Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line of Communication- Mega QB’s
This is Bengal related and will get to it.

So is Lamar wanting a great WR in FA a new thing? Can’t imagine it is. You’d think this had to have been discussed before now. So as the Ravens front office scrambles because the draft is coming and they are in no man’s land? I just don’t get it. Aaron Rodgers and the GB front office troubles have been chronicled.

On our front all hints lead to the Bengals Front Office heavily involving Joe’s thoughts. He wants Chase and Higgins and they are trying to make it happen. Even if it doesn’t you get the feeling he will recognize the effort. Joe’s heavily involved with the offense and that’s on Zac. But Duke was just recognized as #3 GM. Looks like our model despite our history is one to mimic.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 03:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This is Bengal related and will get to it.

So is Lamar wanting a great WR in FA a new thing? Can’t imagine it is. You’d think this had to have been discussed before now. So as the Ravens front office scrambles because the draft is coming and they are in no man’s land? I just don’t get it. Aaron Rodgers and the GB front office troubles have been chronicled.

On our front all hints lead to the Bengals Front Office heavily involving Joe’s thoughts. He wants Chase and Higgins and they are trying to make it happen. Even if it doesn’t you get the feeling he will recognize the effort. Joe’s heavily involved with the offense and that’s on Zac. But Duke was just recognized as #3 GM. Looks like our model despite our history is one to mimic.

Who cares? We have Chase and that's all Burrow will care about because he knows he can make anyone else look above average with even average talent.

I'm sure Burrow might also be giving his input into the tight end class in this draft, but Burrow's not a drama queen and won't demand things from the front office and the front office learned its lessons from Palmer in to never let it get to that point.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 03:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Looks like our model despite our history is one to mimic.

Our model? "Get two great WRs and a great QB on rookie contracts simultaneously"? They combined for a cap hit of $15.2m in the year the Bengals went to the Super Bowl. Yes every team would like that, sure. Lol... until the Bengals actually pay the QB and 2 WRs and continue to have success it's neither a model nor one to mimic.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 04:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Our model? "Get two great WRs and a great QB on rookie contracts simultaneously"? They combined for a cap hit of $15.2m in the year the Bengals went to the Super Bowl. Yes every team would like that, sure. Lol... until the Bengals actually pay the QB and 2 WRs and continue to have success it's neither a model nor one to mimic.

That wasn’t the model I was referencing. I was referencing the line of communication. Burrows recent comments about Zac/staff and Mgt sounds like the relationship is solid and I don’t foresee the situations witnessed at GB/Rodgers and Ravens/Lamar. As far as the model you are referencing it’s still a work in progress.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 03:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Who cares? We have Chase and that's all Burrow will care about because he knows he can make anyone else look above average with even average talent.

I'm sure Burrow might also be giving his input into the tight end class in this draft, but Burrow's not a drama queen and won't demand things from the front office and the front office learned its lessons from Palmer in to never let it get to that point.

I’m sure that Burrow is involved in the decision making that he’s approached with. But my point is looking at the Ravens and how far along they should be in their negotiations with Lamar doesn’t seem they enjoy the same kind of cohesion as the Bengals and Joe do.

Reply/Quote
And more drama with Rodgers

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 04:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That wasn’t the model I was referencing. I was referencing the line of communication. Burrows recent comments about Zac/staff and Mgt sounds like the relationship is solid and I don’t foresee the situations witnessed at GB/Rodgers and Ravens/Lamar. As far as the model you are referencing it’s still a work in progress.

Fair, but I also think that line of communication also sounds real easy to keep great while there don't have to be any tough decisions made or years and years built up on it. 

There wasn't a situation with GB/Rodgers until Rodgers wanted old washed up guys he had played with for years to be kept around longer than they were and didn't become openly poor until they got a new GM after 13 years and the new GM drafted Love in 2020, after 15 years with Rodgers and Rodgers heading into his age 37 season. That's something we'll have to see when Chase becomes 29 or 30 after his (presumed) future 4-5 year extension happens or his early-30s an extension after that. Or when Burrow is in his mid/late-30s and has a couple down seasons in a row. 

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 05:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fair, but I also think that line of communication also sounds real easy to keep great while there don't have to be any tough decisions made or years and years built up on it. 

There wasn't a situation with GB/Rodgers until Rodgers wanted old washed up guys he had played with for years to be kept around longer than they were and didn't become openly poor until they got a new GM after 13 years and the new GM drafted Love in 2020, after 15 years with Rodgers and Rodgers heading into his age 37 season. That's something we'll have to see when Chase becomes 29 or 30 after his (presumed) future 4-5 year extension happens or his early-30s an extension after that. Or when Burrow is in his mid/late-30s and has a couple down seasons in a row. 

Hard to see the future but you are right there’s been no tough decisions to test it much. Regardless I still get vibes we are in better shape in the line of communication area.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 03:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This is Bengal related and will get to it.

Ravens hadn't really had a good option in the passing game other than Mark Andrews.
They needed more pass catchers.
I don't think they need BOTH OBJ and Hopkins when they already have Andrews though.
They just got Bateman last draft, so he can be the 3rd option.

Even if the Bengals can't keep Higgins, they could (should) draft a WR (and/or TE) no later than next year to help take the focus off Chase, as Hurst is now gone and Boyd is likely gone after this season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 04:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m sure that Burrow is involved in the decision making that he’s approached with. But my point is looking at the Ravens and how far along they should be in their negotiations with Lamar doesn’t seem they enjoy the same kind of cohesion as the Bengals and Joe do.

(04-15-2023, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ravens hadn't really had a good option in the passing game other than Mark Andrews.
I don't think they need BOTH OBJ and Hopkins when they already have Andrews though.
They just got Bateman last draft, so he can be the 3rd option.

Even if the Bengals can't keep Higgins, they could (should) draft a WR (and/or TE) no later than next year to help take the focus off Chase, as Hurst is now gone and Boyd is likely gone after this season.

Bateman was actually two drafts ago. Neither Bateman or OBJ are great 1st or 2nd options. ObJ, at one point, was (arguably) the best receiver I have ever seen. Injuries have seriously derailed him.

I think OBJ will have sone moments, but I just don’t foresee consistency.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ravens hadn't really had a good option in the passing game other than Mark Andrews.

I wonder how much of that is a chicken and egg situation.

-They had Marquise Brown, but he demanded a trade and he put up 80.8 yards per game before getting hurt.
-They had Willie Snead who had 2 very good seasons with the Saints before some off-field stuff and then went to the Ravens and gradually vanished.
-They had Hayden Hurst and he put up his 3rd and 5th lowest totals of his 5 year career.
-They had John Brown (Lamar had him for half a year) but Brown put up 117 yards in 7 games with Lamar after 601 yards in 9 games with Flacco, and then went to Buffalo and put up 1,060 yards the next year.

I'm not saying they've had amazing options in the passing game with Lamar, they haven't. The Ravens seem to be terrible at drafting WRs... but I think some QBs elevate pass catchers, some QBs have pass catchers produce exactly as they are, and some QBs bring the pass catchers down. Lamar is in the third category.

Mahomes just put up 5,250 passing yards and won a SB and his top-3 WRs were Juju Smith-Schuster, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, and Justin Watson. I know Kelce is better than Andrews, but Lamar has never even thrown for 3,250, let alone 5,250....

Reply/Quote

Wow. It’s pretty amazing you can read Burrow’s mind. But, to read his mind in the future is beyond amazing. You’re like our very own Miss Cleo.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 12:33 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Wow. It’s pretty amazing you can read Burrow’s mind. But, to read his mind in the future is beyond amazing. You’re like our very own Miss Cleo.

Noijustpayattention

Reply/Quote
Frankly, I was tired of the L’AMAR and RODGERS dramas about 4-5 months ago. Don’t care where either of them play, who they play with, or even if they play at all. Just tired of both of them.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 07:09 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Noijustpayattention

Paying attention with an overly active imagination??  To infer that the Bengals and Ravens' situations regarding retaining their star QBs requires a great amount of projection and extrapolation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 12:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Paying attention with an overly active imagination??  To infer that the Bengals and Ravens' situations regarding retaining their star QBs requires a great amount of projection and extrapolation.

It’s a discussion board. No imagination in Joe’s relationship with coach/Mgt vs Lamar’s at this juncture.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 12:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Paying attention with an overly active imagination??  To infer that the Bengals and Ravens' situations regarding retaining their star QBs requires a great amount of projection and extrapolation.

If I were either the Ravens or the Jets, and had to listen to either of these alleged "star" QBs and their demands, I would kick both to the curb.  Being a demeaning prima donna is no way to endear yourself to an NFL franchise, or more importantly, their fans.

No wonder Ravens haven't signed Jackson.   Who wants to put up with that?  Same with the Jets and Rodgers.  You really want to tolerate all that BS?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 02:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s a discussion board. No imagination in Joe’s relationship with coach/Mgt vs Lamar’s at this juncture.

Idk man, you're taking another team's situation and attempting to tie it to the Bengals, as if we should be weary that Joe B. might pull the same sort of stunt as Jackson.  It's a bit far fetched and to call it a reach for "Jungle Noise" is an understatement. Then, I see you in another thread alluding toward the idea that you might have some sort of inside info on a potential Jonah Williams trade.

After all that the elder members of this board have seen over the years, are you f***ing kidding me??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 08:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Idk man, you're taking another team's situation and attempting to tie it to the Bengals, as if we should be weary that Joe B. might pull the same sort of stunt as Jackson.  It's a bit far fetched and to call it a reach for "Jungle Noise" is an understatement. Then, I see you in another thread alluding toward the idea that you might have some sort of inside info on a potential Jonah Williams trade.

After all that the elder members of this board have seen over the years, are you f***ing kidding me??

I’m saying the opposite that our line of communication is very good with Joe and don’t see us going down their paths.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 07:09 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Noijustpayattention

If you paid attention you would know the Lamar Jackson contract is not a failure to communicate situation, Cool Hand. It’s a show me a NFL record amount of guaranteed money situation.
Reply/Quote