yards
Bengals: 8 penalties for 79 yards
Great source *******.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 02:23 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: From your inane "source";

Steelers:  10 penalties for 142 yards
Bengals: 8 penalties for 79 yards
Great source *******.   Hilarious

Yet the Steelers were only penalized once in the fourth quarter, and that was with was 14:43 left and didn't determine the outcome of the game, like the no-call on Porter.

Learn what context is, *******.  

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 03:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yet the Steelers were only penalized once in the fourth quarter, and that was with was 14:43 left and didn't determine the outcome of the game, like the no-call on Porter.

Learn what context is, *******.  

ThumbsUp

You squirm like a worm.  If you were a man you'd simply own that your source absolutely blew it.  Maybe they'll drop soon?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:45 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Until this next semester, when he will be employed at Xavier, I presented to this professor at NKU's classes, and he always publishes articles and he's a great writer.  

Horribly stupid article.  One big display of sour grapes.

I know all about the feel-good stories about how the Steelers overcame injuries all year just to find themselves back in the playoffs. I heard this enough from Jim Nantz and Phil Simms during the playoffs broadcast. Let’s just say I was less than amazed. This is the NFL. Injuries happen all the time.

Whats the point of this?  Not exclusive to the Steelers. Any team in the playoffs that had overcome injuries would have been recognized for it.

Still, the more I think about Tomlin, the more I think the same applies to him.

Yes, he kept telling himself this over and over, finally convincing himself.

Just like in Cincinnati, the Steelers have a reputation when it comes to play that is deemed “dirty” or “almost dirty.” No doubt they push the boundaries - they just get more calls. And just like Cincinnati, the Steelers embarrassed themselves in that playoff victory - their only saving grace was that they won.

The Steelers push the boundries , but the bengals are incapable of just pushing. They go well beyond when they try and act tough like the Steelers, and it backfired causing them to lose a playoff game they had won. I don't know of a Steeler that was embarrassed to win that game, but you better believe the bengals were of losing.

Allowing assistants to get tangled up with players twice in one game? Allowing the level of certain players’ anger to rise to out-of-control proportions without taking them off the field? Inexcusable.

Joey Porter and when Munchacks hand got tangled up in that bungles dreds? Nice pun there. Bet this brilliant writer didn't even notice it.
Reply/Quote

The Steelers were penalized more than the Bengals in that game. So, there's that.  

There were admittedly some issues with coaches in that game, but aside from Tomlin's own kickoff gaffe against the Ravens (which, like the instances with the other two coaches, happened only once), I can't think of any other issues with coaches in the other 150+ games that he has coached.  To accuse him of having no control over his coaches because of a few isolated incidents in a game with virtually unprecedented amounts of vitriol on both sides is absurd.  It is not logical, but rather is the result of getting caught up in the emotions of the moment.  The true test will be to see how many times this happens in the future, and there's been only one other game to judge that.  But that game, I might notes was incident-free. 

Is Tomlin beyond criticism, in this game or otherwise?  No.  In fact, if you ever looked at the comment sections of local media stories or went to any of the Steelers message boards, you'd have seen that Steeler fans are often among his greatest detractors, both for this game and in general.  

But it is obvious that this guy is a Bengal fan and is writing from that perspective.  Even smart people get butt-hurt.  
Reply/Quote
about.com?

Someone brought out the big guns when it comes to sports journalism. This is almost as impressive as that article from the guy without a last name that calls into NE sports talk radio.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It was a pretty goofy article. Never been a fan of the righteous indignation stance.

I do find it comical how Steeler fans go into auto defend mode whenever anyone criticizes their organization. No criticism is valid, no source is credible.

Both teams were probably being unfairly criticized by a guy on the outside looking in. But Steeler fans won't even acknowledge that. Guess that makes Steeler fans just like any other fans in their utter lack of objectivity.

Cue the arrogant and probably insulting refusal to accept this.

Will the answers be Bungles, haven't won a playoff game, Burfict is the dirtiest player in the league or some Bengals got arrested a while ago?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Are people STILL taking the "well they did it too" stance to defend the Bengals at the end of that game?

How many weeks ago has it been already? Game is over. Move on.

[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 02:48 PM)McC Wrote: It was a pretty goofy article.  Never been a fan of the righteous indignation stance.

I do find it comical how Steeler fans go into auto defend mode whenever anyone criticizes their organization.  No criticism is valid, no source is credible.  

Both teams were probably being unfairly criticized by a guy on the outside looking in.  But Steeler fans won't even acknowledge that.  Guess that makes Steeler fans just like any other fans in their utter lack of objectivity.  

Cue the arrogant and probably insulting refusal to accept this.  

Will the answers be Bungles, haven't won a playoff game, Burfict is the dirtiest player in the league or some Bengals got arrested a while ago?

I have stated over and over again that the Steelers were as deserving of blame as the Bengals.  I'm just calling out this guy's hyperbole.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 12:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You squirm like a worm.  If you were a man you'd simply own that your source absolutely blew it.  Maybe they'll drop soon?
haha!

You're a joke.

You do things like this and post a bullying, condescending type post that has no credibility because you couldn't respond to my points, much like you always did with negative rep.

(I'm not bullied by your bullshit, but it's obviously what you were attempting.  Good attempt to be an internet tough guy.)

Maybe you'll become good at debates and arguments one day?

Doubtful.  
(01-28-2016, 12:38 PM)Vlad Wrote: Horribly stupid article.  One big display of sour grapes.

Whats the point of this?  Not exclusive to the Steelers. Any team in the playoffs that had overcome injuries would have been recognized for it.
MAYBE another team would have been recognized, but certainly not praised like they were a high school team that lost their star QB and rallied around some heavenly force to beat the '85 Bears.
(01-28-2016, 12:38 PM)Vlad Wrote: Still, the more I think about Tomlin, the more I think the same applies to him.

Yes, he kept telling himself this over and over, finally convincing himself.
Yet you have nothing to counter it.  

Impressive diversion.  
(01-28-2016, 12:38 PM)Vlad Wrote: Just like in Cincinnati, the Steelers have a reputation when it comes to play that is deemed “dirty” or “almost dirty.” No doubt they push the boundaries - they just get more calls. And just like Cincinnati, the Steelers embarrassed themselves in that playoff victory - their only saving grace was that they won.

The Steelers push the boundries , but the bengals are incapable of just pushing. They go well beyond when they try and act tough like the Steelers, and it backfired causing them to lose a playoff game they had won. I don't know of a Steeler that was embarrassed to win that game, but you better believe the bengals were of losing.
So it's ok for your team to cheat, but not for our team to cheat in retaliation?  

Typical.  Pathetic, but typical.

And FYI, the Steelers don't push the boundaries, they step completely over them and then the Bengals are flagged in retaliation.  When the NFL lets the Steelers do whatever they want, there's only so much players can take.

(01-28-2016, 12:38 PM)Vlad Wrote: Allowing assistants to get tangled up with players twice in one game? Allowing the level of certain players’ anger to rise to out-of-control proportions without taking them off the field? Inexcusable.

Joey Porter and when Munchacks hand got tangled up in that bungles dreds? Nice pun there. Bet this brilliant writer didn't even notice it.

Not even an attempt to defend the Steelers on this one but just taking shots at the writer.

Once again, that's very typical of a Steelers fan, yet you still call the article bogus.

Hilariously pathetic.
(01-28-2016, 03:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Are people STILL taking the "well they did it too" stance to defend the Bengals at the end of that game?

How many weeks ago has it been already?  Game is over. Move on.

Easy to say "move on" when your team gets all the benefits that screw the other team over.

And a few weeks?  Our season that our team had worked their asses off in and us fans had invested so much time, money, and energy in was ended because the NFL babies the Steelers, and we're supposed to just be over that?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 06:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:  Our season that our team had worked their asses off in and us fans had invested so much time, money, and energy in was ended because the NFL babies the Steelers, and we're supposed to just be over that?

Yeah, that was too bad.

Whats worse is that the window of opportunity has closed. No way will the bengals be better next season.
The Steelers will though.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 06:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Easy to say "move on" when your team gets all the benefits that screw the other team over.

And a few weeks?  Our season that our team had worked their asses off in and us fans had invested so much time, money, and energy in was ended because the NFL babies the Steelers, and we're supposed to just be over that?

Easier?  Sure.

But you have to learn to move on from a game that has absolutely zero affect on your life.  Unless you are on their payroll.

I used to get upset and angry and all that...but it is just not worth it.  I love the Steelers.  I root for them every week.  I hate when Ithink they got the short end of a deal.

And then I move on some time that day or the next because it is a game and they don't pay me to care THAT much.

Rock On
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 06:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: haha!

You're a joke.

You do things like this and post a bullying, condescending type post that has no credibility because you couldn't respond to my points, much like you always did with negative rep.

Your points?  I thought the points being made in your post were by the guy you posted a link to.  You know the source I pointed out can't have much credibility if he blatantly gets basic facts wrong by stating the Bengals were penalized more than the Steelers.  A rather key component of his inane argument I might point out.

Quote:(I'm not bullied by your bullshit, but it's obviously what you were attempting.  Good attempt to be an internet tough guy.)

You aren't bullied by someone pointing out facts?  I suppose that's one way of describing it.

Quote:Maybe you'll become good at debates and arguments one day?

I'm honestly concerned at this point that you might be mentally ill.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 07:24 PM)Vlad Wrote: Yeah, that was too bad.

Whats worse is that the window of opportunity has closed. No way will the bengals be better next season.
The Steelers will though.
lol!

You serious?!  

The Steelers are aging and have next to no cap room to do anything big, and all their cap room will actually be used up in signing draft picks.  Your quarterback has only played all 16 games three because he's either injured or suspended for raping drunk college girls.  Bell is coming off a knee injury.

The Bengals are still young in all the right positions and only improving.  We beat the Steelers in the playoffs if we take a knee three times and kick a field goal or if the refs don't make that bullshit call on Burfict or they do the right thing and also penalize Porter for being on the field (which would have made it a 50 yard field goal).
(01-28-2016, 07:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: Easier?  Sure.

But you have to learn to move on from a game that has absolutely zero affect on your life.  Unless you are on their payroll.

I used to get upset and angry and all that...but it is just not worth it.  I love the Steelers.  I root for them every week.  I hate when Ithink they got the short end of a deal.

And then I move on some time that day or the next because it is a game and they don't pay me to care THAT much.

Rock On
When the Steelers get a bullshit call on them that ends their season when it had great promise, let me know.
(01-28-2016, 07:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Your points?  I thought the points being made in your post were by the guy you posted a link to.  You know the source I pointed out can't have much credibility if he blatantly gets basic facts wrong by stating the Bengals were penalized more than the Steelers.  A rather key component of his inane argument I might point out.
I pointed out how the penalties were much more damaging and in much more crucial moments to determine the outcome of the game, which you ignored.

(01-28-2016, 07:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You aren't bullied by someone pointing out facts?  I suppose that's one way of describing it.
I pointed out facts that you once again ignored and try to post like I'm completely off-base because you think I'll be too intimidated to see facts and see past you're bullshit.

Don't worry, though, because it's typical for delusional Steelers fans.
(01-28-2016, 07:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm honestly concerned at this point that you might be mentally ill.

Once again, you offer nothing but insults and hope that people will just be too intimidated to see that you post nothing with any substance.

I feel bad for you because you don't know how to debate or argue anything.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 10:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I pointed out how the penalties were much more damaging and in much more crucial moments to determine the outcome of the game, which you ignored.

Let's say your opinion, which this statement is, is accurate.  It still does nothing to address the fact that the author of your insightful piece made a blatantly false statement.  An easily researched one at that.  This being the case it shed doubt on his credibility on any related issue.

Quote:I pointed out facts that you once again ignored and try to post like I'm completely off-base because you think I'll be too intimidated to see facts and see past you're bullshit.

Uhm, your assertion that the penalties were more "damaging" is not a fact, it's your opinion.

Quote:Don't worry, though, because it's typical for delusional Steelers fans.

That's the razor sharp wit I've come to expect from you.

Quote:Once again, you offer nothing but insults and hope that people will just be too intimidated to see that you post nothing with any substance.

Yes, I expect people to be intimidated by words on a monitor's screen.  I don't think you realize what you're revealing about yourself with this statement.

Quote:I feel bad for you because you don't know how to debate or argue anything.

I feel sorry for your mother.

[Image: LL]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 10:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Ilol!

You serious?!  

The Steelers are aging and have next to no cap room to do anything big, and all their cap room will actually be used up in signing draft picks.  Your quarterback has only played all 16 games three because he's either injured or suspended for raping drunk college girls.  Bell is coming off a knee injury.

The Bengals are still young in all the right positions and only improving.  We beat the Steelers in the playoffs if we take a knee three times and kick a field goal or if the refs don't make that bullshit call on Burfict or they do the right thing and also penalize Porter for being on the field (which would have made it a 50 yard field goal).
When the Steelers get a bullshit call on them that ends their season when it had great promise, let me know.
I pointed out how the penalties were much more damaging and in much more crucial moments to determine the outcome of the game, which you ignored.

I pointed out facts that you once again ignored and try to post like I'm completely off-base because you think I'll be too intimidated to see facts and see past you're bullshit.

Don't worry, though, because it's typical for delusional Steelers fans.

Once again, you offer nothing but insults and hope that people will just be too intimidated to see that you post nothing with any substance.

I feel bad for you because you don't know how to debate or argue anything.

How many years in a row are you going to say the Steelers are aging and on the decline?  Aren't you embarrassed by now?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 12:23 AM)Harmening Wrote: How many years in a row are you going to say the Steelers are aging and on the decline?  Aren't you embarrassed by now?

That is a darn good point. That rhetoric has been argued by haters since the 90's and some still haven't learned.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 12:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Let's say your opinion, which this statement is, is accurate.  It still does nothing to address the fact that the author of your insightful piece made a blatantly false statement.  An easily researched one at that.  This being the case it shed doubt on his credibility on any related issue.
You're ignoring the point of the discussion and the point of him posting that in the article.

You can try to contradict that, however, by responding to the portion of your post that I replied to that is directly below this portion.
(01-29-2016, 12:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Uhm, your assertion that the penalties were more "damaging" is not a fact, it's your opinion.
This might be the stupidest post I've ever seen you make, which is impressive.

Name two that had a bigger direct impact on the outcome of the game.

Please, I'm begging you.
(01-29-2016, 12:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's the razor sharp wit I've come to expect from you.
It's very, very accurate.

There's no group of people more delusional than Steelers fans.  Not even Holocaust deniers are as out-of-touch with reality as Steelers fans.
(01-29-2016, 12:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, I expect people to be intimidated by words on a monitor's screen.  I don't think you realize what you're revealing about yourself with this statement.
You expect people to be like "oh, I better not respond because he'll make me look stupid."

There's absolutely no other explanation for you posting stupid shit and then acting like you're still smarter than everyone.

It's something grade school or high school kids do.
(01-29-2016, 12:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I feel sorry for your mother.
Why?  Because she can't travel to Pittsburgh or Georgia without fear of being raped by your quarterback?

(01-29-2016, 12:23 AM)Harmening Wrote: How many years in a row are you going to say the Steelers are aging and on the decline?  Aren't you embarrassed by now?
Missed the playoffs 2 of the past 5 years and only made it this season because of a tiebreaker.

You're right, I should be embarrassed!

That's the quality of play that every Steelers fan that brags about how dominant their franchise is has come to expect!

(01-29-2016, 12:32 AM)Vlad Wrote: That is a darn good point. That rhetoric has been argued by haters since the 90's and some still haven't learned.

Yeah, missing the playoffs 2 of the last 5 years and only getting in this year because of a tiebreaker is typical Steelers dominance  ThumbsUp Forget the fact that they only have 6 million dollars in cap space, leaving not much, if any, considering the first-year minimum for players is $455,000, and that's not even considering the top picks will demand much more than that.  

Don't worry, though, because I'm sure it will somehow work out  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
You're enabling him
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote