Lions win
17.24%
10 17.24%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions Game Prediction Thread
(10-18-2021, 12:20 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yes, we should have and did beat the Lions, but I don't fault anyone, given the above sentiment, who thought the reverse was possible.  

A lot of people who picked the Bengals knew it was possible that the Lions could win.

That is completely different from actually picking the Lions to win.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people who picked the Bengals knew it was possible that the Lions could win.

That is completely different from actually picking the Lions to win.

True, but I don't see the one point being all that far from the other.  Your mileage may vary.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:20 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I don't know.  Someone in a thread yesterday said something to the effect that 'this team can beat any other team and any other team can beat this team.' That perfectly crystalized the feeling I had about this team this year but had not put into words.  Every game is not a crapshoot, but both a win and loss are reasonably possible.  

Yes, we should have and did beat the Lions, but I don't fault anyone, given the above sentiment, who thought the reverse was possible.  

It's one thing to worry that we might not be as good as we hope we are and/or a team like the Lions can somehow get the win. But PREDICTING a Lions' victory is another thing and those people should be embarrassed. Because they're not saying "Oh I worry that we'll play down to the Lions and lose". They were saying that the Bengals WILL lose and that the Lions are somehow a better team than we are.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's one thing to worry that we might not be as good as we hope we are and/or a team like the Lions can somehow get the win. But PREDICTING a Lions' victory is another thing and those people should be embarrassed. Because they're not saying "Oh I worry that we'll play down to the Lions and lose". They were saying that the Bengals WILL lose and that the Lions are somehow a better team than we are.

Well, here's everyone that had the sheer audacity to predict a Lions win:

EatonFanGodFatherguyofthetigerIronTigerJoelistNo-huddle JoeTJ528TonyWhoDeyXenoMorph

Please feel free to call them names or whatever will make you feel better today.  For the record, I predicted a Bengals win like all right-thinking people.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:16 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Well, here's everyone that had the sheer audacity to predict a Lions win:

EatonFanGodFatherguyofthetigerIronTigerJoelistNo-huddle JoeTJ528TonyWhoDeyXenoMorph

Please feel free to call them names or whatever will make you feel better today.  For the record, I predicted a Bengals win like all right-thinking people.

Rolleyes

Well, it's against the CoC to call out people, that's why I left it vague so these guys could feel their shame in private. A couple of those guys, I'm not surprised because I'm not even sure they're Bengals fans.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, it's against the CoC to call out people, that's why I left it vague so these guys could feel their shame in private. A couple of those guys, I'm not surprised because I'm not even sure they're Bengals fans.

Well, some are long-time posters and I think they arrived at their prediction honestly.  But, I can see the point you raise in your second sentence.  Yeah, definitely.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:23 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A real teeny, tiny, little one.

Oh.My.God.
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493byzmpqbv6n56bevkpkve...w.gif&ct=g]

Napoleon Dynamite!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Pat Buchanan

You should've voted for Ralph Nader.

Jackson Carman couldn't get enough of Ralph on Sunday.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:32 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: True, but I don't see the one point being all that far from the other.  Your mileage may vary.

I don't know. To me, there's a pretty sizeable distance between possible and probable. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 10:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know. To me, there's a pretty sizeable distance between possible and probable. 

Well, that would depend entirely on how probable, in a given person's opinion, they believed that to be, right?  

So, Dead Horse, agree to disagree.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 10:38 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Well, that would depend entirely on how probable, in a given person's opinion, they believed that to be, right?  

That is 100% true and gets to the crux of the argument. Some chose to believe that the Lions were the better team and would win. 

That is what was railed against. Not, 'trap game, play down to opponent, any given sunday, etc', but more 'the lions are better'. 

TBH, there's prob less than 5 on here that would/did predict like that--from a purely woe-is-me, negative standpoint--so it's not really a big deal and i probably typed a couple more lines than i cared to and you cared to read, so we can just move on and wait till the next stumble, when the negativity will be ramped up again.  Cool

ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 12:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That is 100% true and gets to the crux of the argument. Some chose to believe that the Lions were the better team and would win. 

That is what was railed against. Not, 'trap game, play down to opponent, any given sunday, etc', but more 'the lions are better'. 

TBH, there's prob less than 5 on here that would/did predict like that--from a purely woe-is-me, negative standpoint--so it's not really a big deal and i probably typed a couple more lines than i cared to and you cared to read, so we can just move on and wait till the next stumble, when the negativity will be ramped up again.  Cool

ThumbsUp

Right, it wasn't the Lions specifically they believed to be better.  We could have been playing any bottom feeder team and there still would have been predictions of a loss.  I mean, I predicted a Bengals win and felt fairly confident in that choice, but I honestly would have felt zero surprise if we lost.  The football has been pulled away too many times over too many years.  But, I digress.

On to Baltimore!
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure that almost everyone who predicted a Lions win did so due to "trap game" or our history of having surprising/disappointing losses when expectations are high. GodFather even talked about that with me in this thread.

I called it "Bengals PTSD".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote