Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linemen being released.
See several teams dumping Pro Bowl type offensive linemen. Is this years Oline class that good, and will it do what the last couple of years have done to WR FA's???
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: See several teams dumping Pro Bowl type offensive linemen. Is this years Oline class that good, and will it do what the last couple of years have done to WR FA's???

There saying it's a deep offensive lineman class but I feel like college offensive lineman are hard to evaluate with some of these college offenses. Seems like you can find good WR's in all rounds because the college game is so wide open. The problem with the Bengals plan is you don't know if your guy will be available when you pick and there unproven players. If Sewell isn't there at 5 and they don't like Slater there's no guarantee there will be a tackle in round 2 because that tackle run gets crazy and you still need guards. The other issue is if you start/ rely on two rookies to fix the line you might have to wait for them to develop at the expense of Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:47 PM)lone bengal Wrote: There saying it's a deep offensive lineman class but I feel like college offensive lineman are hard to evaluate with some of these college offenses.  Seems like you can find good WR's in all rounds because the college game is so wide open. The problem with the Bengals plan is you don't know if your guy will be available when you pick and there unproven players. If Sewell isn't there at 5 and they don't like Slater there's no guarantee there will be a tackle in round 2 because that tackle run gets crazy and you still need guards. The other issue is if you start/ rely on two rookies to fix the line you might have to wait for them to develop at the expense of Burrow. 

Yes, get some proven players in FA has to be the plan. Surprised at the amount of good ones still available though...

Hudson, Donald Kelly, Gabe Jackson, Reiff, Reiter, I believe are all still available and there are many more.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, get some proven players in FA has to be the plan. Surprised at the amount of good ones still available though...

Hudson, Donald Kelly, Gabe Jackson, Reiff, Reiter, I believe are all still available and there are many more.

Agreed. There are still some OLmen out there who could help a lot. We didnt get the top level guys, but we can still help the OL with the guys you mentioned, and word has it Kyle Long wants to make a comeback to the NFL. He was an all pro OG before injuries sidelined his career. Well, he says he's healthy now and wants to come back. Even if he didnt come back to his old form, would he be an upgrade over Jordan? Probably so. We have a couple guys who can play OG decently in Spain and XFS. But competition and depth is needed at the minimum, and C should be a priority at this point. There are a few quality C's out there. We can get more in the draft. Still some options is all Im sayin
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, get some proven players in FA has to be the plan. Surprised at the amount of good ones still available though...

Jackson and Trai Turner would be my top options ,there still relatively young/ could return to forum. I wouldn’t pay Hudson big money he’s 32 and Hopkins is only 28. Far as tackle goes I’d be fine with them bringing in a vet but it shouldn’t cost them a ton and if we draft Sewell I’m rolling him and Williams as the future book ends. I don’t want move Williams inside and sacrifice his growth for a stop gap tackle that isn’t part of the future.
Reply/Quote
They need to do SOMETHING. That said, even making this line average is a pretty drastic improvement.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:02 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Agreed. There are still some OLmen out there who could help a lot. We didnt get the top level guys, but we can still help the OL with the guys you mentioned, and word has it Kyle Long wants to make a comeback to the NFL. He was an all pro OG before injuries sidelined his career. Well, he says he's healthy now and wants to come back. Even if he didnt come back to his old form, would he be an upgrade over Jordan? Probably so. We have a couple guys who can play OG decently in Spain and XFS. But competition and depth is needed at the minimum, and C should be a priority at this point. There are a few quality C's out there. We can get more in the draft. Still some options is all Im sayin

Didn't know that with Kyle Long, thanks for that Bengaloo. Maybe with a year of rest he could get back to his prior level.

Bring back Spain, he is a FA. Lots of options as you said. FA doesn't even start until tomorrow, who knows if there are lots more.

(03-16-2021, 06:02 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Jackson and Trai Turner would be my top options ,there still relatively young/ could return to forum. I wouldn’t pay Hudson big money he’s 32 and Hopkins is only 28. Far as tackle goes I’d be fine with them bringing in a vet but it shouldn’t cost them a ton  and if we draft Sewell I’m rolling him and Williams as  the future book ends. I don’t want  move Williams inside and sacrifice his growth for a stop gap tackle that isn’t part of the future.

Good points, I know Turner was bad last year according to PFF but like you said, he is young. Could get better under Pollack.

We need to grab at least a couple OL in Free Agency and we have the dough and the options are out there.
Reply/Quote
Sign me @ league minimum..OK, so I'll be 62 on game day and i only weigh around 150, but I'm good at sitting on benches getting paid way too much to do it.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: They need to do SOMETHING. That said, even making this line average is a pretty drastic improvement.

Well that's kind of my point. We didn't break the bank with Thuney, and evidently weren't all that interested in Zeitler, but look what's happening now on day 2. Pro Bowlers getting released. Any quality starter is going to be an upgrade over Jordan or Redmond.  We didn't get the best, but that doesn't mean they can't still vastly improve the line with what's available, then go into the draft, grab Sewell, maybe Meinerz, or whoever. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well that's kind of my point. We didn't break the bank with Thuney, and evidently weren't all that interested in Zeitler, but look what's happening now on day 2. Pro Bowlers getting released. Any quality starter is going to be an upgrade over Jordan or Redmond.  We didn't get the best, but that doesn't mean they can't still vastly improve the line with what's available, then go into the draft, grab Sewell, maybe Meinerz, or whoever. 

Agreed. And there will be more cuts coming. There will be June 1st cuts, etc. We definitely have time to upgrade the OL. We already did by replacing Turner with Pollack. That may prove to be the best move. But there will be chances to get improvements and better depth on the OL heading towards training camp. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know that with Kyle Long, thanks for that Bengaloo. Maybe with a year of rest he could get back to his prior level.

Bring back Spain, he is a FA. Lots of options as you said. FA doesn't even start until tomorrow, who knows if there are lots more.

Good points, I know Turner was bad last year according to PFF but like you said, he is young. Could get better under Pollack.

We need to grab at least a couple OL in Free Agency and we have the dough and the options are out there.

Yeah Turner was awful last year hoping it was due to a being on new team with a different scheme, combined with injuries in a covid year. He’s been to 5 pro bowls hard to imagine he’s done at 27. Could suck but should be low risk / high reward.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:53 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah Turner was awful last year hoping it was due to a being on new team with a different scheme, combined with injuries in a covid year. He’s been to 5 pro bowls hard to imagine he’s done at 27. Could suck but should be low risk / high reward.

I think a lot of the players out there have a great excuse after last year.

Hard to judge with all the factors. Weird ass year for everyone man.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think a lot of the players out there have a great excuse after last year.

Hard to judge with all the factors. Weird ass year for everyone man.

I think we go after Rodney Hudson and Gabe Jackson. Give both 3 year deals with outs after 2 and draft 2 good OL in the draft this year. I'd still trade back in 1 and get extra picks and then draft Tucker and plug him in at RG. I'd also try to draft Spencer Brown in round 2 or 3 to be the future RT. I'd probably just cut Hopkins and sign him back as a backup for less money.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:50 PM)pulses Wrote: I think we go after Rodney Hudson and Gabe Jackson. Give both 3 year deals with outs after 2 and draft 2 good OL in the draft this year. I'd still trade back in 1 and get extra picks and then draft Tucker and plug him in at RG. I'd also try to draft Spencer Brown in round 2 or 3 to be the future RT. I'd probably just cut  Hopkins and sign him back as a backup for less money.

Would love all of that. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:02 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Agreed. There are still some OLmen out there who could help a lot. We didnt get the top level guys, but we can still help the OL with the guys you mentioned, and word has it Kyle Long wants to make a comeback to the NFL. He was an all pro OG before injuries sidelined his career. Well, he says he's healthy now and wants to come back. Even if he didnt come back to his old form, would he be an upgrade over Jordan? Probably so. We have a couple guys who can play OG decently in Spain and XFS. But competition and depth is needed at the minimum, and C should be a priority at this point. There are a few quality C's out there. We can get more in the draft. Still some options is all Im sayin

Yup we are one injury away from disaster at the few OLine spots we think were fine at. Hopkins, Spain, Williams if one of them get injured for an extended period of time were done. Burrow might be as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:53 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah Turner was awful last year hoping it was due to a being on new team with a different scheme, combined with injuries in a covid year. He’s been to 5 pro bowls hard to imagine he’s done at 27. Could suck but should be low risk / high reward.

He wasn't good the year before last and he was barely above average the year before that. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Said it yesterday, will say it again today: David. Freaking. Andrews.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 01:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Said it yesterday, will say it again today: David. Freaking. Andrews.

Wonder if he is looking to top Linsley's deal?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 04:14 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Wonder if he is looking to top Linsley's deal?

Doubt it; not as high-profile a player AND not as good... but still really good lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
For the last year or so I have been hearing from different sources how there is a shortage of good O-linemen in the NFL. Many claiemd it was due to the proliferation of the spread offense in college.

But with all these good O-linemen getting released it seems that claim might not be true.
Reply/Quote